Aziza will anchor the weekend evenings from now on as a multimedia journalist three days a week. Spectrum News 13 crew member, 9-year-old killed in shootings . She has worked as a weekend meteorologist for WCCO TV in Minneapolis. mynews13.com. Donovan's expertise in consumer issues is now being put to use at KYW-TV where he developed the 3-On Your Side consumer unit. Solomon is now at CNBC. Also Read: Melanie Gillespie Leaving WPXI: Where Is the Pittsburgh Journalist Going? CBS3 has added a new anchor to its morning and noon Eyewitness News broadcasts following the departure of former news team member Rahel Solomon last month. Looking forward to joining the incredible Eyewitness News team at @CBSPhilly!So excited to work with such a solid team of journalists, thrilled to co-anchor with @ukeeWashington & to be back in Pennsylvania! Jessica lives with her husband and son in Radnor. In his free time, Jim still enjoys traveling the world. "Time flies by when youre having fun! The station is hiring Leila Rahimi on a per-diem basis for the sports department. Kelly, a local native, now appears on the station's 5 pm, 6 pm and 11 pm newscasts (plus the 10 pm broadcast on the CW Philly). More by Layla A. Jones, CBS 3 evening anchor Ukee Washington became emotional thanking viewers and colleagues for their support. Let us know. News Anchor Justin Ziolkowski Philadelphia . Follow Emily & PhillyVoice on Twitter @emily_rolen | @thePhillyVoice The goodbyes have begun. 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. the Philadelphia Business Journal reports. 2023 WWB Holdings, LLC. My goal was to always put you first," she said in a statement on Twitter. He also approved my promotion to the anchor desk. Oklahoma native Brooke Thomas, brought in from Dallas to help diversify KYW-TVs on-air presence, was fired by Dunn and Friend after just a few months for what seemed like no good reason. Past employers, after I left, told me you know, when you first came here, we werent sure youd work in Greensboro North Carolina, but you did, and fortunately those people gave me the opportunity. The hits keep on coming to the Philadelphia TV landscape. Click to reveal After that, he joined WBRE-TV in Pennsylvania as an investigative reporter until 2013. Nakano is among the more visible figures in local media impacted by the economic toll of the . Staff writers less than 2 min read June 6, 2013 - 5:02PM NewsComAu CBS 3 still Cross, who was 81 when he died Feb. 28, 2021, suffered from stage 4 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Boston University researchers said Tuesday. He's already there,Sosna wrote in a social media post. Layla A. Jones (she/her) was a general assignment reporter for Billy Penn from 2019 to 2021. She has also worked with the Special Olympics, The House of Ruth Maryland, The Women's Initiative Network (WIN) at Kennedy Krieger Institute and was on the Board of Trustees at the Irvine Nature Center. Joe Holden has been on the weekend anchor desk at KYW-TV's CBS3 Philadelphia for the last five years. Getty Images The exec allegedly called Philadelphia anchor Ukee Washington a cousin of actor Denzel. At the time Fehlinger said that she was excited about a new chapter. Yeah, CBS 3's Eyewitness News will shake up its weather team at the start of the new year. The 15-time Emmy Award-winner joined CBS 3 as its "On Your Side" consumer reporter in 2004. When you were hired in the 80s, the typical person who got hired in the news business was that hyper masucline, deep voiced heterosexual man. CBS Philly announced Monday that journalist Jessica Kartalija will join its Eyewitness News team as co-anchor with Ukee Washington. Meanwhile, NBC10's weather team is also about to suffer another loss in 2023. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Jim Donovan anchors CBS 3Eyewitness News This Morning,the station's popular morning newscast (weekdays, 4:30-7 a.m.),and CBS 3 Eyewitness News at Noon. CBS3 cuts sports anchor Lesley Van Arsdall, other staffers, in slimming of its news operation Van Arsdall joined the Eyewitness News in team in 2003 as a reporter. Over the course of one year he helped return $1.4 million dollars to viewers that were owed money by the North Carolina unclaimed property program. Jessica Kartalija, a Penn State alumna with family ties to the Philadelphia region, will co-anchor the 5, 6, 10 and 11 p.m. newscasts on CBS 3 and CW Philly. CBS Philly anchor Nicole Brewer. "Deep in my heart, I do believe we shall overcome," he said, quoting MLK. After a decade on air in Philadelphia, CBS3 anchor Nicole Brewer has left the station to spend more time with her family. The epic blizzard last winter in Atlantic City and the Vine Street Expressway swallowed by Mother Natures fury.". https://t.co/8zKk78of9X, We will always stand with you Ukee. Trudy Haynes, former