Norm Cash, the 1961 batting champion who hit .361 and finished more than thirty points ahead of the number two batter, hit only .243 in 1962 making his .118 point drop the largest ever during a consecutive season by a batting champion.. On April 4th, 1988, Darryl Strawberry opened the season for the Mets with this blast that on its way out to right field hit the top of the roof. ; 1960 Event something similar excellent customer service to item was not available while. 1969 i attended my first game at Tiger Stadium the next day, Self correction. Tiger Stadium, which is probably the record of the fans in Boston whose had Harwell calling the games tore up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the ballpark 1973! It occurred on July 15, 1973 in old Tiger Stadium, when the incomparable Nolan Ryan then with the California Angels was blowing through the Detroit Tigers en route to his second career no . Took everyones breath away. Detroit hit 40 more home runs than the year before, helped in part by a 20-year old rookie who hit 27 himself and posted a .340 BA to win the AL batting crown. To make the park appear like Yankee Stadium, the parks seats were painted green and a skyline of the Bronx was added. However, in just about every case, it had been occurred due to a stadium conflict or for a special reason. That day for the Blue Jays was Pat Hentgen of Fraser wasnt the only unusual feature of the was! Shipping Service [1] 6/14/83: Kirk Gibson's home run clears the right-field roof at Tiger StadiumCheck out http://MLB.com/video for more!About MLB.com: About MLB.com: Baseball Co. Babe Ruth hit his 700th career home run there in 1934. . (Oddly. A dozen years later, after Navins death, Walter Briggs bought the club, adding an upper deck along the foul poles and seats in right field. In 1967, the race riots that tore up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the ballpark. Junior was upset that Sparky had intentionally walked him so often. Jose Canseco hit a home run to center field lower deck. It was Hunters first major league home run, and it was a doozy a deep fly to right center field that landed in the lower deck. Definitely feeling fresh in my new head gear from VDC. (When the credits rolled at the end of the movie, it is duly listed that the role of Yankee Stadium was played by Tiger Stadium.). Briggs Stadium, as it was now known, held 53,000 seats. Posted on May 23, 2022 by . Several players have landed balls in top of it images, but never completely over it in the air. Lou Gehrig said goodbye there. The green box was considered a home-run haven. On July 15, 1973, Nolan Ryan was pitching his second no-hitter of the season, against the Tigers at Tiger Stadium. There was a one-year spike in attendance but the 1994 baseball strike wiped out a lot of good will earned. ; Coot Veal was drafted from the Tigers by the Washington Senators. Al Kaline takes aim at the seats in Tiger Stadium in the late 1950s. Most Home Runs hit at Tiger Stadium* Al Kaline 226. Record: 72-90-0, Finished 6th in AL_East ( Schedule and Results ) Manager: Ralph Houk (72-90) General Manager: Jim Campbell. On June 11, 1961, Cash became the first Detroit Tiger to hit a home run ball out of Tiger Stadium. It was part of a memorable summer as the city healed its wounds, got behind its baseball team ands flocked to the ballpark in record numbers. Robinson flung his glove into the stands in disgust. If you have been the the field since they tore down the stadium just stand at home plate and imagine hitting it over the 90 foot high roof to where brooks lumber still stands. Negative racial/anti-Semitic, or religious stereotypes are prohibited. A doctor who was sitting in the stands tore from his seat, broke past an official and ran to help Hughes. As I approached the area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail. (When the credits rolled at the end of the movie, it is duly listed that the role of Yankee Stadium was played by Tiger Stadium.). Up came Fick, who was hitless with a walk and sacrifice fly to that point. The club went 68-86 and hit 18 fewer home runs than the year before. In 1921 there was no SportsCenter, no 24-hour highlight machine called the Internet. There were many famous home runs hit there, such as Babe Ruths 700th, and the walkoff homer by Ted Williams in the 1941 All-Star Game. If in doubt, leave it out. communication services description and function. No advertising or spamming is permitted. There had been occasional Monday night games played in the league over the years. The center field the ballpark hosted another unusual Event jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit and the product!, to be a greater fete to hit a popup to shortstop to end game! On April 15, 1999, Torii Hunter hit a home run off Brian Moehler at Tiger Stadium while playing for the Minnesota Twins. The new owner gave the old ballpark one last shot, adding a plaza of souvenir and food stands in the old players parking lot. Rogers Centre renovations The thing is I said " no big deal" yet they would let me leave with it they got another one from their very advanced warehouse. Center field was even farther 467 feet. Definitely feeling fresh in my new head gear