I'm hoping Volt owners are utilizing the car's plug-in recharge ability to its full potential." The 2016 Volt has an 8-inch screen compared to the previous generation's 7-inch screen. We're supposed to be talking about the 2016 Chevrolet Volt long-term test car I drove home a couple nights ago. These hooks just push into the trim and turn, but that turn requires more force than my fingers could apply. The LT's standard cloth seating can be upgraded to leather-appointed upholstery via the Power Convenience Package, which is standard on the Premier. It still has enough unique touches to make it different, yet it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard. Average lifetime mpg: 37.7 EPA mpg rating: 42 combined Average electric range: 51.4 Best electric range: 75 miles EPA electric range rating: 53 miles Current odometer: 26,413 miles, Logbook Highlights Performance "Chevy deserves particular praise for the Volt's nearly seamless transition from EV to hybrid operation. 2018 Chevrolet Volt (314 listings) 31 Great deals starting at $14,000. This on a car rated at 53 miles of electric range." SiriusXM 3-month trial subscription. There are two sets of LATCH car-seat connectors on the Volts rear outboard seats, along with an upper tether on the middle seat. As expected, the first run was the quickest with the batteries at full charge. (DB). 11: Stupid regen paddle. L is great when you are tooling around town and want to utilize the regenerative braking paddle on the steering wheel, but when coming from a standard dinosaur-burning vehicle, using a paddle to stop takes some getting used to. Center console? A failure to record the switchover from electric to gas modes means a loss of useful data. That's right: Google Maps. The Volt does not. Skip to Main Content. Seat position up and down; Tilt seat cushion up and down; . I may also suffer from a mild level of OCD, so perhaps I'm in the minority. Sure enough, I arrived at the office Thursday morning with nine miles remaining. With the second-row seats folded we fit all of our luggage with room to spare. Second Row Headroom/Legroom/Shoulder Room 39.90 inches/42.00 inches/64.00 inches. I drove 44.1 city miles on Friday before I plugged in to a 120V Level 1 outlet at home with nine miles remaining. There's a scene in the 1991 movie L.A. Story when Steve Martin's character gets in his Chrysler LeBaron to drive to his friend's house. This is a comprehensively better car than the one it replaces. In keeping with the fast-talking, Vegas hustler theme, I'll present my impressions in rapid-fire fashion. And one of those is the ability to comfortably seat adults in the back. However, unlike most hybrids, power still primarily flows through the electric motor, providing a more EV-like feel when pressing on the throttle pedal. CarPlay and Android Auto hiccups. Maintenance and Upkeep A tire patch set us back $20. Most redesigned vehicles these days are incrementally improved. Not sure if it's the seat material, plastics, or if something got spilled inside (didn't see anything when I checked), but the smell is disappointing, especially when you're trying to show off how much you like the car to a neighbor." There's less cargo space than in rivals. It was totally seamless." I was attempting to install the small sheet of fabric that Chevrolet deems fit to call a cargo cover when one off the hook points comes loose. Edmunds purchased this vehicle for the purpose of evaluation. "[The interior] is more upscale than the previous model's, with two-tone color schemes, easy-to-use audio and climate controls and a pair of 8-inch information screens. I try sliding my left leg under the brake pedal. thank you, Chevy, for the extendable sun visors), but on my commute there were moments when the chrome surround of the bowtie on the steering wheel reflected the afternoon sun directly into my eyeballs. The moral, of course, is to always carry chains if you think you might encounter snow (I didn't encounter snowy roads on this trip outside of this brief foray) or to get a set of real winter tires if you live where snow is part of the usual seasonality. You can find us at 16550 IH 35 NORTH in SELMA, TX 78154-1460, only a short drive from San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Seguin. Plenty of range, carpool stickers and up-to-date technology that keeps you connected while on the road. 3500HD CC Sonic Spark Spark EV SS Suburban Tahoe Traverse Trax Volt . I had no problem seeing through the glass when it was dry. Several recall campaigns. Glovebox? Test drive this new 2023 White Chevrolet Trailblazer in CORTLAND at Lou Wollam Chevrolet. As an owner, I'd happily drive it every day in hybrid mode if I had to." March was nearly over when I decided to call our Volt dealer to set up a time to bring it in. After all, with anywhere from 50 to 70 miles of electric range, you can drive for an entire day on electricity without even thinking about it. Maybe I'm still too entrenched in the mpg mindset where efficiency promises are always viewed with suspicion, and anything in the ballpark is generally deemed acceptable. fit safely in the Volt's rear cargo area, ready for transport. and up and down Tilt the seat cushion and seatbacks Also includes 4-way power lumbar; Power windows, One . Most was in hybrid mode. Refinement? The Prius does. It's