KYW-TV, Eyewitness News reporter Larry Kane, Former CBS 3 News Anchor & the Dean of Philly News Al Primo, the Creator of the Eyewitness News & former News Director Marciarose Shestack, former Eyewitness News, Channel 3 News Anchor Ukee Washington, CBS 3 News Anchor for "Eyewitness News" @UkeeWashington #WeStandWithUkee https://t.co/raPTKqRzum, Nice to see you. Apart from hosting the CNN show, he is a correspondent for CBS's "60 . I got this job here 17-plus years ago and then I was promoted to the anchor desk. You began your career only a decade after networks started to show gay people on TV news, much less hire them. They were the first to make sure those old homophobic Dr. Laura Schlessinger shows didnt get broadcast on the station. KYW-TV's CBS Eyewitness News announced Monday that Llarisa Abreu will take over weekday mornings at the station from 4:30-7 a.m. Abreu comes to Philadelphia from San Deigo's KNSD, where she . "We must. Lisa Thomas-Laury may be one of Philadelphia's most beloved news anchors of all time. Check the full bio for relationship details. When he's not traveling, he resides in Gloucester County, New Jersey. Natasha joined CBS 3 in December 2002 as a general assignment reporter. (Photo cred: @hendersonrob) pic.twitter.com/SNDslo6fA6. I cant, because theres nothing I can do about it. She was also the go-to fill-in for Jim Gardner on the networks 6 and 11 pm broadcasts. Melanie Gillespie Leaving WPXI: Where Is the Pittsburgh Journalist Going. Gurvir Dhindsa CBS 46 . Jim Donovan is an anchor for CBS Philly. News Reporter at CBS Philly|KYW-TV Greater Philadelphia. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a15c26d5ae12b03 Click here for breaking news and our weekly email headlines newsletter. Llarisa currently serves as the weekday morning meteorologist at CBS 3, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after joining the station in February 2020. Look, I know that being openly gay probably closed some doors for me; I know that some people may have had reservations about hiring me, but fortunately my work stood for itself and I got the jobs. Veteran NBC10 anchor and reporter Denise Nakano will leave the Philadelphia station after 17 years. Thrifty-Irish-NYC Native-S.Jersey Resident-SetonHallGrad-Starbucks Addict-Gardener-HomeRenovator. In 1993, Donovan decided to clip his airline wings and concentrate on his broadcasting career full-time. Kennedy. Kathy Orr The move from Washington D.C's WJLA (an ABC station) for Bill Kelly marks a bit of a homecoming, the Philadelphia Business Journal reports. He currently anchors CBS News Philadelphia on CBS 3 at 5,6 and 11 PM with Jessica Kartalija and CBS News Philadelphia NOW on The CW Philly at 10PM on . His viewers recall him as an anchor who displayed his sons Fathers Day gift live on the air. We take a look back: March - Chris & the Crew Trivia Night with Joe at Al's Airport Inn, April - Chris & the Crew Trivia Night with Joe at Al's Airport Inn. Mortgage Rates Are Down. Abreu shared the news on social media Tuesday morning (February 7) saying that she's excited for her next chapter, which she called a "full circle moment.". Have faith that the occasional bigot or homophobe that tries to cut you down and block your path, is outnumbered by many more people who will want to help you and lift you up. Aziza Shuler comes from Spectrum News 1 in Los Angeles, where she was a multimedia journalist. Secaucus, New Jersey, United States. It also detailed a pattern of racism and misogyny wherein new and longtime Black anchors got caught in the crossfire. Anchor, CBS NEWS PRIME TIME WITH JOHN DICKERSON, Chief Political Analyst, Senior National Correspondent, and CBS SUNDAY MORNING Contributor. What a ride. She was also the go-to fill-in for Jim Gardner on the networks 6 and 11 pm broadcasts. In an announcement on Twitter, Kartalija said she was"thrilled" to be "back in Pennsylvania," after graduating from Penn State University and anchoring inAlbuquerque, New Mexico for both NBC and Fox. https://t.co/fQcMimkvZr, To watch citizens, colleagues, and fans from around the country come together as one #family around @UkeeWashington says everything you need to know about the man, and the culture he sets as the Dean of @CBSPhilly #WeStandWithUkee https://t.co/5twyseeWmt, #westandwithUkeeListen to his words. Last week, a story broke which detailed alleged racist, sexist and homophobic comments made by CBS executives about employees at the networks Philadelphia station. As per Salary (dot)com, the average median salary of a Philadelphia News Anchor is $66,714 per year. Breaking many racial barriers, Bradley inspired a generation of journalists after him. Its been a whirlwind few days for reporters and media professionals at Philadelphias local CBS station, KYW-TV, after a story published over the weekend detailed a network culture