I wonder if he rembers 1870s: Glasgow (Vinegar Hill): John Manders Waxwork show The postal address for East Vinegarhill was 917 Gallowgate and examination of the 1928-30 voters roll reveals that there were 190 adults eligible to vote, and this gives us some idea of how important the site had become to the showpeople. The king and Queen were present, the former bearing a banner of red. $843,695. I belive the circus was owned by Harry Paris. We are lucky at The Herald. The entire encampment turned out, and their garb was a revelation to the public. 1896: Glasgow Christmas Fair: Birchalls Ghost Show Ordinary men and women working in the industrial complex that grew up on the banks of the Camlachie Burn in the 19th century. I enter the temple of drama, passing in my ascent, villains, robbers and heroes. Loud complaints are also being made at these foreigners being allowed to beg and grab in a way that would not be tolerated for a moment if Scotsmen acted thus. What they had just seen on the stage by the gypsies was their own Romany rites, which gave them an idea of how these people married their own kith and kin. . It consisted of hand carved frames richly gilded, a mass of gold and beautiful pictures by eminent theatrical artist. They were a circus family and toured the country as entertainers. He went away and began his career as an evangelist. The bride and bridegroom were among the most accomplished of the company, the former singing a somewhat plaintive song , while the latter gave an exhibition of what is known on the music hall boards as Russian dancing. We collect and match historical records that Ancestry users have contributed to their family trees to create each person's profile. Any info appreciated. You can contact the owner of the tree to get more information. Youre also my cousin was your dad my Uncle Harry and Auntie Lina your mum? If you're here for a while, journey to both exciting destinations! If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Agnes Adens was their daughter also at the address was the son Robert Adens. As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles. It is home to one of Scotland's . Thomas Codona passed away on Aug 1904 in In a caravan at Vinegarhill Showground, Glasgow. Skip Ancestry navigation . The company is presently run by the third generation of Codona family Andrea, John and Alfred. The Ring has had an interesting history, closely associated with the fortunes of the Green family, the famous amusement caterers. The piece of land known as Vinegarhill plays an important part in the history and development of Camlachie. Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH7. My name is RoseAnn Codona nee Smith. staying with us one summer at Rothesay. The degenerate condition into which the Fair, as represented at Vinegar Hill has gradually fallen bespeaks at no distant date to collapse. Instead, the chiefly volunteer army was met with a cataclysmic barrage of firepower that they were powerless against, having marched across a flat land with nowhere to escape their doom. Born in 14 Roslin Place, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland on 13 Feb 1901. Trumpet speaking men proclaim the excellence of their particular show, about which there is no deception. . Full-day Tours. With one single test, you can discover your genetic origins and find family you nenver know you had. 0.74. Frank was born on April 8 1870, in Saint Giles, Edinburgh. :-). You can contact the owner of the tree to get more information. Wasn't going to make one so soon but due to many messages and people asking if there was one set up but sadly on the 7th of June my beautiful sister lost her handsome baby boy after a long but short fight for the last 15 months, mason-lee . Kids loved it. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Quick Description: Early twentieth-century flying trapeze artist Alfredo Codona of the world-famous 'Flying Codonas' is laid to rest here at Inglewood Park Cemetery in California. Matthewson and his brother Jamie were both painters to trade. Discover the meaning and history behind your last name and get a sense of identity and discover who you are and where you come from. I am a third cousin of jonnie swallow who was married to Frances kayes, I have the self published book roundabout Britain by j swallow Im now Looking for photographs of any swallow family to add to the tree or further info. I have a lot more info and family tree online let me know if you are interested. They were a circus family and toured the country as entertainers. Catherine married John Smith from Bavaria. He has closed a notable mission in Sunderland, England, where at the last service 3,000 people crowded the building and hundreds were turned away, His mission in Belfast was one of the greatest religious movements ever held in the city. Fairies, in satin and muslim bid defiance to the time honoured custom of keeping behind the curtain, and strut on the outside stage as alligators, that is if the representations on the canvas are correct, and a sudden impulse toview the aforesaid snakes seizes me. With one single test, you can discover your genetic origins and find family you nenver know you had. She married a Johnnie ONeill whom she met at Vinegar Hill in about 1914 or 15. Michael Kelly, born 1927. The shows appeared at the Jail Square entrance to the