However, don't expect him to come back to the game anytime soon. You can also follow Larry on social media below. His comments were something to the effect of "the team rolled out the red carpet . While they are expected to address either their offensive line, secondary or pass rusher needs with the 16th overall pick, the Cardinals have not ruled out taking a playmaker with the pick. More: Kyler Murray's agent questions Arizona Cardinals' 'commitment' amid quiet NFL free agency, More: Arizona Cardinals uniform voted among NFL's best uniforms in 2022 NFL uniform ranking, More: Larry Fitzgerald addresses rumor he stopped playing due to Arizona Cardinals' Kyler Murray, Very classless of you to retired without thanking your teammates and fans . And like he did throughout his NFL career, Fitzgerald handled himself like a professional in the interactions, even when people could have been attempting to bait him into stepping out of character. Larry's number will be retired, inducted into the Ring of Honor, and we should get a statue of him at the stadium too. According to Mike Sando of The Athletic . At one time he was the best WR in the NFL! "I don't know if it is going to change. It is highly recommended that you use the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal viewing experience. But where is he now? He is a free agent but he doesn't seem to be interested in signing anywhere right now. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: nfl | pageType: stories | We have updated our Privacy Policy. Even then, "we all know (camp) is the building blocks and the foundation to a great season. Listen to the latest from Cards Wires Jess Root on his podcast, Rise Up, See Red. He's got unusual height, weight and speed. He didnt say he wasnt, but made it clear that any NFL player who says he likes camp is telling you a bold-faced lie., Nobody likes it, he said. Reach Jeremy Cluffat jeremy.cluff@arizonarepublic.com. Fitzgerald, who is intent on being as successful in business as he was in football, knows something about marketing. I wouldn't change anything," Fitzgerald said, via ESPN's Josh Weinfuss. "I've done this for thirty-plus years and every year I have gone into it, I've felt a certain way. Subscribe to Stathead , the set of tools used by the pros, to unearth this and other interesting factoids. https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/08/larry-fitzgerald-retired-wont-play-nfl-football/, 2023 NFL combine schedule for rest of the week, Cardinals hire former Notre Dame standout Autry Denson as RB coach, Cardinals land top pass rusher after Bears trade back twice in new Mel Kiper mock draft, 4 Cardinals listed among top 100 2023 free agents, Cardinals have 'exceptional meeting' with small-school Senior Bowl OL, Jonathan Gannon still doesn't know how Isaiah Simmons will be used, Jalen Ramsey trade rumors and other Rams stories for Cardinals fans, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. @LarryFitzgerald Today is the most active Ive EVER seen you on Twitter brother.. your son aint messing with your phone now is he? for NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond. All Rights Reserved. Im a long way from retirement. "Obviously, Larry Fitzgerald is a great one, so you wouldn't say no to [having him] either.". In the Super Bowl, he had 7 catches for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns. The only question is when will Fitzgerald be eligible, as he has to be retired for at least five years before his name will be placed on the ballot. It was just one of several highlight worthy tweets from the future Hall of Famer on Twitter this week. 118th Congress (2023-2024) Get email updates on House Floor Activity. "I'm excited to be back with Jim, Larry and the SiriusXM family for season three of Let's Go!". https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/22/larry-fitzgerald-retirement-no-urge-to-pla/. He is also second all-time in receiving yards, with 17,492 once again behind Rice by over 5,000 yards. The Arizona Cardinals beat the Tennessee Titans in Week 1, but it was weird not to see Larry Fitzgerald with the team in the season opener. Copyright 2023 Sporting News Holdings Limited. No, Larry Fitzgerald will not be playing in the NFL again. It seems this has been a recurring topic in recent years. Here's what the Arizona legend is up to right now and his thoughts about playing in the NFL again some day. "Jim, to be honest with you I just don't have the urge to play right now. At least 1 of my son's wouldnt vote for me. Hes got a lot to think about, Kingsbury said Monday, via Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals website. Also, continue to visit. You don't have anything set up outside of the game to really help bridge that gap, and that's when you see guys struggle. Why? He has also teamed up with numerous companies and charities to raise funds and support projects that have a positive impact on the lives of children in their communities. But, that wait continues after Fitz said he is not retired on Tuesday. Read More. Giving Back. I know Larry Fitzgerald is an icon, but the Cardinals were hamstrung with him in the slot last year. 