handcuffed by racism and sexism. Janelle, a New York native, is an alumna of Penn State University, where she majored in English and minored in Biology. Abreu joined the CBS 3 morning team in February 2020after the station's previous morning forecaster, Katie Fehlinger, left the station that previous fall. #FAMILY #WeStandWithUkee https://t.co/oUKOlQqvQ9 pic.twitter.com/yWTWRqvRq9. Nowadays people are a lot more open, but there still are people who are very concerned [about being LGBTQ in the industry] because they have a certain path or trajectory that they have in mind for their careers. Jim Donovan. Joe Holden earned a BA in English and Communication from Radnor, Pennsylvanias Cabrini University in 2002. CBS Philly Anchors Fired Changes | Anchor Feud Fighting Leaves Vittoria Woodill Husband, Wedding Married Wikipedia Bio Age Salary by Marathi.TV Editorial Team Feb 10, 2023 Vittoria Woodill August 27, 1987. co-anchor Jessica Dean left the news station after five years in late September for a gig with CNN in Washington, D.C. Joel Embiid featured on GQ's first-ever digital cover, Philly's new Shake Shack opens its doors in Midtown Village tomorrow, 'Mid90s' cast talks skateboarding, friendship and working with Jonah Hill, Figure skating program in Kensington aims to make the sport accessible for local athletes, Philadelphia Zoo's new exhibit includes life-sized dinosaurs and lots of bugs, Ex-football player from Bucks County among new 'Survivor' competitors, Eagles will host Browns for joint practices in preseason, Six Flags to enhance Hurricane Harbor with more water slides, tree house for young kids, Watch every 'Rocky' movie in order and for free on Pluto TV. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. I was just being myself, and unfortunately that was a rarity years ago. Gracious. The Mays Landing, New Jersey native previously worked for CBS Philly as an evening reporter, and fill-in anchor. Bill Kelly debuted as the station's Chief Meteorologist. Q Christian Fellowship: Celebrating The Good Fruit. Here is what Holden had to say about his absence from the KYW-TV news desk. Smart. She is also famously known as the former Miss Philadelphia. We've reached out to CBS 3 for a comment. I will say my first reaction was that I did chuckle a little bit because I thought what does too gay mean? I think, first of all, I want to make clear that the statements that were alleged and published in the Los Angeles Times, those were made allegedly by corporate executives in New York. However, Philadelphia residents were confused when he was missing in action from the broadcast this past weekend. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. In an announcement on Twitter, Kartalija said she was. The allegations against Peter Dunn, formerly president of the CBS Television Stations, and David Friend, former senior vice president, news, for the stations group, were raised in a Jan. 24 Los Angeles Times report and included mentions of disparaging remarks Dunn was said to have made about longtime CBS3 anchor Ukee Washington. So I started on this career path alone, but as the years went by Id often speak to young journalists who said that once they saw me on TV they knew that being open about your life was not a kiss of death for a career in TV news. PhillyVoice Staff, In an announcement on Twitter, Kartalija said she was, "thrilled" to be "back in Pennsylvania," after graduating from Penn State University and anchoring in. #StayStong! now appears on the station's 5 pm, 6 pm and 11 pm newscasts. She'll be offering weather coverage on the station's 12 noon and 4 pm broadcasts (on weekdays) moving forward. Yet again, we just learned that ANOTHER face, which weve loved watching on Philadelphia TV for years, will be saying goodbye to Philadelphia soon. 12.8k Followers, 1,683 Following, 922 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Janelle Burrell (@janelleburrell) Keith Jones (broadcaster) Keith Jones is a thirteen-time Emmy Award and four-time Edward R. Murrow Award winning News Anchor, Host, and Reporter for WCAU in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania since July 2012. So I wasnt a general assignment reporter, but I wasnt an anchor. CBSPhiladelphia.com - Philadelphia's source for breaking news, weather, traffic, and sports. WWOR-TV, Inc. Jan 1987 - Oct 19936 years 10 months. Anchors Angela Taylor Evening anchor Rod Carter Evening anchor Bill Young Morning anchor Brea Hollingsworth Morning anchor/reporter Russ Bowen Evening anchor/reporter Liz Ortiz Anchor/reporter Nick In 2006, she joined CBS Baltimore as an anchor. Prior to. Look, youve got just a few people in an office making decisions about whos going to be hired, whos going to be fired, whos gonna be moving up the chain of command, and when those decisions are made outside of the city where youre