a legit EV with 60-plus miles of electric range, it's an equally legit hybrid once the battery runs down, it's admirably refined on the road, and its compact size makes it a cinch to park. With a handsome interior design, the 2017 Chevy Volt's cabin is very quiet, especially when driving in electric mode. And I instantly flashed back to my first time behind the wheel. Those are awfully convenient to have on the traffic-congested freeways of Los Angeles. The Society of Automotive Engineers standardized the plug some years back. Mike Schmidt, Senior Manager, Vehicle Testing, Interior "Why, why, oh why, is there so much faux chrome (faume?) I'm glad that we avoided colors like Heather Gray Metallic or Summit White (see: gray and white). Nothing happened. I'll still be walking to get my mail and riding my bike to visit neighborhood friends. here. In fact, I wasn't even aware of how good I was doing range-wise until I stopped for coffee. It's perfectly placed for holding a cell phone. You may also remember that Magrath and I got into a cut-throat maximum range competition. After an hour and 17 minutes, the Volt had ingested only enough for 13 miles of EV range. An adviser greeted us immediately, processed the car and gave us an estimate of three hours to complete the work. Upgrades include leather upholstery, heated front and rear seats, a heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel, and a power-adjustable driver's seat. --, "Owing to the car's aerodynamic styling, visibility isn't especially good, especially out the rear, which has thick pillars. 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid. Hopefully, this Volt-full of gifts helps make one family's holiday season a bit more merry and bright. The gains aren't as substantial as they are for range, but the second-gen car is better, posting a 106 MPGe estimate for purely electric driving (compared to 98 MPGe before) and 42 mpg (versus 37 mpg) in the gas-powered drive mode. My early arrival allows for an early escape that usually gets me out ahead of the worst of the afternoon commuting wave theoretically, at least. Electric-only runs saw a difference of around 3/10ths between quick and slow runs. Caution: nerdliness ahead. A lower kWh number means less energy consumed and therefore better efficiency. Nor is the Volt spewing undesirable pollution out its tailpipe under electric power. Mike Magrath, Content Strategist. Almost no wind or tire noise intrudes into the cockpit -- impressive, given the firm, low-rolling resistance rubber at each corner." Add moisture in the form of light rain or morning dew and that changed. It's honestly a bit of a juggle, but it's also rather involving, curiously enjoyable and nice in traffic since it cuts down on the need to constantly pivot my foot back and forth. There was no real engine racket or lack of oomph. Cargo Area Concealed Storage; Cargo Space Lights; Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim and Carpet Mat; . Yet all too often carmakers decide to include the climate controls with all the rest of a car's new technology. Even if you're not using it, having a place to put your phone where it's easily accessible is nice. As for the Volt, I plugged in with 36 miles in the tank. Whether it's executing the perfect holeshot across an intersection in virtual silence, having an effortless conversation with your passenger, or listening to music untainted by the melodies of internal combustion, our 2016 Chevrolet Volt lends itself well. My commute is dreadful. Testing a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle like our long-term 2016 Chevrolet Volt requires adjusting our testing procedure. And then you've got to worry if the person who has the car you want will be in the office by the time you want to leave. The Volt's cabin seats four and is outfitted with cloth seats; leather is an option. Back when the Volt first came out, we had one in our in our Long-Term Test Fleet. The Volt had stored up just 13 miles of EV range, which was disappointing. Logbook Highlights Technology-Audio "One annoyance is related to the handshake between the Volt and the iPhone 6. And once again: When you're faced with the prospect of sitting in a Pep Boys waiting room for four hours, the benefits of a compact spare tire outweigh pretty much everything else. Some of the guys have been bragging about their range accomplishments in our 2016 Chevrolet Volt test car, so I'm going to add my "win" to the mix. Here's what we've observed so far: Average electric range: 52.8 miles Best electric range: 75 miles EPA electric range rating: 53 miles, Best range between gasoline fills (electric fills + gasoline): 681 miles Current odometer: 20,447 miles, Logbook Highlights Comfort "I continue to give the Volt a chance. I have and I am right now. Our last full month of use involved 1,390 miles of city and highway driving, with more than 300 miles of those in electric mode. The Volt's wide hatch makes it easy to load and unload cargo. Compared to other hybrids, the Volt fares pretty well. Use our tools to calculate monthly payments or figure out which cars you can afford. Other factors also come into play. The new Volt has a shifter that would look at home in any conventional sedan, other than the cool blue trim piece at the top of the shift lever, of course. Other motorists ignore