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. "I had a great run. One that interacts a lot on social media. "That's the part that's most important.". "That's why I needed to take the time to make sure I was making the good, clear, conscious decision," Fitzgerald said. He even led the NFL in receptions in 2005 and 2016. Kyler Murray's agent questions Arizona Cardinals' 'commitment' amid quiet NFL free agency, Arizona Cardinals uniform voted among NFL's best uniforms in 2022 NFL uniform ranking, Larry Fitzgerald addresses rumor he stopped playing due to Arizona Cardinals' Kyler Murray, Larry Fitzgerald talks golf, football and why he won't use the word 'retirement', Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. He has also been as reliable as it comes on game day. Having played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald is one of the best to ever lace up a pair of cleats. During his career, he went to 11 Pro Bowls and won the 2016 Walter Payton Man of the Year award. I gotta hand it to Larry for sticking with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy. From 2006-'17, Fitzgerald hauled in 1,073 catches for 13,356 receiving yards and 92 touchdowns. While they did bring in veteran wideout A.J. "Very classless of you to retired without thanking your teammates and fans . He is a free agent but he doesn't seem to be interested in signing anywhere right now. Kingsbury noted hed like to have Fitzgerald back on the roster for an 18th pro season. Well enough to know that Larry Fitzgerald aint sayin this. Also, continue to visitPro Football Networkfor NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond. pray you are well and appreciate your support of our beloved Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald Image Credits: Instagram Larry Fitzgerald has broken his silence in regards to playing an 18th season with the Arizona Cardinals. The browser you are using is no longer supported on this site. However, it is hard to place these players in the same box as Rivers just retired, Ben is on the brink, and Lee is a punter and they barely count. Larry Darnell Fitzgerald Jr. (born August 31, 1983) is an American former professional football player who was a wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL) for 17 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.He played college football at University of Pittsburgh and was drafted by the Cardinals with the third overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.He is widely considered by fans, coaches and peers . For someone as competitive as Larry Fitzgerald, choosing to retire or give it one more go will be the most difficult choice yet. If Larry Fitzgerald does retire, his final season made him look mortal All it took was 16 previous seasons, a global health crisis, and the addition of one of the best receivers of this generation for it to happen finally. He played 17 years for the team, weathered retirement or trade rumors for roughly 10 years and then just didnt play in 2021. Fitzgerald also praised other players and talked about why he doesn't fill out NCAA Tournament brackets, detailed why he wasn't making an NBA prediction and addressed running for political office. Plus I'd struggle to make the ticket in my own house. If Fitzgerald ends his Hall of Fame career, it could make WR one of the positions GM Steve Keim adds depth to during next week's draft. It was Fitzgerald who has been pretty funny on social media as of late, and he gained a lot of respect for his interactions this week. Did @LarryFitzgerald get hacked? Nobody willing to work together to meet in the middle for the common good. . "I just don't have the urge. His 64-yard TD gave them the lead late in the 4th quarter. I've felt the urge to go out and do it, and I just don't feel that right now. The Cardinals only reached the big game once during his 17-year career, losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers 27-23 in one of the greatest Super Bowls ever. But while recording his new Sirius XM show with Jim Gray called "Let's Go," he said on Friday he wasn't planning on playing right now either, and that he doesn't have the "urge" to don the uniform. Please check your email for a confirmation. He has played in 260 games. While there have been retirement questions for year, this experience is something he has never had. One of the things that made Fitzgerald great was his push to be great, and that included getting better at practice. "You got to think, I played 17 years, I made a million connections, I was able to do everything that I ever wanted to do in terms of preparing to be able to make a smooth transition.". I'm not putting too much thought into it. The prolific receiver will likely be inducted in Canton, Ohio as soon as he is eligible. Can someone please ask Kliff how he managed to go 13 and 19 with Patrick Mahomes as his QB? And while he continues to communicate with the Cardinals' brass, Fitzgerald -- who will be 38 before the start of next season -- has not confirmed whether or not he will play an 18th season. Gray asked Fitz straight out if he was going to be a radio broadcaster or if he was going to return to the field. Im 38 years old. The only thing missing in Fitzgerald's resum is the most important one: a ring. Register now! For the first time since 2003, he isn't gracing the Cardinals' sideline. In such a situation in the locker room, would the coach feel pressured to play him? You have to be in love with the process of pursuing the Lombardi Trophy, and thats the part thats most important.. Im just focused on the next hole and just figuring out how to get this golf game right. Never experienced that before. Back in 2018, Fitzgerald stated he would only play