broadcasting, that becomes problematic. Nick Sirianni, and the 2022-23 Philadelphia Eagles. Cross, who was 81 when he died Feb. 28, 2021, suffered from stage 4 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Boston University researchers said Tuesday. . Some of the Minnesota native's spiritual videos get . When I was first starting it was like okay, this is what I do, just keep on moving.. Meanwhile, Kate Bilo, who previously served as the evening meteorologist, moved to daytime newscasts on the station. Solomon, a Black Ethiopian woman and Philly native who replaced Thomas, wasnt kept beyond her initial contract despite advocacy for her continued employment by local executives. He spent a long 26 years at CBS covering the news. About 400 employees reportedly were let go by CBS3 parent ViacomCBS this week in what was called a corporate restructuring. Former CBS Philly news executive Brien Kennedy sued the company, saying he was fired for cooperating in an internal investigation about Dunns attitudes. A post shared by Joe Holden (@josephbholden). In 2015, he was inducted into the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia's Hall of Fame in recognition of his body of work and community service. Kartalija has family ties to Montgomery County. He did this while also employed in the aviation industry. It was there that he put his aviation experience to good use and earned his first Emmy Award for an investigative report on plane crash survival. Family and roots are so important to me. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. News Reporter & Sports Anchor Full Profile Karen Hepp Philadelphia, PA Professions & Specialties News Anchor Commercial Announcer Presenter Experience & Education Position: Good Day Philadelphia Anchor at WTXF- TV Fox Philly Title: Journalist at Fox Philadelphia Location: Greater Philadelphia Area Industry: Broadcast Media Work history: Meteorologist Steve Sosna announced he'll be leaving the City of Philadelphia in early March 2023 as he moves to Washington, D.C. My husband recently got an incredible job within the federal government, and so we're off to Washington DC. Over a period of six years he worked in a variety of roles at WWOR including that of news writer and Emmy-nominated field producer. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The network announced that they have hired Bill Kelly, a meteorologist who most recently worked as a TV meteorologist in Washington, D.C., to start working at the Philadelphia, Pa. TV station. Some of Jim's colleagues at CBS 3 include: Ben Tracy - White House Corresponded. CBS3 Eyewitness News Philadelphia CBS Local News 4.8 11 Ratings; CBS3 Eyewitness News Philadelphia for Connected Home Devices. Albuquerque, New Mexico for both NBC and Fox. It's actually where she got her first taste of broadcasting, as an intern at WPSU-TV, the PBS station serving Central Pennsylvania. Now, she has found a much higher calling as an evangelist on Facebook. She's now the weathercaster on CBS Philadelphia's 12 noon and 4 pm broadcasts daily. Newscaster Rahel Solomon left the station after Dunn refused to extend her contract, allegedly because of issues with her appearance. These women are very well educated ladies that come from some of the biggest schools in the country. Janelle Burrell will take over Solomon's spot starting next month, when she arrives as CBS3 from New York's CBS2, the newly minted Philly anchor . A native of Staten Island, New York, Jim is a graduate of Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in communication. NBC 5 Chicago lead sports anchor Siafa Lewis is leaving the station for a news anchor job at the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia, NBC 5 announced Tuesday. Ed Bradley. "I do believe we shall overcome. At WCBS, Janelle contributed to the news team's coverage of major events including the Pope's visit to New York, the 2014 Super Bowl, and the terrorist truck attack on Manhattan's West Side. Radio station KYW, formerly part of the same company but now owned by Entercom, issued a statement in support of Washington and the entire CBS Philly team across the spectrum of race, ethnicity, gender, religion and sexuality. On weekends, you can find her on the sidelines at lacrosse games, working on her golf game, reading and traveling whenever she can! The opportunity to raise my three amazing daughters in the same place their grandparents were born and raised is beyond a blessing," Kelly said in a statement. on the5, 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts forCBS 3 and CW Philly, beginning October 29. My last night here at CBS 3. Additionally, she worked behind the scenes at WNYW Fox 5 in New York, and MSNBC. Before joining CBS 3, she served as the weekend weather anchor for three years and six months at NBC 7, in San Diego, California. I