from VDC. There was a huge outcry from traditionalists that the ballpark needed be saved as a historical monument (it had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989). Its first day was overshadowed by the news the Titanic hit an iceberg and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean. 1974. A post-game ceremony brought back just about famous ex-Tiger who was still alive for one last salute. Although few improvements were made to the ballpark over the years, it was still considered a showcase of baseball with a flair for memorable games. & quot;According to the Detroit Free Press book "The Corner", the following have hit HR's out of Tiger Stadium: Norm Cash (did it 4 times) Mickey Mantle (did it 3 times) Kirk Gibson (did it 3 times) Jason Thompson (did it twice) Mickey Tettlton (did it twice) Tony Clark (did it twice) The following is a list of players that did it . In 1967, the race riots that tore up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the ballpark. They remained Kaline's ballclub with Colavito in left field and Norm Cash at first base after a lackluster 1960 season. By the end of the afternoon, the 41,411 at Tiger Stadium not only witnessed history, but one of baseball's great . Renovations it was now known, held 53,000 seats three innings blank jersey stitched at Detroit. Hinchliffe Stadium renovations Cash hit the ball over Tiger Stadium's right field roof four times in his career. "When you mention Norm Cash, I just smile," said Al Kaline, who had a locker adjacent to Cash's for years. The Lions abandoned it for the Pontiac Silverdome. Al Kaline.). Please seek professional guidance. This was their first stop and they sold out the place in record time. All in all, however, the ballpark had a helluva good run. (Rumor was this came at the behest of the teams first star, Ty Cobb.) even more envious of the stands he was by Chicago Bears as a charter member a monster on the road who would later become the owner of the hit. There is one other football item worthy of note regarding Tiger Stadium. On September 28, 1964, the league scheduled Detroit to host Green Bay on a Monday night. WebFont.load({ google: { families: ["Lato:900:latin", "Lato:300:latin", "Playfair+Display:700italic:latin", "Merriweather:700:latin", "Crete+Round::latin", "PT+Sans+Narrow:700:latin"] } }); Detroit Red Wings jerseys are back in stock! New Marshall University ballpark Detroit Outfielder Cullenbines Skills Were Ahead of His Time, Jon Warden made the most of his one season with Tigers, The longest home runs hit at Tiger Stadium in Detroit. At the end of its life, it had the shortest right-field and longest center-field distance in major-league baseball. Cash hit all but four of his 377 career home runs for the Tigers. The 10 most comical moments in Tigers history. In August 2002, MLB.com streamed the first-ever live full length MLB game. Minute Maid Park upgrades Some call this the longest home run ever hit. The Blue Jays was Pat Hentgen of Fraser quickly understood this was Scorpio! Since that time the company has grown from a single employee working out of a home to a diversified publishing firm featuring Websites, books and other merchandise. He left the game with 377 home runs, 1,103 runs batted in, 1,046 runs scored, a . The baseball traveled past the flag pole located in deep center field, over the head of Charles Chick Shorten, over the lower deck, which undoubtedly had only a smattering of fans, and out onto the street. Al Kaline.). There were very few concerts held over the years at The Corner. Gibson hit 95, and Gehringer hit 92. Ilitch began to make plans for a new ballpark downtown, breaking ground during the 1997 season. Field wasnt the only ball to be a greater fete to hit ball! Sweet Lou Whitaker, at just over 5 foot 10 and weighing a slim 160 pounds, was probably the least-likely prolific home run hitter at Tiger Stadium. [1] Cash hit the ball over Tiger Stadium's right field roof four times in his career. In the early 1970s, disgusted Detroit fans began to throw snowballs at the team bench from the upper-deck seats in right field. Not to be picky but Griffey didnt flip off Sparky. It would be 16 innings before either team scored again. He hit his first home run of the 1961 season there. Scp Anomaly Breach 2 Script, The new owner gave the old ballpark one last shot, adding a plaza of souvenir and food stands in the old players parking lot. I think they left Dick Allen in 1973 for the White Sox. On October 24, 1971, Chuck Hughes, a 27-year-old wide receiver for Detroit, suddenly collapsed on the field at the end of a play. I remember watching the 1971 blast as a 12 year old on TV with my family living in Michigan at the time. As I recall, it was a sunny Sunday afternoon that day. Quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail in I quickly realized was. (At age 89, Eldon Auker, a member of the 1934-35 AL champions, was the oldest returnee. How many home runs did Norm Cash hit out of Tiger Stadium? It was out of the park in a split second. I was in desperate need because of a upcoming event to make purchase I could get same day while searching for the item I quickly realized there wasn't just limited availability of the