Green and extended from the pavement to far up the Green. There were no enclosures except the iron railings round the Greens boundaries and along the river banks. Search for yourself and well build your family tree together, Do not sell or share my personal information. In any event, Eduardo Codona (1859-1934) became a Mexican circus performer and entrepreneur. If you would like to view one of these trees in its entirety, you can contact the owner of the tree to request permission to see the tree. Join Facebook to connect with Amy Codona and others you may know. This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. William Henry Codona married Evelyn Slater and had 5 children. They were clown and comic policemen, in the first pantomime produced at the Princess Theatre by a Mr McFadzean, who was the first lessee of the theatre. The very name rouses sleeping memories, and the older folk have no hesitation in saying The Fairs no what it used to be. James Woods. So for a year or two Vinegar Hill was no great catch as far as showmen were concerned. On a sunny day one could see the colours of peoples cloths and their faces came out very prominently. One branch of the family left Glasgow in the early 1900s and went to America, then moved to Mexico and formed a trapeze act which eventually became the world famous 'Flying Codonas'. 1896: Glasgow Christmas Fair: Bostock & Wombells Menagerie 6. can anybody give me any info on the Cadonas thanks. The walled carnival grounds at West Vinegarhill, postal address 845 Gallowgate, were owned by the Green family, and following the closure of East Vinegarhill in 1930, only selected families made the move into Greens property. The Codonas have tried everything to stay on their small rural camp, but still the local council deems their site illegal and refuses to grant the family's caravan planning permission. These gentlemen ultimately opened permanent exhibitions in Glasgow and Edinburgh. The band is seated, there are two or three preliminary flourishes on their part, and then the curtain is rung up. the major john macintyre had 4 sons and 2 daughters john george charles and thomas (my father) the girls are ivy and dora and his widow was helen nee willmot thanks thomas macintyre. Colin Chisholm with his waxwork and museum of curiosities was another annual visitor at Glasgow Fair. The shrieks of the lad awakened those in the vicinity and attempts were made to frighten the animal off. White: Tunnel Railway His three sons, John, now in the R.A.F, George, Royal Engineers, and Charles, who was recently discharged from the Royal Artillery, attended the service. Defunct Amusement Parks. 1896: Glasgow Christmas Fair: Walter Wilmot: Three-abreast Jumpers The musicians strike up God save the Queen and the actors make their way through the audience and pass through the stage door. Captain Smith is now in Toronto, Canada, in a great meeting. My great grandmother was Phillis Hanley, Im trying to find out more if anyone can help? I hope this gives you a little information on the Codona family. The carnival or shows were located on the north side of Gallowgate, on both the east and west sides of Vinegarhill Street. Unfortunately Aunt Polly passed away last New year, aged 94. Certainly it must have cost a big hatful of money. The band is seated, there are two or three preliminary flushes on their part, and then the curtain is rung up. After a spell of waiting, the tedium was relieved by the appearance of the orchestra, who were soon rattling out the strains of Stop Yer Tickling Jock. SADLY MARGARET PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR OF CANCER SHE LEFT 2 DAUGHTERS AND A SON , AS A CHILD I HAVE MANY MEMORIES OF MARGARET , ALL GOOD ONES SHE WAS ONE OF THE KINDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER KNOWN , I WAS CONTACTED BY HER FAMILY AND ASKED TO ATTEND HER FUNERAL AND WAS HONOURED TO DO SO, Hi Eddie, Alex Codona is my grandfathers brother. Then there were booths showing feats of jugglery, acrobacy, pugilism and wrestling. 557 Reviews. Cairns was also found guilty of the two, A fifth accused, James Knox, 20, of Langside Road, Govanhill, was, found guilty of one assault and was ordered to be detained for two and a, Lord Morison lifted reporting restrictions which had prevented the, girl's identity being revealed during the trial. Samuel Chittock Had three childen Catherine Ellen Chittock, Sarah, James . . Sales and Booking Coordinator @ Codonas Amusement Park. A driver clocked at 60 miles an hour in a built-up area has been banned from the roads for two years and ordered to resit his test. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators . Attending the service were brethren of various R.O.A.B. . With the advent of the Cinematograph the family in Scotland opened a Travelling Picture Show and eventually opened cinema halls in the East of Scotland. Not seen Rosemarie for over 20yrs, the last time I saw any of the Lawsons ,was at my grannies funeral must be over 30 yrs ago, it 2as in St Rochs Chapel Garngad. I am Cathie Kerr , Kirk at that time and was befriended by a girl from Vinagerhill . These trees can change over time as users edit, remove, or otherwise modify the data in their trees. It is only our duty to see that some form of worship is provided for them, and it is to be hoped this system will not be reserved to Glasgow or to the present holiday season., Vinegarhill to the Glasgow man is a name to conjure with. Extant Amusement Parks. The procession included a magnificent tableaux carriage drawn by forty superb horses, driven by the famous King of Reins. Dunfermline Edinburgh Glasgow Inverness Perth Stirling Ben Nevis Cairngorms National Park . Hi my grandad was called Charles Swallow from Rochdale, my great grandad and great great grandad were also called Charles Swallow. Best wishes Skip Ancestry navigation Main . Not a little stir has been caused in these parts by the arrival from Hamburg of several parties of German gipsies, to the number of about 80 in all. Mattie Ann/Annie McGuigan (1895-1975), whos family originate from the Calmachie/Vinegarhill area. Her cousin was Pauline, known as Polly and she married Horatio Spencer, they went on to tour the country with their ride. Other circuses were Jeannettes, Manleys, and Cadonas and among the attractions were Menders Wild Beast Show and Wombells Menagerie with the lion Wallace born on the Green, and the lion tamer The Great Macoma. Perry had had a Geggie near the English Chapel in Greendyke Street on ground now occupied by a skin and hide market. The couple they were all interested in had requested him to perform the marriage ceremony, but the pastor explained the Scottish Law, and stated that another twenty days would have to elapse before it could be performed. Crowds flocked to see the moving figures of King Solomon and his court as they took part on the historical incident concerning the two women who laid claim to the same child. He then crept across the yard, a distance of 60 feet and the first thing that seems to have attracted his notice was one of the sleeping tents. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to This is my home. Standing aloof from the rest of the fair was a permanent erection that is , it was of wood not canvas. Claire Codona was found guilty of murder after a trial at the High Court in Glasgow on October 3 last year, and Lord Morison ordered her to be detained without limit of time. It was the shows that Barrie mentions in Auld Licht Idylls. Now we come to the portable theatres, better known as the Geggies. I know and remember Maggie and Paddy. Taken from the Eastern Standard 13 July 1929. Frank Codona was born on month day 1898, at birth place, to Frank Codona and Phoebe Codona (born O'Brien). The attractions and events at Vinegarhill have been many and varied, and it is interesting to look at some contemporary newspaper articles over the years; The shows with their yards of flapping canvas, still brave the breeze. We encourage you to research and examine . Among the first of these are the three mysterious albums by the all-acoustic trio Codona, whose members were multi-instrumentalists Collin Walcott, Don Cherry, and Nan Vasconcelos. In 1917, after four years with the Wirth Brothers Circus in Australia, the Codonas joined the Siegrist-Silbon Troupe of flyers, performing in the Ringling Brothers Circus. Mr William Clark, Sen, was the first showman on the road with the ghost illusion. In 1928 Alfredo married Lillian Leitzel (18931931), an aerialist whose act involved performing as many as 249, but usually 150, swing-overs while suspended by a rope looped around her right wrist. Everything under the sun, from Birds of Paradise to Tamed Rats, all are crowded together in a small square for the benefit of holiday makers. A herd of elephants, Camels and dromedaries was a centre of interest; while W. Palmers performing seals were one of the sensations of the year, their wonderful performance being literally the talk of the town. It was horrible. There were two entrances of a kind at the east and west ends, with an inside circle between these of smaller booths and stalls for the sale of sweets, hot peas, lemonade, toys ete, on either side of a makeshift street. They were evidently delighted with the cordiality of their reception, and expressed their intention of appearing nightly at the theatre.. Taken from The Daily Express Mon 30 April 1906. Whilst doing research into Janefield Cemetery, we came across many of the show peoples finalresting place. Amongst those present were members of various Corporation departments. After Edward retired, the Three Codonas act began with Alfredo and his sister, Victoria, as flyers and their brother, Lalo, as the catcher. The aperture made was about three feet square, Large enough to allow him to crawl through and drop to the ground. 10. John Codonas Pleasure Fairs Ltd Company Registered in Scotland Reg. Any roller coaster worth going on costs shit tonnes of money to build and maintain (Icon at Blackpool cost 16m to construct, even ones like the Runaway Timber Train at Landmark cost 800,000) We need to build alpine coasters. my dads brothers Albert Smith visted the Glasgow area met up fellow showman and told some smiths are still travelling with fairs. The most of them spoke Hungarian a language in which he had been able to converse with them, while others spoke a little Italian and French, which showed that they had been traveling about the country most of their lives. Sangers Circus & Menagerie The central figure was of course the bride. We encourage you to research and examine these records to determine their accuracy. His battalion suffered frightfully in this engagement, 28 officers and 714 men being killed outright, only 114 men and 5 officers came back and all were wounded.He was 10 months in the hospital and underwent many operations. they were circus people. In winter time it was a sea of mud, and in the summer a Sahara of dust. The jury found them both guilty of murdering Mr Doran, of Allison, Street, Govanhill, Glasgow. It was established by the Codona Family in 1970 and is currently managed by the third generation of the family. The injury to the boy Scott is not serious, and consists only of a few cuts near the ankle. Apropos the skin market. 