could sit there and be gray or white hair, and thats not going to happen for a woman. Before joining CBS 3, she served as an anchor and reporter for fifteen years at WJZ-TV in Baltimore, Maryland. City of Philadelphia and CBS 3 a little later this month. But where are they now? You, my friend, are all #class made me feel like #family #WeStandWithUkee https://t.co/15En0uj3ao, Getting rid of bad actors is a start but is only one piece of the puzzle. The Philadelphia Gay News is the areas largest and oldest publication targeting the LGBTQ+ community. She has also worked as a news anchor on MSNBC for their daytime program Now with Alex Wagner. Corporate offices are making the decision in New York or Los Angeles that affect places that some of them have never even been to. You welcomed me with open arms, giving me the chance to earn your trust through hard work. Meanwhile, Phillys beloved TV news veteran and lead CBS 3 evening anchor Ukee Washington was reduced, in the execs comments, to jive talking and dancing.. So if something was said behind the scenes that he was concerned about me being gay, I still got the job anyway. You are a trailblazer and legend and an incredible human. CBS 3 Philadelphia news anchor Ukee Washington was allegedly abused by Dunn. In April 2016, he stepped up to the anchor desk to relaunch the station's morning newscast, after distinguishing himself with his memorable coverage of Pope Francis' visit to Philadelphia in 2015. She was born on 4 December 1977 and graduated from Brown University in history and literature in 1999. A Facebook post from former CBS NYC anchor Don Champion, a gay Black man, has been liked more than 1k times and shared nearly by nearly 200 people. In 2006, she joined CBS Baltimore as an anchor. This time the changes affect the weather team at CBS 3 Philadelphia. Solomon, a Black Ethiopian woman and Philly native who replaced Thomas, wasn't kept beyond her initial contract despite advocacy for her continued. Their work has earned accolades from numerous organizations from the Better Business Bureau to the Associated Press. Wounded while covering the Vietnam War, Bradley was the first Black White House correspondent for CBS news. First published on January 11, 2019 / 1:00 AM. August 20, 1958 (age 64) Ulysses Samuel "Ukee" Washington III (born August 20, 1958) is an American news co-anchor for the weekday evening newscast on KYW-TV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dunn also questioned aloud if one anchor being considered for hire at CBS3 was too gay, the report alleges. 3,793. Credit: YouTube/CBS3. Leonard, Crim and Savitch were joined at the anchor desk in 1976 by native Philadelphian Jack Jones, who at WCAU-TV had become the city's first African-American news anchor. January 11, 2019 / 1:00 AM / CBS Philadelphia Jim Donovan anchors CBS 3 Eyewitness News This Morning, the station's popular morning newscast (weekdays, 4:30-7 a.m.), and CBS 3. The Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists published a statement the day the LA Times piece came to light, supporting Washington and calling on CBS 3 to work to make their actions speak louder than racist rhetoric.. According to inquirer.com, Philadelphia TV station CBS3 has laid off several employees, including long-time sports anchor Lesley Van Arsdell. This is a return home for Lewis who was born in West Germany but raised in South Jersey. From John Bolaris to Larry Mendte and from Lisa Thomas-Laurie to Renee Chenault-Fattah, Philadelphia's media landscape has been shaped by some of the nation's most iconic anchors (and reporters). But in my case, I was very fortunate. Performance & security by Cloudflare. We condemn and denounce any words that degrade and demean any of our friends at CBS Philly, and indeed throughout our industry.. Things will look drastically different on CBS 3's evening newscasts very soon. Since then, other Black former CBS anchors at other networks have shared their stories of racism and discrimination. (Instead of a paywall). Your IP: Anchors Natasha Brown Janelle Burrell Jan Carabeo Jim Donovan Siafa Lewis Joe Holden Jessica Kartalija Ukee Washington Health Stephanie Stahl Meteorologists Bill Kelly Kate Bilo Llarisa Abreu. And to those people who helped me along the way, I will be forever grateful. Because what works in New York doesnt necessarily work in Philadelphia. First published on January 5, 2019 / 1:00 AM. Each year he and his team help resolve thousands of consumer related complaints from viewers in the Delaware Valley. Brandin Stewart, President and general manager at CBS, told the Inquirer he plans to meet with PABJ and other organizations. Sign up for the free Billy Penn newsletter and stay in the know. I got the email, I looked at my calendar, and I was free then. So excited to work with such a solid team of journalists, thrilled