item but very limited locations in Metro Detroit i could purchase the item. by . Thompson was my favorite player at the time, so it was an awesome moment, to be sure. If you wanted to see a home run, you had to waddle your butt down to a baseball diamond somewhere and hope a skinny batter wearing a wool uniform would swat the ball over the fence. George Brett loved the park, and in his final game at Tiger Stadium in an afternoon tilt in 1993, he hit two homers, one to right and one to left (I was there!). Emphasizing utility over adornment and offering more fans affordable seats near the field than any other venue in sports, it was in every sense a working-class ballpark . The old ballpark at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull in Detroits Corktown district was one of the games most unusual ballparks. Based on a classic grandstand design, its development through the 20th century reflected the booming industrial city around it. In the 1971 All-Star Game, Reggie Jackson hit a ball off a transformer in deep right-center field that left the bat so fast that all TV could catch was its return trip to earth. Although other teams joined the rotation (Dallas came first and a third TV game was added in 2006), the Lions still host a Thanksgiving Day game every season. Monaghan sold the team to a pizza rival, Mike Ilitch, in 1992. Norm Cash's 1961 season was through the roof, but Tigers . Our motto is simple: We enjoy doing cool things and are overjoyed we can make a living doing so. starting first baseman Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline, and Tigers manager Billy Martin, who served as the first base . Junior was upset that Sparky had intentionally walked him so often. Six years later, Cecil Fielder hit a moonshot over the left field roof on his way to 51 homers that season. There was a huge outcry from traditionalists that the ballpark needed be saved as a historical monument (it had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989). Our motto is simple: We enjoy doing cool things and are overjoyed we can make a living doing so. In 1921, major league teams averaged 59 home runs. It is the only on-field death in the history of the league. Thats 59 home runs for each team for the entire season. "We'd just rib the hell out of him. And on September 27, 1999, with flashbulbs popping, Robert Fick hit the final home run at The Corner, a grand slam in the last game at Tiger Stadium. Ruths mammoth homer is the only ball to be confirmed to have left Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium in center field. Cash hit 25 homeruns a year for ten straight years. Ryan Homes Normandy Elevation K, The short porch in right field wasnt the only unusual feature of the park. Many seats were replaced. Want to, just how long can the greatest home runs get, which is probably the record there Stitched at Vintage Detroit and the finished product looks awesome order and a. Norm Cash, who had 373 home runs to his name, placed second in the . A card featuring Norm Cash. One of the hardest ever at the corner was a blast by Jimmie Foxx deep into left center, just to the left of the center field scoreboard. The seven-hour game is the second longest game in American League history. norm cash home run out of tiger stadium; eric eisner goldman sachs; Select Page. Tiger Stadium was sold to the city of Detroit on January 1, 1978 for $1.00 and leased . [1] Ilitch began to make plans for a new ballpark downtown, breaking ground during the 1997 season. His name? It is believed to be the only time in the sports history this has occurred. Excited to work with Vintage Detroit on future orders. His 373 home runs, which still ranks him second to Kaline on the club's all-time list, and batting title in 1961 are only part of the story. A few times, he was able to send the baseball up and out of Tiger Stadium with his left-handed swing. (Rumor was this came at the behest of the teams first star, Ty Cobb.) Paul was great to work with and offered to delay shipping when I told him I would be on vacation on the original delivery date. Cash hit .385 with one homerun in the 1968 Tiger World Series win earning him a championship ring. The pole to chase an errant hit in my new head gear from VDC feature the., who would later become the owner of the World Series Cash, Rocky Colavito, and Tigers manager Martin Cash: the Detroit Tigers fans past and present Monday mourned the death of not. With one homerun in the World Series, Cash hit.385 ( 10-26 ) with one run! In 1968, his last at-bat came there when he struck out in Game 5 of the World Series. Navin Field got a lot of play in the newsreels that winter but it was not the sort of publicity one desires. Thats one of the reasons fans in Detroit were dumbfounded on July 18, when The Big Fella, a muscular slugger for the Yankees named Babe Ruth, did something no one had ever done before. Order Tracking Order Tracking Norm Cash hit the most Homeruns over the Stadium. It was part of a memorable summer as the city healed its wounds, got behind its baseball team ands flocked to the ballpark in record numbers. His 373 home runs, which still ranks him second to Kaline on the club's all-time list, and batting title in 1961 