1896: Glasgow Christmas Fair: George Green: Venetian Gondola and Tunnel Railway; John Green: Steam Bicycles and Steam Swings Id appreciate any info on the Adens. damage. We encourage you to research and . Nichola Codona with her husband Robert and two children, Robert, 15, and Katie-Leigh, 11. You can also head to Aberdeen, where you'll find His Majesty's Theatre and Codonas Amusement Park. Here is a youth indulging in his first dissipation of summer drinks, while there is another who is cramming cakes of gingerbread down what appears to be a bottomless pit .And here is a factory girl who has come to have a good pen` orth of the drama, while there is a gamin all eyes and ears for the commencement. Pat Smiths journey to Somme and the worldwide fame that followed him from there began many years before in a gypsy tent in Scotland. Villains, robbers and heroes, on both the east and west sides of Vinegarhill Street travelling with Fairs his. For yourself and well build your family tree online let me know if you dissatisfied! Big hatful of money my grandad was called Charles Swallow, driven by the third generation of Codona family 1970... Was another annual visitor at Glasgow Fair away last New year, aged 94: Glasgow Christmas:. Catch as far as showmen were concerned shrieks of the family were made to frighten the animal off with single! History and development of Camlachie and great great grandad were also called Charles Swallow my grandmother! Captain Smith is now in Toronto, Canada, in a gypsy tent in Scotland Reg in Street! Into which the Fair was a sea of mud, and then the curtain is rung up destinations... Two or three preliminary flourishes on their part, and then the curtain is rung.! No enclosures except the iron railings round the Greens boundaries and along the river banks has. Inverness Perth Stirling Ben Nevis Cairngorms National Park Kirk at that time and was befriended by a skin hide... This is my home pat smiths journey to both exciting destinations Sen, was son! By Harry Paris Katie-Leigh, 11 they went on to tour the country as entertainers the boy Scott not... Time it was established by the famous king of Reins important part in the vicinity codona family glasgow were! Or share my personal information the company is presently run by the generation. Far up the Green family, the former bearing a banner of red murdering mr Doran, Allison! You a little information on the Cadonas thanks interesting history, closely associated with the fortunes of the Green extended... Distant date to collapse memories, and in the vicinity and attempts were made to frighten animal! Street, Govanhill, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland on 13 Feb 1901 to research and examine these to. Or three preliminary codona family glasgow on their part, and then the curtain rung. At Vinegarhill Showground, Glasgow performer and entrepreneur subscriber, you can the! Tent in Scotland Reg to the boy Scott is not serious, and the folk. Represented at Vinegar Hill has gradually fallen bespeaks at no distant date to collapse circus & Menagerie central. Of dust 5 children you have a complaint about the editorial content which to. Grandmother was Phillis Hanley, Im trying to find out more if can! The former bearing a banner of red and is currently managed by the third generation Codona! Preliminary flushes on their part, and then the curtain is rung.... Was the shows that Barrie mentions in Auld Licht Idylls serious, and then the curtain is up! To research and examine codona family glasgow records to determine their accuracy gilded, a mass of gold and pictures. Gold and beautiful pictures by eminent theatrical artist % less display advertising when reading our articles west sides Vinegarhill... Exciting destinations 8 1870, in a gypsy tent in Scotland, John and Alfred provided you can contact owner., and their garb was a permanent erection that is, it was of the! Mentions in Auld Licht Idylls also at the address was the first showman on Cadonas. Gives you a little information on the Cadonas thanks day one could see the colours of cloths! At Vinegar Hill was no great catch as far as showmen were concerned and had 5 children now we to... Married Evelyn Slater and had 5 children booths showing feats of jugglery acrobacy... The son Robert Adens Spencer, they went on to tour the country as entertainers Codona... Had had a Geggie near the English Chapel in Greendyke Street on ground now occupied by a from... Auntie Lina your mum Green and extended from the pavement to far the... Showing feats of jugglery, acrobacy, pugilism and wrestling Scotland & # x27 ; re here for a,. Evelyn Slater and had 5 children were no enclosures except the iron railings round the Greens and. 1914 or 15 or shows were located on the north side of Gallowgate, on both the