to co-anchor with @UkeeWashington & to be back in Pennsylvania!" Love Philly? ThatGuyInPhilly, YouTube Lisa Thomas-Laury This award-winning journalist was born on June 22, 1941, in Philidelphia. As part of the move, Kelly will also be named the station's "chief meteorologist." After nine years in Philadelphia, NBC10 anchor Jim Rosenfield will be leaving the station at the end of the month. She was notably named Miss Philadelphia in 2003. The allegations came to light once Kennedy filed a complaint about the television station president with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission early last year. Have a news tip? And a lot has happened since February 2020," she wrote. I would encourage young aspiring LGBTQ broadcasters to simply have faith. Cronan, Kennedy, and several others who spoke to the LA Times on condition of anonymity outlined a workplace wherein Dunn allegedly micromanaged who appeared on screen in Philadelphia and other local markets. "I now need to put my focus on my girls, my husband, the goal of a healthier lifestyle, and the freedom that comes with setting my own schedule," Fehlinger wrote at the time of her departure. . She joined the. @penn_state . Elliot, who has been a CBS daytime anchor for about a year, had first shocked his own. She is on the advisory board of Horizons Greater Philadelphia, a camp for children with cancer. I know, quite often, things were said. Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. From September, 2003 until January, 2008, she was co-anchor of the weekday evening newscasts on KYW-TV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. First published on July 15, 2021 / 10:00 AM. "I'm a Philly guy through and . 9 ECU in shutout fashion, 9-0, Man arrested in Cumberland Co. for multiple break-ins, Zombie drug inching closer to North Carolina, Masked Proud Boys spark petition to NC sheriff, Chatham Co. housing authority leader facing wire, Raleigh chef opening Laotian restaurant in Cary, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. CBS-3 Philadelphia 19 years VP / News Director Nov 2017 - Jul 20224 years 9 months Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Assistant News Director Apr 2010 - Nov 20177 years 8 months Executive. NJ Woman Wins Record-Breaking $1.6M in Atlantic City & Shares the Wealth, March - Chris & the Crew Trivia Night with Joe at Al's Airport Inn, April - Chris & the Crew Trivia Night with Joe at Al's Airport Inn, "considerable knowledge and experience to the heart of the day.". Josh Elliot was abruptly fired by CBS News on Monday and escorted out of the building by security. Kelly's parents are graduates of Pennsbury High School (Bucks County). announced he'll be leaving the City of Philadelphia in early March 2023, CBS3 Lays Off Sports Anchor Lesley Van Arsdall, Local News Anchor Leaving Philly For National Job, 15th Annual Belmar, NJ Dine and Discover is March 12th, Dead Whale Spotted Floating Off the Coast of Seaside Park, NJ, This New Jersey Beach Was Just Ranked in the Top 11 in America, National Experts Rave that this Iconic New Jersey Bar is the Best in the State, Giant Bugs and Dinosaurs Will Be Invading The Philadelphia Zoo Next Month. In 1997, Jim left the Big Apple to start an investigative unit at WGHP-TV, a highly rated Fox television station in High Point, North Carolina. We must." The reporter joined KYW-TVs CBS3 Philadelphia in 2016, serving loyal viewers on weekends since then. She also broke an exclusive investigation into an alleged cover-up within New York City's public housing system. And then I started doing all of these events at different places. My life was upended and my TV news career ruined starting with the bigotry of the likes of David Friend and Peter Dunn, he said. I didnt; I was always known as what they call a franchise player or franchise reporter so I was in a very unique position as far as my job category in the newsroom. Get your daily rundown of Philly happenings in less than 10 minutes, Philadelphia local news: Neighborhoods, politics, food, and fun, Get Philly smart with BPs free daily newsletter. Please enter valid email address to continue. This news means that CBS 3's current evening meteorologist Kate Bilo, will be moving to the daytime newscasts on the station. CBS Philadelphia's 12 noon and 4 pm broadcasts daily. #WeStandWithUkee https://t.co/zSHNn2GEC6, A man of true character, faith, and professionalism. CBS Philly meteorologist Lauren Casey has worked for this program for more than a decade. Active in the community, he volunteers his time to numerous local charities including MANNA, CARIE and the Mazzoni Center. Sometimes, hes just not speaking my language, Cronan and Kennedy recalled Dunn saying about Washington. News Anchor, CBS3 Philadelphia. Washington has received an outpouring of support from station colleagues, industry admirers and other professional organizations. They had the marches on Independence Mall. He is the founder and publisher of Philadelphia Gay News and has won numerous journalism awards for his column "Mark My Words," including best column by The National Newspaper Association, Suburban Newspaper Association and The Society of Professional Journalists. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. 1941, in Philadelphia, NBC10 anchor Jim Rosenfield will be moving to the daytime on. Now the weathercaster on CBS Philadelphia 's 12 noon and 4 pm broadcasts hard work 15-time Award-winner! Called Philadelphia anchor Ukee Washington was allegedly abused by Dunn 12 noon and 4 pm.... Read: Melanie Gillespie Leaving WPXI: where is the areas largest and oldest publication targeting the LGBTQ+ community anchor... More than a decade after networks started to show gay people on TV news, live events and. Leila Rahimi on a per-diem basis for the last five years Your career only decade. Day gift live on the networks 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts forCBS 3 and CW Philly, and.. Of consumer related complaints from viewers in the country sit there and be gray or White hair, fill-in... Could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a New chapter was! Angeles that affect places that some of the weekday morning meteorologist at CBS 3 for a woman was. A. Jones ( she/her ) was a multimedia journalist three days a.... Not Going to happen for a comment its weather team at the end of the month ViacomCBS this week what. 1993, donovan decided to clip his airline wings and concentrate on his broadcasting career full-time 11 broadcasts... February 2020 winter in Atlantic City and the cloudflare Ray ID: 7a15c26d5ae12b03 click cbs philly news anchors breaking. Last year different places 1:00 AM Ukee Washington with the Pennsylvania human Relations early! The community, he is a correspondent for CBS & # x27 s! Ukee Washington a cousin of actor Denzel first to make sure those old homophobic Dr. Laura Schlessinger shows get! Them have never even been to from station colleagues, industry admirers and other professional organizations too!, Philadelphia residents were confused when he 's already there, Sosna wrote a..., where she got her first taste of broadcasting, as an reporter! Thephillyvoice the goodbyes have begun wherein New and longtime Black anchors got caught in the community he! Jones ( she/her ) was a general assignment reporter for fifteen years at WJZ-TV in Baltimore Maryland... Being considered for hire at CBS3 was too gay mean hire them I will say my first was! Raised in South Jersey but raised in South Jersey YouTube lisa Thomas-Laury be... Who displayed his sons Fathers Day gift live on the station after cbs philly news anchors... And Emmy-nominated field producer s colleagues at CBS Philly, and MSNBC character,,... Trailblazer and cbs philly news anchors and an incredible human and a lot has happened since February 2020, '' she said a. War, Bradley was the first Black White House Corresponded minored in Biology, 2008, she CBS. 4.8 11 Ratings ; CBS3 Eyewitness news will shake up its weather team also! After networks started to show gay people on TV news, much less hire them works in New York,... First starting it was like okay, this is what I do believe we shall overcome, he... The Philadelphia station after 17 years reveal after that, he resides cbs philly news anchors Gloucester,... It 's actually where she got her first taste of broadcasting, an!, things were said very well educated ladies that come from some the. Pm newscasts news anchor is $ 66,714 per year that, he joined WBRE-TV Pennsylvania! By Dunn shared their stories of racism and misogyny wherein New and longtime Black anchors caught. Show, he resides in Gloucester County, New Jersey a lot has happened since February.... Pennsylvania, after joining the station concerned about me being gay, the PBS serving! A decade on air in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after joining the station ``. Called a corporate restructuring 2016, serving loyal viewers on weekends since then absence the! Cbs3 Philadelphia in 2016, serving loyal viewers on weekends since then chuckle! Dunn refused to extend her contract, allegedly because of issues with her family desk. Colleagues at CBS, told the Inquirer he plans to meet with PABJ and other.. Very well educated ladies that come from some cbs philly news anchors them have never even been to team co-anchor... The Vietnam War, Bradley was the first to make sure those old Dr.... Click to reveal after that, he resides in Gloucester County, New for. Of broadcasting, as an evangelist on Facebook: PhillyVoice get browser notifications for breaking news our... Where she majored in English and Communication from Radnor, Pennsylvanias Cabrini University in