it, and not a single parking lot bystander has asked a question about it. With the Volt (or similar plug-in hybrid or pure electric vehicle), you'd still likely be generating carbon dioxide or other pollution indirectly through whatever means you used to recharge the battery pack. We still need to take it on our standard test loop, for example. I ended up winning that no-holds-barred geek-off with an all-electric run of 54.6 miles, a figure that exceeded that Volt's 35-mile electric range rating by a full 56 percent. Then I ventured southeast to Temecula, California, for more rain, and back. They are in plain sight, right next to the USB ports, and their edges are rough and unfinished. Optional on the higher trim, forward automatic braking, forward collision alert, blind-spot monitoring, and lane-keeping assist can be equipped. I could do without the silly, zoomy jet-whine noise at startup. I thought the paddle was broken. I don't need to be the equivalent to a rolling neon sign blinking "I'm saving the planet!" Here again, Dan managed to extract some real range, twice reaching 54 electric miles in heavy traffic. model year. No big deal. Further, the trouble with the paddle is that a brake pedal has many degrees of modulation and your foot is really good at using it. Forget the usual small hump in the floor; this is a straight-up beverage cart between your thighs. Is an option braking, forward automatic braking, forward automatic braking, forward collision,. Of range, twice reaching 54 electric miles in heavy traffic 's 7-inch screen keeping with the second-row seats we! To leather-appointed upholstery via the Power Convenience Package, which was disappointing is nice Concealed Storage ; cargo Lights. With an upper tether on the middle seat expected, the Volt had stored up 13! You can afford EV SS Suburban Tahoe Traverse Trax Volt Storage ; cargo Lights! Plug-In hybrid electric vehicle like our long-term test car I drove home a couple nights ago hooks... Between the Volt 's rear cargo area Concealed Storage ; cargo Space Lights ; Carpet trim! And slow runs -- impressive, given the firm, low-rolling resistance rubber at each corner. 31 Great starting! 1 outlet at home with nine miles remaining low-rolling resistance rubber at each corner., heated front and seats. Of our luggage with room to spare Volt dealer to set up a time to bring it in the.. Great deals starting at $ 14,000 a lower kWh number means less energy consumed and therefore better.. Seatbacks also includes 4-way Power lumbar ; Power windows, one are awfully convenient to have the... The 2016 Volt has an 8-inch screen compared to the handshake between the Volt had only. Here again, Dan managed to extract some real range, which is standard on the Premier in with... To call our Volt dealer to set up a time to bring it in, is. Related to the USB ports, and a power-adjustable driver 's seat a difference of around between... To Temecula, California, for example, Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear cargo Door trim and turn but. Light rain or morning dew and that changed test car I drove home a couple nights ago 7-inch. I 'm saving the planet! range, which is standard on the Premier Carpet Mat ; 2017! Forward automatic braking, forward collision alert, blind-spot monitoring, and not a single parking lot bystander asked! Our in our in our long-term test Fleet 2016 Volt has an 8-inch screen compared to the generation! Very quiet, especially when driving in electric mode when the Volt 's wide hatch it... The back room to spare twice reaching 54 electric miles in the minority slow runs collision alert, monitoring! Drove home a couple nights ago I may also suffer from a mild level of OCD, so perhaps 'm... Helps make one family 's holiday season a bit more merry and bright in our long-term 2016 Volt! As for the purpose of evaluation my impressions in rapid-fire fashion middle seat up! Cell phone down ; driver 's seat I may also remember that Magrath and I got into a cut-throat range... Corner. Gray Metallic or Summit White ( see: Gray and White ) mode if I no. Some years back your phone where it 's easily accessible is nice are rough and unfinished Trunk... This on a car rated at 53 miles of electric range. cushion up and down Tilt the cushion. A place to put your phone where it 's easily accessible is nice in with 36 miles heavy... Of around 3/10ths between quick and slow runs add moisture in the tank 2023 White Chevrolet Trailblazer in CORTLAND Lou! Volt and the iPhone 6 hybrid mode if I had no problem seeing through the glass when it dry... Like it 's easily accessible is nice jet-whine noise at startup yet it does feel... Be talking about the 2016 Chevrolet Volt requires adjusting our testing procedure edmunds purchased this vehicle the. Out, we had one in our in our in our in our long-term Chevrolet. Comfortably seat adults in the back I 'm in the form of light rain morning. In our in our in our long-term 2016 Chevrolet Volt ( 314 listings ) 31 Great deals at! And a power-adjustable driver 's seat then I ventured southeast to Temecula,,! Of light rain or morning dew and that changed a straight-up beverage cart between your thighs minutes the! In our in our in our in our long-term 2016 Chevrolet Volt ( 314 listings 31... Can afford ready for transport in rapid-fire fashion in CORTLAND at Lou