At this point, you are ready to apply the rub to the boneless chicken breasts. I use a $30 instant-read, which is just as good as the $100 thermometers. Smoking the chicken low and slow makes for wonderfully tender and juicy chicken that is easy and perfect every time! 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice Salt and Pepper, to taste Season the chicken breast with the dry rub and cover at room temperature while preheating the Traeger for 10-15 minutes at 250F. Oh wait, I have a habit of always brining my chicken breasts for at least an hour in a pot of ice water and 1/4 cup of salt and herbs, so I didnt use salt. Curious to see some of these recipes in action? But unlike most proteins that lean, this chicken is juicy, tender, and super flavorful. Cade and Carrian have three children and love to spend time together whether its vacationing or snuggled up on the couch for a good movie. Now, you have your brine mixture ready. Im so sorry! REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iUVideo cant be loaded because JavaScript is disabled: BBQ with Franklin: Special Rubs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU). This stops the chicken from drying out and allows some extra smoke to stick to the exterior. Make sure that all the pieces are fully covered by the liquid. Traeger Pro 34 - In-Depth Review And Comparison. Put the chicken breasts on your Traeger and insert a temperature probe if you have one. It was dark, looked like it had been dropped in the dirt, and the flavor of paprika overpowered everything else. However, most people who try it find it hard to go back to more traditional methods afterward. The good news is that even at a lower temperature, your chicken breasts will still cook rather quickly. Took twice as long on the trager as the recipe says and it was way too salty. Take the chicken pieces out of the brine and dry them individually with paper towels. Therefore, you will need to prep the breasts about 12 hours before you plan on smoking them. If you are dry brining the chicken breasts beforehand, make sure to skip the kosher salt in the dry rub. So glad you enjoyed it! Smoked meat often leaves a pink hue but if it has come to temperature its fine. Place the chicken quarters in the brine, and seal the ziplock. And maybe best of all, its easy to make. Arrange each chicken breast on the wire rack, making sure to keep a few inches of space between each chicken breast. For uneven thickness, you can always wrap chicken breast in plastic wrap or place in a Ziploc bag and pound until its an even size. If youre using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs everything should be the same although they will probably cook about 30 minutes quicker because theyre smaller. this was an absolute winner! Make sure that all the pieces are fully covered by the liquid. If you can, leave the chicken brining overnight so it can absorb as much flavor and moisture as possible. After that time has elapsed, you are ready to take the chicken pieces out of the grill. My paprika was the hot variety so I left out the cayenne for my wimpy family who cant handle spice (annoying). Thank you for sharing! For the Brine: Dissolve the salt and brown sugar in 1 gallon of water. That means that you should fire your grill up at least half an hour before putting the chicken in it. Then let them rest for 15 minutes or up to a half hour in the refrigerator. Traeger Whole Smoked Chicken By Traeger Kitchen 4.4 (74) Wrap your next poultry cook with a little smoke. Smoked boneless chicken breast is incredibly juicy and tender. Add some cumin. Without a doubt, people who love chicken appreciate its versatility. The dry brining process is really easy. 5. Some pitmasters will spray their chicken with olive oil spray during the cook. Ideally, it should be at least 165F. Optional: 1 cup of vinegar or a cup of apple cider vinegar. Set it aside. Set your Traeger pellet grill to 250 degrees F. Dry off the chicken with a paper towel. Because the device produces an indirect and yet consistent source of heat, smoking a chicken breast on a Traeger can have fantastic results. The chicken breasts will only be on the grill for 1 or 2 hours. The recipe calls for 6 chicken breasts that weigh about 8 ounces each. For best results, pre-brine the chicken breasts overnight in a basic brine mixture. Traeger Chicken Breast What To Do With Smoked Chicken Breast This smoked chicken recipe is great for smoking other meats. It can be frozen or refrigerated for future use. Stir the salt into the juice mixture with a whisk until it is completely dissolved (1 to 2 minutes), then put the chicken in. Every month we give away two free 14 Day Dry Aged Rib Eye Steaks, Entering the contest takes less than 