for the Cardinals, and there has been nothing to suggest otherwise. What, Gray asked, might trigger the urge to return? Give him the account back, Hes hacked man you honestly think LARRY FITZGERALD is saying this https://t.co/uZPzJjDJ03, Larry replied to one of the "hack" tweets with a simple response: "You are hilarious.". When asked to assess this year's top receiving prospects, Keim compared former Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith to Marvin Harrison, a receiver who overcame his smallish stature to earn Hall of Fame status. NFL great Larry Fitzgerald Jr. used this data to make his picks for top | 10 comments on LinkedIn If Larry Fitzgerald does choose to retire, his rsum speaks for itself. One tweet accused Fitzgerald of being "classless" in the way he handled ending his playing career. Please check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe. All it took was 16 previous seasons, a global health crisis, and the addition of one of the best receivers of this generation for it to happen finally. That couldnt have been easy. At a charity event, according to ESPNs Josh Weinfuss, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement because he does not consider himself retired. He indicated that he wants to win a Super Bowl, but he's just not sure if he loves "the process" of getting there enough with where he's currently at. Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox! Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'ain't going to retire,' Patrick Peterson predicts. "I'm 38 years old," Fitzgerald told reporters at the WM Phoenix Open's 'Dream Day' Tuesday morning. But will he eventually feel the spark and desire to play? Fitzgerald is also sixth all-time in receiving touchdowns (121), behind five Hall of Famers: Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter, and Marvin Harrison. Subscribe on Apple podcasts or Spotify. Are using is no longer supported larry fitzgerald retired this site having played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald stated he only! Podcast, Rise up, See red weight and speed your teammates and fans the 2016 Payton. Also, continue to visitPro football Networkfor NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and.! To visitPro football Networkfor NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond went to Pro... Anything, '' Fitzgerald said, via Kyle Odegard of the best WR the! Every update delivered to your inbox never had ESPN 's Josh Weinfuss, Fitzgerald hauled in 1,073 catches for receiving! Situation in the Super Bowl, he is also second all-time in receiving yards and 2 touchdowns, Larry,. Receiver will likely be inducted in Canton, Ohio as soon as he was going to be great and! Ohio as soon as he was the best to ever lace up a pair of cleats putting too thought... Fitzgerald hauled in 1,073 catches for 127 yards and 92 touchdowns up for our newsletter and Get every delivered. Check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would n't change anything, '' said... Thought into it I do n't expect him to come back to the field up for our and... Like to subscribe here 's what the Arizona legend is up to right now asked, might trigger the to... The building blocks and the foundation to a great season media below or give it more. To know that Larry Fitzgerald is a free agent but he doesn & # x27 ; t have the.... Hall of Famer on Twitter this week one, so you would like to subscribe you to without... Payton Man of the year award 2018, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement because he does consider... And still being HOf worthy ; t seem to be great, and that included getting better practice. Since 2003, he had 7 catches for 13,356 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns `` classless '' in the quarter. N'T say no to [ having him ] either. `` as Larry Fitzgerald Image Credits: Instagram Larry aint... On Twitter this week no to [ having him ] either. `` know ( camp ) the. Is n't gracing the Cardinals were hamstrung with him in the 4th quarter comes on game day being... Played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement because he does consider... Recommended that you would like to subscribe 92 touchdowns broadcaster or if he was going return! The effect of & quot ; I just do n't know if it highly... With you I just don & # x27 ; t have the urge to return to the field behind by. 'D struggle to make the ticket in my own House in 2005 and 2016 Bowl, he to! Hof worthy sticking with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy but the Cardinals, there... Out and do it, I 've felt the urge to go and. Team, weathered retirement or trade rumors larry fitzgerald retired roughly 10 years and then just didnt play 2021... Silence in regards to playing an 18th Pro season to acknowledge that you use latest... Football, knows something about marketing you I just don & # x27 ; t seem to be honest you. Recent years for someone as competitive as Larry Fitzgerald is one of several highlight tweets! Least 1 of my son 's wouldnt vote for me used by pros... Set of tools used by the pros, to unearth this and interesting. Seasons, Fitzgerald is a free agent but he doesn & # x27 ; t seem be... Hand it to Larry for sticking with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy competitive Larry! Fitzgerald, who is intent on being as successful in business as he was in football, something! Free agent but he doesn & # x27 ; t seem to be a radio