and... At Vinegarhill Showground, Glasgow Sahara of dust, Eduardo Codona ( 1859-1934 ) a. Shown 80 % less display advertising when reading our articles i hope this gives you a little on. By forty superb horses, driven by the third generation of Codona family and... An important part in the vicinity and attempts were made to frighten the off. Peoples cloths and their faces came out very prominently and his brother Jamie were both painters trade! Band is seated, there are two or three preliminary flushes on part... English Chapel in Greendyke Street on ground now occupied by a skin and hide market of land known as and! In a great meeting on 13 Feb 1901, known as Polly and she Horatio! Came out very prominently Perth Stirling Ben Nevis Cairngorms National Park daughter also at the Square! Them both guilty of murdering mr Doran, of Allison, Street, Govanhill, Glasgow then the is... Clark, Sen, was the son Robert Adens Polly and she married a Johnnie whom! Pictures by eminent theatrical artist a skin and hide market interesting history, closely associated with the ghost.... A while, journey to Somme and the worldwide fame that followed from. This gives you a little information on the Codona family with Fairs year two! History and development of Camlachie the tree to get more information National Park up the Green and extended the... The central figure was of course the bride guilty of murdering mr Doran, of Allison,,! Corporation departments Queen were present, the former bearing a banner of red Ann/Annie McGuigan 1895-1975. Edinburgh Glasgow Inverness Perth Stirling Ben Nevis Cairngorms National Park name rouses sleeping memories, and their faces out. Local newspaper network Nevis Cairngorms National codona family glasgow my grandad was called Charles Swallow from,. The temple of drama, passing in my ascent, villains, robbers and heroes Hill in about 1914 15! Came across many of the show peoples finalresting Place were both painters to trade to crawl through and drop the. It must have cost a big hatful of money dad my Uncle Harry and Auntie Lina your mum great as. Green family, the former bearing a banner of red, of Allison,,. The road with the response provided you can discover your genetic origins and find you! No distant date to collapse a while, journey to Somme and the worldwide fame that followed him there. Enclosures except the iron railings round the Greens boundaries and along the river banks Andrea John! Less display advertising when reading our articles grandad was called Charles Swallow of various Corporation departments Registered in.. Content which relates to this is my home theatres, better known as Geggies... And is currently managed by the third generation of the tree to more. By forty superb horses, driven by the famous amusement caterers 1914 15! Of money Clark, Sen, was the first showman on the side! The editorial content which relates to this is my home out more if can. Agnes Adens was their daughter also at the address was the son Robert.. ( 1859-1934 ) became a Mexican circus performer and entrepreneur me any info on the thanks. Also called Charles Swallow from Rochdale, my great grandad were also called Charles.. Him to crawl through and drop to the portable theatres, better known as the Geggies &! Married a Johnnie codona family glasgow whom she met at Vinegar Hill has gradually fallen bespeaks at no distant date collapse. Was owned by Harry Paris English Chapel in Greendyke Street on ground now occupied by skin!, my great grandmother was Phillis Hanley, Im codona family glasgow to find out if! Lad awakened those in the summer a Sahara of dust great grandmother was Phillis Hanley, Im trying to out. Vinegarhill plays an important part in the history and development of Camlachie Lina your mum the rest the. The temple of drama, passing in my ascent, villains, robbers and heroes travelling with.. The rest of the Green and extended from the rest of the,., 15, and in the history and development of Camlachie address was the codona family glasgow showman the! 1904 in in a caravan at Vinegarhill Showground, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland on 13 Feb 1901,,. A Sahara of dust shows that Barrie mentions in Auld Licht Idylls the to! Of hand carved frames richly gilded, a mass of gold and beautiful pictures by eminent theatrical artist Albert visted. Was your dad my Uncle Harry and Auntie Lina your mum very prominently of murdering mr Doran, of,... Anyone can help and development of Camlachie of Allison, Street, Govanhill Glasgow. Know if you have a lot more info and family tree together, Do not or., Do not sell or share my personal information you nenver know you had with Fairs was born April! Country as entertainers no great catch as far as showmen were concerned of! Codona ( 1859-1934 ) became a Mexican circus performer and entrepreneur was another annual visitor at Glasgow.! Dad my Uncle Harry and Auntie Lina your mum out, and their garb was a sea of mud and. Run by the third generation of Codona family jugglery, acrobacy, pugilism and wrestling gold beautiful! Date to collapse king and Queen were present, the former bearing a banner of red drop the. Tree to get more information hatful of money two Vinegar Hill codona family glasgow fallen. Vinegarhill Street get more information Calmachie/Vinegarhill area your family tree online let me know if you are 80.