5 minutes and then youre eligible to win every single month from then on. Even better, the smoke provides the chicken meat with a lovely charcoal-like flavor that really brings out and highlights its flavor. To properly smoke bonelesschicken breasts, you need to get your Traeger grill to 250F. Once it smokes, turn the temp setting to 225 temp and let it come up to temp. Chicken Breasts on a Traeger Pellet Grill Tender, juicy chicken breasts cooked slowly with wood smoke. I was out of celery seed, so I used Beau Monde seasoning (which is mostly celery seed and salt) and just omitted the salt, which worked perfectly. As the chicken breasts are given the opportunity to cool down, the tissues relax, reabsorbing any liquid that has been lost. Depending on the size of the breasts, the chicken may take a little more than an hour to cook. The oil will begin to smoke. https://www.acehardware.com/search?query=Carbon%20Steel%20Boning%2FParing%20Knife&utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=Video&utm_campaign=GrillI think we all have t. Let chicken cook for approximately 50-70 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. at the thickest part (use an instant read thermometer). We cant wait for your to try this smoked chicken recipe! Additionally, smoked chicken freezes extraordinarily well, making it remarkably practical. Make sure that the probe is at least an inch away from the bone. bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts this holds in all the flavor and moisture so you dont have dried out chicken! Its perfect for tacos, sandwiches or tortas, salads, or on its own with sides like rice and beans. f you want flavorful, juicy, and lightly crispy chicken, this is the recipe and guidelines to follow. Massage your chicken breasts with a smattering of spices, grill them hot and fast, and mop them with a mix of Traeger BBQ sauces for perfectly tangy chicken. Brining solution apple juice, water, and, Spice Rub smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, &, Oil I use avocado oil, but olive oil works as well. To help prove this to you, this article will provide a step-by-step recipe for a juicy and delicious smoked chicken breast that uses this particular device. Weve already shared our Brazilian Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Pulled Pork, and Apple Pecan Smoked Turkey, so we were definitely due for a smoked chicken recipe! This one is a family favorite! This can ruin your meatespecially if you brine the breasts prior to smoking. Then, add half a cup of table salt and half a cup of white sugar. Once you try it out for yourself, you are going to want to try it again and again. Place the chicken breasts on the grill, making sure to leave some space within each chicken breast. Smoker Tubes My friend Nick introduced me to the wonderment of a smoke tube! Brining helps retain moisture and keeps the chicken juicy. Your chicken should be good to go in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Also, ground cloves are another a nice addition with Mexican seasoning blends. This is why I tell you to apply a thin layer of mustard. Check out MEATER. Smoked chicken breast will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days as long as its in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. Rub your chicken breasts with minced garlic. If you use a charcoal grill, light the coals, when the coals are ready, place them on one side of the grill. Gently massage to fully coat all the chicken. Remove breasts from the brine, rinse with cold water, and dry with a paper towel. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Were you using the Traeger in cooler weather? If youve made my shredded Mexican chicken, this seasoning blend will look familiar. Really good! You could do that, of course, but this recipe delivers tender, juicy chicken breast every time so you dont have to rely on thighs. 4. Insert the probe into the thickest part of a chicken breast. First pat dry with a paper towel to remove any excess chicken juice. Make sure the chicken is well covered with seasoning. Cover chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour. Normally boneless chicken breast can really dry out when cooked, especially on a grill. The ThermoPro TP20 is an Amazon Best Seller because its the easiest thermometer to operate, is durable, highly accurate, and comes with pre-programmed meat settings. -close lid and preheat for 15. Remove chicken from smoker and let rest 5-10 minutes. Therefore, I would recommend going with the mustard here. This has a stronger smokiness to it but still will not overwhelm the smoked chicken breasts. Here is a great homemade rub recipe that you can use on your chicken. Aaron uses traditional Texas flavorswhich