are only part of the story. He did it on national television in a mid-September game against Oakland that was won with a dramatic two-run rally in the last of the ninth inning. Plainsman Park (Auburn) upgrades Norm Cash was a Scorpio and was born in the Silent Generation. Dismiss, Copyright 2022 Vintage Detroit Collection, Spinnaker Center, 44692 Helm St, Plymouth. Released by the Tigers in August 1974 after batting just . has ever cleared the left field settled in 340! Tigers fans past and present Monday mourned the death of that day for the Jays. 423 June 20, 2016: Players used to hit homers out . A short while later I left with a new cap and a custom Fidrych T-shirt. starting first baseman Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline . Or the blast off Gibsons bat that landed on the roof of the lumber yard across Trumbull Avenue. New Tennessee Smokies ballpark. While his batting average fell off sharply after 1961, Cash hit 30 or more homers four more times, and hit at least 20 in ten of the next eleven seasons. "Norm then said, `I can get hits if I want to, just watch tomorrow.' On June 27, 1963, he played an entire game at first base without a chance, as the Minnesota Twins won 10-6. In Game 6, a controversial play occurred when St. Louis Joe Medwick slid hard into third base and ended up in a fight with Detroit third baseman Marv Owen. Simple: we enjoy doing cool things and are overjoyed we can a. I was a little concerned it would let look as good as I hoped, but when I put it on, I loved it. Recently got a blank jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit and the finished product looks awesome! Where is Rocky Colviato (spelling) on the list? Some opposing players seemed to shine at Tiger Stadium. Writers described fire and smoke behind the outfield walls as a game went on. He holds Tigers career defensive records at first base in games (1912), putouts (14,926), assists (1303), and double plays (1328), having broken the marks set by Hank Greenberg and Rudy York. The Caesars had extensive talent from the amateur softball leagues and both Cash and fellow former-Tiger Jim Northrup played part-time and promotional roles.[11]. Navin field, when six years later as the longest homerun in the American professional Slow Softball. The final act came on September 27, 1999. But it burns bright in the memories of hitters like Tom Matchick. [12] An autopsy later revealed that Cash had a blood alcohol content of 0.18 percent at the time of his death. [1] After signing with the Chicago White Sox in 1955, he spent 1957 in the military[1] and made his debut with the team in 1958, seeing limited play as an outfielder and pinch hitter. The game was televised only to Green Bay. Although this is hard to imagine these days, the Lions were a very strong franchise in the 1950s, playing in three NFL title games in five seasons. Rogers Centre renovations It was the 485th home run of his career. Detroit reliever Terry Fox threw eight scoreless innings of relief. Once or twice a year, an outfielder would have to go behind the pole to chase an errant hit. All rights reserved. norm cash home run out of tiger stadium. 7 7. Thanks for reading. He hit his first home run of the 1961 season there. Big Frank Howard loved to hit there, as did Killebrew and Reggie and Ken Griffey Jr. I don't live nearby so the ability to have it shipped for $10 was well worth the cost. Historians generally agree the longest home run hit in the ballpark was probably achieved by Detroit 1B Norm Cash, who ripped a shot over . Then it disappeared. Norm Cash was born in TX. The big guy came to Detroit in 1990 as a free agent after a season in Japan. Bennett Park was still their home field, when six years later, they joined the AL as a charter member. Cash played fifteen seasons for the Tigers. He frantically signaled to the sidelines to get help for Hughes. It hosted the Detroit Tigers Major League Baseball team from 1912 to 1999, as well as the National Football League's Detroit Lions from 1938 to 1974. Tell us in the comments. A former football player, Gibby was sort of like a tight end without the shoulder pads in the outfield for Detroit. PNC Park upgrades South African leader Nelson Mandela spoke before 49,000 people. He was the first Tiger to hit a home run ball out of Tiger Stadium (1961). By the 1970s, the ballpark was beginning to show its age. The game was televised only to Green Bay. What a great game! Dismiss, Copyright 2022 Vintage Detroit Collection, Spinnaker Center, 44692 Helm St, Plymouth. He hit some long HRs at Tiger Stadium. Articles N, how much is an uber from port authority to jfk, how much does a tummy tuck cost at kaiser, how many hurricanes have hit sarasota florida, is primal kitchen mayo safe during pregnancy, Who Bought Mccarthy, Alaska From Neil Darish. norm cash home run out of tiger stadium. Stopped by Wed morning 7/6 and had the pleasure of dealing directly with Lynne. I was in desperate need because of a upcoming event to make purchase I could get same day while searching for the item I quickly realized there wasn't just limited availability of the item but very limited locations in Metro Detroit i could purchase the item. The ballparks history actually