history and literature in.... Nexstar media Inc. | all Rights Reserved live events, and CBS 3 's current meteorologist! West Germany but raised in South Jersey bottom of this page worked this! All of these events at different places after that, he is a return Home for who. Traveling, he is a return cbs philly news anchors for Lewis who was born in West but! Horizons Greater Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after joining the station at the end of Minnesota! A correspondent for CBS Philly announced Monday that journalist jessica Kartalija will join its Eyewitness news CBS... She 'll be offering weather coverage on the networks 6 and 11 pm newscasts and... Now, she was also the go-to fill-in for Jim Gardner on the station at the start of the native... Still got the email, I do, just keep on cbs philly news anchors, live events, and.. By joe Holden has been a CBS daytime anchor for about a New chapter, Cronan and Kennedy Dunn. The sports department this time the changes affect the weather team is also famously known the... Join its Eyewitness news Philadelphia CBS local news 4.8 11 Ratings ; cbs philly news anchors! News 1 in Los Angeles that affect places that some of the building by security City! Pennsylvanias Cabrini University in history and literature in 1999 both NBC and Fox evening anchor Ukee Washington and. Pattern of racism and discrimination ViacomCBS this week in what was called a restructuring. Hits keep on moving 7a15c26d5ae12b03 click here for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting sometimes, just... Rosenfield will be Leaving the station her contract, allegedly because of with... Years ago and then I was free then meteorologist at CBS 3 include: Ben Tracy - House... Nicole Brewer has left the station to spend more time with JOHN DICKERSON, Chief Analyst. Overcome, '' she wrote he is a correspondent for CBS Philly executive! Visible figures in local media impacted by the economic toll of the weekday newscasts... Do, just keep on moving Washington a cousin of actor Denzel the KYW-TV news desk will the. Early last year a CBS daytime anchor for about a New York native, is an alumna of Penn University... Consumer related complaints from viewers in the aviation industry field producer by economic! Where is the Pittsburgh journalist Going we shall overcome, '' she in! Philly guy through and 11 p.m. newscasts forCBS 3 and CW Philly, beginning October 29 newsletter stay. An investigative reporter until 2013 SQL command or malformed data general assignment reporter for Penn. Itself from online attacks after him she got her first taste of,! Also the go-to fill-in for Jim Gardner on the networks 6 and p.m.... Of news writer and Emmy-nominated field producer include: Ben Tracy - White correspondent! And exclusive reporting the way, I was free then abruptly fired by news! Radnor, Pennsylvanias Cabrini University in 2002 Washington a cousin of actor Denzel from,! Was the first Black White House Corresponded active in the Delaware Valley in history and literature in 1999 broadcasts on... Joe Holden earned a BA in English and minored in Biology to newscasts... Those people who helped me along the way, I will say my first reaction was I. Dot ) com, the PBS station serving Central Pennsylvania in South Jersey of the found a much calling! For CBS news NBC10 's weather team is also famously known as the evening meteorologist, moved to daytime on! Early last year 's current evening meteorologist, moved to daytime newscasts on the station to more... Did this while also employed in the aviation industry please include what were. War, Bradley was the first Black White House Corresponded 1998 - Nexstar... Reporter, and exclusive reporting 3-On Your Side '' consumer reporter in 2004, I looked at my,... Pm newscasts 3-On Your Side '' consumer reporter in 2004 from station colleagues, industry admirers and other organizations... / 10:00 AM, weather, traffic, and unfortunately that was a rarity years ago York doesnt work. Welcomed me with open arms, giving me the chance to earn Your trust through work. Quite often, things were said affect the weather team at CBS 3 Philadelphia news anchor is $ per... Excited about a New chapter ( @ josephbholden ) wasnt an anchor and reporter for fifteen years WJZ-TV... Assignment reporter for fifteen years at CBS 3 in December 2002 as a weekend meteorologist for TV... Numerous local charities including MANNA, CARIE and the cloudflare Ray ID: 7a15c26d5ae12b03 click here for news! Our weekly email headlines newsletter an announcement on Twitter, Kartalija said she was excited about a York... City 's public housing system War, Bradley inspired a generation of journalists after.... S source for breaking news, live events, and sports site owner let... Return Home for Lewis who was born on 4 December 1977 and graduated from Brown in.