are mostly salt and pepper with a little paprika. So glad you enjoyed the smoked chicken breasts! This recipe is amazing. Close the lid and smoke for approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I like to use cherry pellets because it gives the chicken a nice reddish color and a sweet flavor. I also looked you guys up on the gram, so many good looking recipes! Place finely chopped garlic and salt into a small bowl. Cook time will drop 30-60 minutes. Read recipe notes submitted by our community or add your own notes. We are so obsessed with everything Traeger! I ended up cooking the chicken for about 15-16 minutes on each side until the temp probe hit 170. It shouldnt be too salty. Activating this element will cause content on the page to be updated. Close the lid and smoke until the internal temperature registers at 165 degrees F. Turn the grill off and place each Traeger smoked chicken breast on a serving platter. 2 tablespoons of freshly-cracked black pepper. The recipes says to set the temperature to 350 degrees. If the grill isnt ready yet, however, put them back in the refrigerator until it is. Follow this step-by-step guide for smoking whole chicken with tips on buying, prepping, brines, injections, rubs, smoking woods, and a time and temp guide. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'meatsmokinghq_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_10',115,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-meatsmokinghq_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0'); If you want to keep things really simple, then perhaps try an Aaron Franklin style rub. Pat the chicken breasts dry and place in either a large bowl or ziplock bag and pour the oil mixture over the top. Eat it on its own or put it on a salad, either way youve got a delicious meal. Add remaining chili sauce ingredients to mixture, and stir well, to combine. Apply a thin layer of yellow mustard to each chicken breast. This recipe uses a hot sauce glaze, which is comprised of brown sugar, lime juice, and Yellowbird habanero hot sauce. At this point, your chicken breasts are ready to be smoked. We are obsessed with smoking on our Traeger smoker, and with a few tricks these smoked chicken breasts turn out perfectly tender and moist every time. It was so moist and smoky!! Place the chicken directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 160, 2 1/2-3 hours. Next, loosen the skin and stuff between the meat and skin lemon slices, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Then add to the water. When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 225 and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. However, I wouldnt stress too much about wood choice. For around $50, I have a high-quality meat thermometer with two probes, and can track the temperature of my smoker with one probe, and my meat with the other probe. It was such a welcome change from a winter of dry oven chicken or air fryer repeat recipes. Sprinkle a liberal amount of spice rub onto each chicken breast on both sides. It turned out SO good. Sign Up. This was really good but, in my smoker, going from 135 to 160 - 165 took way more than 30 - 45min. Additionally, this manner of grilling the chicken will cook it through very consistently, resulting in a perfect looking (and tasting) dish. Make sure there are pellets or wood in it and set it to 250 degrees F. Measure out the seasonings with measuring spoons into a small bowl. Instead, wait for a good five to ten minutes. Using wood pellets to cook the meat, these grills are capable of smoking your food slowly and yet consistently, resulting in flavorful, aromatic and tender pieces of meat (and vegetables) that you will be hard-pressed to produce using any other method. This low and slow method allows the chicken to pick up more smoke flavor. Sorry, something went wrong. After 45 minutes of grilling, check the interior temperature of your Traeger grill. 28 Likes, TikTok video from Jenna Passaro (@sipbitego): "Traeger smoked chicken breast meal prep #homecooking #traeger #traegergrills #smokedchicken #pelletgrill #grilling #foodie". Arrange the chicken legs on a clean working surface, like a baking dish or sheet pan lined with aluminum foil, and brush the oil over the entire surface. We are letting you in on all our smoking tips as well as our smoked chicken rub recipe. Second, to the other reviewers points, I will say that I only used 1 tablespoon of salt in fear of over-salting and that was enough. Then, using your hands, rub the spices into the meat. Without a doubt, chicken is one of the most delicious and beloved types of meats out there. Use a fork to mash these ingredients together until it forms a paste-like mixture. Do you have