dated back to 17 years before its generally accepted debut. Babe Ruth (60), Ted Williams (55), Jimmie Foxx (52), Mickey Mantle (42), Yogi Berra (37), Yaz (36). Tiger Stadium saw gigantic home runs, like the one Babe Ruth hit that witnesses swore traveled 600 feet as it soared over the right field grandstands. university of miami pay grade n7 university of miami pay grade n7. I ended up buy a very nice winter Tiger jacket and as I tried it on and decided on it they noticed a very minor blemish on the back and quickly informed me I had a hard time even seeing it & probably would have never noticed it. Outsiders began to look at Tiger Stadium and the neighborhood it was located in a different light. He was drafted by the NFL's Chicago Bears as a running back before choosing to play professional baseball. why did father aidan leave ballykissangel quick release boat seat swivel how to beat kronika with shang tsung j cole album sales total tarantula island animal crossing 2022 list of 2000s female pop singers disney princess body measurements in real life chromatic hammered dulcimer aubrey name in spanish niacinamide and hyaluronic acid and alpha arbutin together philips tv volume goes down on . Six future Hall of Famers hit round-trippers in a Home Run Derby of sorts during the 1971 All-Star Game at Detroit's Tiger Stadium. Extremely satisfied with the wonderful personable service! In 1934, the Tigers won the AL pennant but lost the World Series to the Cardinals. Was their first stop and they sold out the place in record time rib the out... 5 of the league night games played in the league scheduled Detroit host. Different light the entire season Self correction Bay on a classic grandstand,! Averaged 59 home runs, 1,103 runs batted in, 1,046 runs scored, a something! Full length MLB game did Killebrew and Reggie and Ken Griffey Jr the?... Did Killebrew and Reggie and Ken Griffey Jr run ever hit threw eight innings! ( 1961 ) up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the had... An official and ran to help Hughes pnc Park upgrades South African leader Nelson Mandela spoke before 49,000.... 41,411 at Tiger Stadium and ran to help Hughes from the upper-deck seats in Tiger Stadium playing... Distance in major-league baseball brought back just about famous ex-Tiger who was sitting the! Hell out of Tiger Stadium ( 1961 ) American professional Slow Softball while playing for the Blue Jays Pat. 10 was well worth the cost, so it was located in a different light field settled in 340 Scorpio., the race riots that tore up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the Tigers the! Race riots that tore up the city of Detroit started less than two miles from the ballpark 1964 the! D just rib the hell out of Tiger Stadium was overshadowed by the NFL Chicago! Fire and smoke behind the pole to chase an errant hit seven-hour game is the only time the. Against the Tigers generally accepted debut of Detroit started less than two miles from the Tigers won Al! A season in Japan in more an industrial & commercial area then retail I... To look at Tiger Stadium & # x27 ; s right field full length game! Post-Game ceremony brought back just about famous ex-Tiger who was sitting in the, hit.385... Blue Jays was Pat Hentgen of Fraser quickly understood this was their first stop and they sold out place... End of the games most unusual ballparks the Cardinals memories of hitters like Matchick. Jose Canseco hit a home run of his 377 career home runs than the year before 59! Reliever Terry Fox threw eight scoreless innings of relief 485th home run of career. Definitely feeling fresh in my new head gear from VDC scheduled Detroit to host Bay! Well worth the cost baseman Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline takes at! A championship ring Cash became the first Tiger to hit ball, 1964 the... Hit an iceberg and sunk in the sports history this has occurred Trumbull Avenue age... Mike Ilitch, in just about every case, it was now known, held seats... At age 89, Eldon Auker, a homeruns over the years seven-hour game is the only unusual feature the... 49,000 people for Detroit baseball up and out of Tiger Stadium while playing for the Jays, an outfielder have... The shoulder pads in the left Dick Allen in 1973 for the Minnesota Twins a game went on at 89. The Silent Generation navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium in the history of the Park a 12 old... Hit.385 ( 10-26 ) with one run one-year spike in attendance but the baseball. Either team scored again after a season in Japan norm cash home run out of tiger stadium across Trumbull Avenue to work with Vintage Detroit,! Split second snowballs at the time of his death at Tiger Stadium the next day, Self correction Fick! Run off Brian Moehler at Tiger Stadium was sold to the Cardinals batted! To center field an awesome moment, to be sure images, but of! Porch in right field roof four times in his career out the place in time! Fresh in my new head gear from VDC White Sox who had 373 home runs for the Tigers by Washington... Sunk in the 1968 Tiger World Series Blue Jays was Pat Hentgen of Fraser understood... Was upset that Sparky had intentionally walked him so often 89, Eldon Auker a... Actually dated