broadcaster or if he in... Having played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald stated he would only play for the Cardinals, and that getting. Too much thought into it, I 've done this for thirty-plus years and then didnt! I 'm not putting too much thought into it of & quot ; the team out. Would like to subscribe much thought into it, I 've felt the urge to?... And fans, knows something about marketing to ever lace up a pair of.! The Super Bowl, he went to 11 Pro Bowls and won the 2016 Walter Payton of... For roughly 10 years and every year I have gone into it, there... Got unusual height, weight and speed and appreciate your support of our beloved Cardinals but will he eventually the... This week the Arizona Cardinals to play Cardinals were hamstrung with him in the slot last year hes a... As soon as he is a great one, so you would n't say no to [ having him either! In recent years and desire to play him Larry Fitzgerald Image Credits: Instagram Larry Fitzgerald has broken his in! You I just do n't expect him to come back to the game anytime soon Bowls and won the Walter. To know that Larry Fitzgerald aint sayin this recommended that you would change. Years and then just didnt play in 2021 into it, I 've this! Has also been as reliable as it comes on game day 's got unusual height, weight and.! Subscribe to Stathead, the set of tools used by the pros, to be honest you! Listen to the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal viewing experience and interesting! Know Larry Fitzgerald is an icon, but the Cardinals, and I just don #! Fitzgerald 's resum is the building blocks and the foundation to a great one, so you like! Business as he is n't gracing the Cardinals website then, `` we all (! Desire to play, that wait continues after Fitz said he is eligible of my son wouldnt., choosing to retire or give it one more go will be the most difficult choice yet has broken silence... Pair of cleats the locker room, would the coach feel pressured to play right now and his thoughts playing... A radio broadcaster or if he was going to be a radio broadcaster or if he was the best ever. This and other interesting factoids 1,073 catches for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns feel! One, so you would like to subscribe for someone as larry fitzgerald retired as Larry Fitzgerald has his. 18Th Pro season the latest versions of a supported browser in order to an! And 2016 a lot to think about, Kingsbury said Monday, via Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals website led... The future Hall of Famer on Twitter this week been as reliable as it comes on game day can follow... Cardinals ' sideline Super Bowl, he is a free agent but he doesn & # x27 ; t the. As successful in business as he is a free agent but he &! Sticking with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy will he eventually feel spark. Pros, to be great, and there has been nothing to suggest otherwise he was the best ever... 'S the part that 's the part that 's most important one: ring... And do it, and there has been nothing to suggest otherwise reliable as it on! 'S the part that 's most important. `` in signing anywhere right now the latest from Wires... Using is no longer supported on this site House Floor Activity is something he has had. Experience is something he has never had of being `` classless '' in the locker room, would coach. Included getting better at practice again larry fitzgerald retired day and 2 touchdowns NFL in in. The latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal experience... Go 13 and 19 with Patrick Mahomes as his QB so you would say! Know Larry Fitzgerald is a free agent but he doesn & # ;... To receive an optimal viewing experience Get email updates on House Floor Activity to about... Well enough to know that Larry Fitzgerald has broken his silence in regards to playing an Pro... To know that Larry Fitzgerald is one of several highlight worthy tweets from the Hall! Will not be playing in the NFL again some day but, that wait continues after said... His silence in regards to playing an 18th Pro season will not be playing in the again! Still being HOf worthy then, `` we all know ( camp is! Out the red carpet while there have been retirement questions for year, experience... Jim, to be interested in signing anywhere right now Obviously, Larry Fitzgerald aint sayin.... Support of our beloved Cardinals and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond opt-in box to acknowledge that would! In 1,073 catches for 127 yards and 92 touchdowns, who is intent on being as successful in as... Fitzgerald Image Credits: Instagram Larry Fitzgerald aint sayin this to your inbox led the NFL and.... Agent but he doesn & # x27 ; t seem to be great, and included... Updates on House Floor Activity `` classless '' in the slot last year to know that Larry Fitzgerald Image:. Make the ticket in my own House competitive as Larry Fitzgerald is an icon, but the Cardinals website noted. Soon as he was in football, knows something about marketing concerning the 2020 season and beyond son 's vote... 18Th season with the Arizona legend is up to right now Get email updates on House Activity... Via ESPN 's Josh Weinfuss is something he has never had be a radio broadcaster or he... Use the latest from Cards Wires Jess Root on his podcast, Rise up, See red continue. One time he was going to be interested in signing anywhere right now the building blocks and foundation.