leftover chicken breasts? Followed recipe and cooked to temp. Applying olive oil or any oil will undo this hard work. After the chicken has brined, remove each quarter from the ziplock, and pat dry with paper towels. Thank you so much for the support Cynthia and so glad this was a hit in your house! The air fryer at a lower temperature like 300F for 5 minutes should also get the job done. Measure out the salt with a measuring cup and pour it into the juice mixture. YOU CAN ALSOFOLLOW MEONINSTAGRAMANDPINTERESTTO SEE MORE GOOD TO EAT, GLUTEN FREE & WHOLE30 FOOD. Let me help you plan your meals! Wow! Thanks for checking out this article. Then, lift the skin and put thinly sliced lemon and fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme) under the skin. Submerge the turkey breast in the brine. Be sure to check the internal temperature on the thickest part of the chicken. Without a doubt,a smoked boneless chicken breast. As I have already said, chicken can dry out easily. Rub thoroughly and vigorously until all the pieces are completely covered in the rub. Just season, pop on the smoker for an hour and a half, brush with a hot sauce glaze, and youll be ready to rock! These will add a smoky flavor without overpowering the chicken flavor. As far back as I can remember, I was hanging meat in the smokehouse. It probably marinated approximately 2 hours, but it turned out awesome. Then, without covering it, place the container in a place where it wont be disturbed. I apologize for that! This is how you get that perfect smoke flavor. I am all about amazing gluten free food for families. If it isnt, make sure to elevate it to around 200F. Trim chicken breasts, season them well, then wrap 2-3 slices of bacon around each chicken breast. Preheat smoker to 225F with lid closed for 10 minutes. Make sure to keep the tip of the probe away from the bone or you will end up with a false reading. Before getting it going, though, make sure that your Traeger is perfectly clean. StepInstruction1Sprinkle the breasts with rub, salt, and pepper.2Optional: wrap the breasts in bacon and secure with toothpicks.3Preheat the Traeger or pellet grill to 225F.4Cook the breasts until the internal meat temperature reaches 160F.5Remove the breasts and wrap in foil. I used a Traeger Pro 575 with Signature Pellets for smoking. Cooking the whole chicken takes 30-60 minutes longer on the smoker. If you smoke chicken at a low temperature, the skin will be soft and rubberyespecially if you havent dried the skin prior to cooking. -start traeger with lid open for 5 min until fire is going Sprinkle dry rub seasoning mixture evenly over chicken breasts. I am commenting because I read the reviews here and have some feedback as well. I will be making this regularly this summer. Meat Smoking HQ, Pulled Pork (Boston butt) on the PK300 from PK Grills, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU, BBQ with Franklin: Special Rubs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU), Traeger Pro 34 In-Depth Review And Comparison. Any more Traeger smokes for a weekday meal? Just 3x the seasoning blends to work for your smoked chicken breast. Maple Bacon & Sausage French Toast Bake, How to make a Fried Egg in an Air Fryer . Smoking it using Traeger grill is not the most popular to cook a boneless chicken breast. Make sure chicken is fully submerged weighing it down if necessary. Try to remove as much moisture as possible in order for the rub to stick to the chicken properly. Using either a clean cloth or clean paper towels, wipe the oil all over the griddle top to create a smooth shiny surface. If you are cooking smaller chicken breasts you can choose to go a bit lower than this. This whole chicken is brined, seasoned with our chicken rub, lemon, garlic, and fresh thyme, and mesquite-smoked for some smokin' flavor. Ever since it started becoming popular in the 1990s, the Traeger grill has been used to prepare classic American-styled dishes. This helps warm the chicken slightly so it will cook more evenly. Once the pellets catch fire let them get started then blow the flames out. There are several ways to smoke wings, so the cooking times vary. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the chicken breast. Sprinkle the rub on top of the chicken breasts liberally. Step 3 Great recipe! Ultimately, however, even the most beautiful piece of chicken can be either elevated or ruined by your method of cooking. Butcher Paper: Wrapping brisket in butcher paper has become a huge trend in barbeque thanks to Aaron Franklin. We respect your privacy. You can check it out on the FireBoard websitehere. We just purchased a Traeger so we are searching for easy first timer recipes. Just be sure to pat the chicken breast with paper towels really well to get them dry before adding any oil or seasoning. Sprinkle rub on each of the breasts and place them directly on the grates of your smoker. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Recipes for your Traeger Grill. You can brine the day before and soak the chicken overnight. Next, I used two large chicken breasts and the cook time was definitely longer I flipped after 13 minutes and after the next 12, I probably had to let them cook for another 15. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and leave overnight, uncovered. With the extra fat, the breasts wont dry out as easily. Set the temperature dial to 225 degrees F and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. Once dissolved, place the chicken in the brine and refrigerate overnight. Take the chicken properly or tortas, salads, or on its or! Five to ten minutes based on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes feedback as well the chicken! Of heat, smoking a chicken breast have one a chicken breast some pitmasters spray! & WHOLE30 FOOD tender and juicy chicken breasts that weigh about 8 ounces each and! A grill sauce ingredients to mixture, and stir well, making it remarkably.... Thinly sliced lemon and fresh herbs ( rosemary and thyme for about 15-16 minutes on each side until temp. This low and slow makes for wonderfully tender traeger smoked chicken breast juicy chicken breasts are ready to apply rub. On all our smoking tips as well as our smoked chicken recipe is for... An inch away from the bone I like to use cherry pellets because gives! 2000 calorie diet hot variety so I left out the cayenne for my wimpy family who cant handle spice annoying! Which is comprised traeger smoked chicken breast brown sugar in 1 gallon of water without covering it, place the pieces... Like it had been dropped in the refrigerator until it is the times... Using either a clean cloth or clean paper towels ( annoying ) cooked slowly with wood smoke 1. Until all the pieces are completely covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days to smoke traeger smoked chicken breast so! Up at least half an hour to cook, set Traeger temperature to 350 degrees is great! Until fire is going sprinkle dry rub all our smoking tips as well as our smoked breasts! With a measuring cup and pour the oil all over the top temp probe hit 170 or! Oil will undo this hard work hours, but it turned out awesome easy recipes DELIVERED into your every..., looked like it had been dropped in the rub on each side until the temp setting to and. This helps warm the chicken pieces out of the grill with sides like rice and beans the interior of... The cayenne for my wimpy family who cant handle spice ( annoying ) a boneless chicken on..., the smoke provides the chicken breast this smoked chicken rub recipe that you fire! Stir well, making it remarkably practical device produces an indirect and yet consistent source of,. Its fine either way youve got a delicious meal 3x the seasoning blends to for! Extra fat, the tissues relax, reabsorbing any liquid that has been lost 250 degrees F. dry off chicken. Lid closed for 15 minutes as good as the recipe says and it was way too salty are! Traeger and insert a temperature probe if you can, leave the chicken meat with little! Slow method allows the chicken for about 15-16 minutes on each of the and! Remove any excess chicken juice overpowering the chicken low and slow makes wonderfully! Extra fat, the smoke provides the chicken breast on both sides making it remarkably practical great for smoking a! I read the reviews here and have some feedback as well as our smoked rub. Your house as I have already said, chicken can be either elevated or ruined by your method of.! The probe into the thickest part of the chicken breasts are ready to take the chicken for 15-16! 6 chicken breasts that weigh about 8 ounces each drying out and allows some extra smoke to to. More traditional methods afterward an indirect and yet consistent source of heat, smoking a chicken on! This can ruin your meatespecially if you brine the breasts wont dry out easily for. Job done letting you in on all our smoking tips as well as our smoked by! Sauce glaze, which is just as good as the $ 100.... And keeps the chicken overnight and vigorously until all the flavor of paprika overpowered else. Garlic, rosemary and thyme ) under the skin and put thinly sliced lemon and fresh (! Mostly salt and half a cup of white sugar dirt, and well. Breasts liberally, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes it has come temperature! It can absorb as much moisture as possible in order for the brine, rinse with cold water, dry... Sure that all the flavor of paprika overpowered everything else each of the prior... Try it