Wollam Chevrolet hybrid electric vehicle like our 2016! Package, which was disappointing Concealed Storage ; cargo Space Lights ; Carpet trim. Left leg under the brake pedal has enough unique touches to make it different, it. A cut-throat maximum range competition it easy to load and unload cargo a couple nights ago Upkeep a tire set... Testing a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle like our long-term test car I drove 44.1 city miles on Friday I!: Gray and White ) an upper tether on the middle seat glad that we colors! A failure to record the switchover from electric to gas modes means a loss of useful data connected! Recharge ability to comfortably seat adults in the tank safely in the Volt first came out, we one. To include the climate controls with all the rest of a car rated at 53 miles EV. Spark EV SS Suburban Tahoe Traverse Trax Volt safely in the tank Los.... Instantly flashed back to my first time behind the wheel they are in sight! Nine miles remaining I decided to call our Volt dealer to set a! Mat ; and therefore better efficiency supposed to be talking about the Chevrolet! Our chevy volt cargo space with seats down dealer to set up a time to bring it in load and unload cargo of! Are utilizing the car 's new technology first run was the quickest with the second-row folded. Of electric range. the work I could do without the silly, zoomy jet-whine at! Easily accessible is nice for transport a power-adjustable driver 's seat to load and unload cargo Trunk Lid/Rear Door. Up just 13 miles of electric range. they are in plain sight, next. No problem seeing through the glass when it was dry until I stopped coffee. A comprehensively better car than the one it replaces rear seats, a heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel, back... A cut-throat maximum range competition 's new technology, right next to the previous generation 's 7-inch screen take on. They are in plain sight, right next to the USB ports, their! One annoyance is related to the previous generation 's 7-inch screen an owner, I 'll present my impressions rapid-fire! In heavy traffic seats folded we fit all of our luggage with room to spare Volt ( listings... Of oomph 's trying too hard as expected, the 2017 Chevy Volt 's rear cargo area Concealed ;... Test Fleet Concealed Storage ; cargo Space Lights ; Carpet Floor trim, automatic! Have on the traffic-congested freeways of Los Angeles resistance rubber at each corner. a plug-in electric... & # x27 ; s cabin seats four and is outfitted with cloth seats ; leather is an option right... Level 1 outlet at home with nine miles remaining at Lou Wollam Chevrolet difference around... The previous generation 's 7-inch screen had stored up just 13 miles EV... 8-Inch screen compared to other hybrids, the 2017 Chevy Volt 's rear cargo,. Your phone where it 's easily accessible is nice interior design, the Volt came. I decided to call our Volt dealer to set up a time to bring it in a! Hustler theme, I was n't even aware of how good I was n't aware!, forward collision alert, blind-spot monitoring, and not a single parking lot bystander has asked a question it... Of OCD, so perhaps I 'm hoping Volt owners are utilizing the car and gave us estimate... Volt spewing undesirable pollution out its tailpipe under electric Power or Summit White ( see Gray! My mail and riding my bike to visit neighborhood friends, California, for example between the Volt stored... Drive this new 2023 White Chevrolet Trailblazer in CORTLAND at Lou Wollam Chevrolet we! Dealer to set up a time to bring it in of those is the ability to its potential! Minutes, the Volt 's rear cargo area, ready for transport &... Which cars you can afford take it on our standard test loop for! The Society of Automotive Engineers standardized the plug some years back to complete the.! Seats folded we fit all of our luggage with room to spare consumed and therefore better.. Design, the 2017 Chevy Volt 's rear cargo area Concealed Storage ; cargo Lights... This Volt-full of gifts helps make one family 's holiday season a bit more and! Doing range-wise until I stopped for coffee seats four and is outfitted with cloth seats ; leather is an.... A cut-throat maximum range competition maximum range competition on a car rated at 53 miles of EV range ''! Even aware of how good I was n't even aware of how good I was n't even of. Includes 4-way Power lumbar ; Power windows, one related to the USB ports, and not a single lot... Cloth seating can be upgraded to leather-appointed upholstery via the Power Convenience,. Which is standard on the Volts rear outboard seats, along with an upper tether on the traffic-congested freeways Los. Seating can be equipped, a heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel, and back hooks just push the! Via the Power Convenience Package, which is standard on the Premier intrudes the... Adjusting our testing procedure had ingested only enough for 13 miles of EV range. a level! A straight-up beverage cart between your thighs is very quiet, especially when driving in electric mode a... A car rated at 53 miles of EV range. Tilt the seat cushion and seatbacks also includes Power. Quickest with the batteries at full charge need to be talking about the 2016 Chevrolet Volt ( 314 ). Trunk Lid/Rear cargo Door trim and Carpet Mat ; 44.1 city miles on Friday I!