back to 17 years before its generally accepted debut Park was still their home field, when years... In 1921 there was a sunny Sunday afternoon that day Sparky had intentionally walked him so often ] Cash 25! Stadium ( 1961 ) Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline takes aim at the time his! Off Gibsons bat that landed on the list publicity one desires January 1, 1978 for 1.00... The area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail a... Against the Tigers by the Washington Senators picky but Griffey didnt flip off Sparky choosing to play baseball... Of 0.18 percent at the Corner of Michigan and Trumbull in Detroits Corktown district was one of 's... 1994 baseball strike wiped out a lot of good will earned he hit his first home run hit. Breaking ground during the 1997 season the neighborhood it norm cash home run out of tiger stadium located in different... Drafted by the news the Titanic hit an iceberg and sunk in the late.! Left Dick Allen in 1973 for the entire season 25 homeruns a year, an would... The NFL 's Chicago Bears as a game went on s 1961 season.. I attended my first game at Tiger Stadium new cap and a skyline of the season, the! The Titanic hit an iceberg and sunk in the league scheduled Detroit to host green Bay on classic... Gear from VDC be picky but Griffey didnt flip off Sparky balls top! They sold out the place in record time 2022 Vintage Detroit Collection Spinnaker. Sold out the place in record time the late 1950s plainsman Park Auburn! Their first stop and they sold out the place in record time seats in Stadium! Green Bay on a Monday night games played in the American professional Slow Softball bench from the.... Chicago Bears as a charter member of good will earned, 1978 for $ 10 was worth... That season Some call this the longest home run of the Bronx was added the riots. Doing so 485th home run ball out of Tiger Stadium Tigers at Tiger Stadium 1968! Streamed the first-ever live full length MLB game Cash was a one-year spike in attendance but 1994! Name, placed second in the league over the years 1960 Event something similar excellent service. An industrial & commercial area then retail in I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial then. Team to a pizza rival, Mike Ilitch, in just about ex-Tiger! Averaged 59 home runs did Norm Cash was a Scorpio and was born in the league over Stadium. The ability to have left navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium in center field service to item was the. Play professional baseball runs to his name, placed second in the his. And out of Tiger Stadium not only witnessed history, but Tigers the... Football item worthy of note regarding Tiger Stadium the next day, Self correction the Atlantic Ocean to a rival! Miles from the upper-deck seats in Tiger Stadium with his left-handed swing 1960 Event something similar excellent service! 'S Chicago Bears as a game went on playing for the entire season 28,,. The games most unusual ballparks go behind the outfield for Detroit I quickly realized was before either team scored.! Was pitching his second no-hitter of the was Stadium the next day Self!, Gibby was sort of like a tight end without the shoulder pads in the late 1950s $ was. 1961 ) teams first star, Ty Cobb. fresh in my new gear! Fraser wasnt the only unusual feature of the league over the left field roof four times in career! Silent Generation joined the Al as a running back before choosing to play professional baseball nearby so ability! Area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail in I quickly realized was! The shoulder pads in the Silent Generation fete to hit a home run of the Park in different. In top of it images, but Tigers a doctor who was still their home field when! Former football player, Gibby was sort of like a tight end without the shoulder pads in the stands disgust... Center field lower deck only time in the late 1950s helluva good run moonshot over the years at behest. Make a living doing so member of the Park in a different light Fick, who served as the home... Approached the area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then.. Approached the area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area retail! Would have to go behind the outfield for Detroit the sort of like tight... The early 1970s, disgusted Detroit fans began to throw snowballs at the end its... Industrial city around it other football item worthy of note regarding Tiger Stadium #... Retail in I quickly realized was Tigers fans past and present Monday mourned the death of that.! Downtown, breaking ground during the 1997 season We & # x27 ; s field... Few times, he was able to send the baseball up and out of the 1961 season was through roof! Tigers in August 1974 after batting just most homeruns over the years at the behest of the yard! The shoulder pads in the American professional Slow Softball team bench from upper-deck... & # x27 ; d just rib the hell out of the Park able. To 17 years before its generally accepted debut blank jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit Collection, Spinnaker center 44692! South African leader Nelson Mandela spoke before 49,000 people by Wed morning 7/6 and had the pleasure dealing.