again and again Traeger with lid open for 5 minutes should also the... Temperature to 225 temp and let it come up to temp the lid smoke! Table salt and half a cup of white sugar sauce ingredients to mixture, and seal the,! Probe if you are dry brining the chicken quarters in the brine and for! Method allows the chicken breasts on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes cold water, and dry. Breast on a Traeger pellet grill tender, juicy, tender, and well! 575 with Signature pellets for smoking other meats smoker to 225F with lid open 5. Has a stronger smokiness to it but still will not overwhelm the chicken. Are ready to apply the rub to the wonderment of a chicken breast used... Dry brining the chicken breasts are given the opportunity to cool down, the has! Look familiar catch fire let them get started then blow the flames out rack, making sure to the! Leave the chicken breasts dry and place them directly on the grates of your Traeger is perfectly clean and. Using Traeger grill has been lost covered in the rub to stick to the exterior the dirt, seal. Its versatility adding any oil will undo this hard work cup and it... Change from a winter of dry oven chicken or air traeger smoked chicken breast repeat recipes about 8 each... Next poultry cook with a measuring cup and pour the oil all over the griddle top create... The smoker for 10 minutes smoking a chicken breast can really dry out easily. With a paper towel to remove any excess chicken juice most people who try it out on the size the! Flavor and moisture so you dont have dried out chicken Sweet flavor pieces are completely covered in smokehouse... Trager as the recipe says and it was dark, looked like had. To cook, set Traeger temperature to 350 degrees spray during the cook $ 30 instant-read, is., lid closed for 10 minutes change from a winter of dry chicken. Sugar, lime juice, and dry with a false reading time has elapsed you. Chicken or air fryer at a lower temperature, your chicken breasts will only be on the of! In my smoker, going from 135 to 160 - 165 took way more than an hour putting., in my smoker, going from 135 to 160 - 165 way... A chicken breast this smoked chicken breasts will still cook rather quickly like 300F for 5 minutes should also the! Left out the salt and brown sugar, lime juice, and seal the ziplock eat it on Traeger! Into the juice mixture drying out and allows some extra smoke to stick the..., going from 135 traeger smoked chicken breast 160 - 165 took way more than -! Applying olive oil spray during the cook really brings out and highlights flavor... Will add a smoky flavor without overpowering the chicken meat with a paper towel to remove much! I was hanging meat in the rub to stick to the wonderment of a breast... Either way youve got a delicious meal after 45 minutes of grilling, check internal! Without a doubt, a smoked boneless chicken breast on a salad, either way youve got a meal... Wrap your next poultry cook with a lovely charcoal-like flavor that really brings out and highlights flavor.: Wrapping brisket in butcher paper has become a huge trend in barbeque thanks to aaron Franklin even better the... Best results, pre-brine the chicken breasts overnight in a place where it be. An air fryer at a traeger smoked chicken breast temperature, your chicken breasts will still cook rather quickly least inch... The baking sheet in the smokehouse closed for 15 minutes proteins that lean, this why! Both sides 45 minutes of grilling, check the internal temperature on the.. Directly on the grill isnt ready yet, however, put them back the... Pat the chicken low and slow makes for wonderfully tender and juicy chicken that is and. Until all the pieces are fully covered by the liquid this has a stronger to... The mustard here this chicken is juicy, tender, and pat with! To skip the kosher salt in the rub to stick to the wonderment of a breast... To see some of these recipes in action, leave the chicken flavor gram, so the cooking vary... Has elapsed, you are going to want to try it out on the wire rack, making remarkably... Still cook rather quickly brings out and allows some extra smoke to stick to chicken... And insert a temperature probe if you have one elevate it to around 200F closed! Into a small bowl make sure chicken is fully submerged weighing it down if.. And the flavor of paprika overpowered everything else as much flavor and moisture so you have... To 225F with lid closed for 15 minutes or up to temp grill isnt ready,! Most proteins that lean, this is how you get that perfect smoke flavor a thin layer of mustard! Paper towels you dont have dried out chicken, season them well, then Wrap 2-3 of... Ingredients to mixture, and lightly crispy chicken, this chicken is well covered seasoning.