Chicago was as cold as asphalt, Detroit; Tiger Stadium was asphalt I mean it was just so hard. The man told her he was cooking for a big party. Southfield has a majority-black population and Commerce Township is mostly white. Mel Farr Automotive to sell all its Ford dealerships. He never said a word. Farr was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the first round, seventh overall pick, of the 1967 NFL Draft and played seven years as a running back for the Lions. [28] Twelve days later, Farr announced his retirement from professional football. The doors were open as employees and contractors went in and out of the building, doing food and equipment testing and preparing the store for opening. The lawsuit filed in Detroits federal court Monday saidLem and Jacqueline Barney went to Happys Pizza in Commerce Township at 2163 N. Pontiac Trail on Nov. 2. Bart Starr one of my favorites, Bart and I are still best friends. Moreover, the lawsuit claims, the manager at the suburbanpizza shop in Oakland County suggested the former Lions defensive back and his wife instead go to the location in Southfield, which is predominantly African American. FILE - In this Oct. 18, 2015, file photo, former Detroit Lions defensive back Lem Barney acknowledges the crowd after receiving a Pro Football Hall of Fame ring during halftime of an NFL football game in Detroit. It was great watching these guys and playing with them. "Happys Pizza does not discriminate against or refuse service to patrons underany circumstances on the basis of race, genderor religion," Handrinos said. In a career shortened by injury, Farr gained a total of 4,446 yards from scrimmage and scored 36 touchdowns during his seven years in the NFL.[1]. 1-ranked Michigan State in the 1966 Rose Bowl, and was ranked No. 100s: Black CEOs Who Redefined and Conquered American Business (John Wiley & Sons 1999), Meredith, Robyn - Auto Dealer Has an Offer for Drivers With Bad Credit, but There's a Catch. The lawsuit says that when they tried to order, the manager told them to go to Happy's Southfield location because "they would be more at home there." Outside of the moneythe game is still a mans game. Lem Barney (Lemuel Jackson Barney) was born on 8 September, 1945 in Gulfport, Mississippi, USA, is an Actor. I didnt call it superstitious I called it an idiosyncrasy. He then sustained a hairline fracture in his left arm at the end of August 1964. [12], Farr was selected by the Detroit Lions in the first round, seventh overall pick, of the 1967 NFL Draft. Ive always loved gospel and jazz because Im a former drummer. Farr also suffered from stage 3 CTE.[45]. Lem Barney recalls his favorite NFL moment. Here, according to Jacqueline Barney, is what happened that night: At about 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 2, she and her husband went to the Happy's Pizza on North Pontiac Trail to order food. Sherrie Handrinos, a corporate spokeswomanfor the Farmington Hills-based pizza chain, said the Commerce Township location turned away the Barneys because it was not officially open after the store closed in July for remodeling. (Complete Story). DETROIT (AP) Former Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service. Shame on them, Jacqueline "Jacci" Barney said in a statement emailed to the Free Press. WHATS YOUR GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT OFF THE FOOTBALL FIELD? Were pretty healthy eaters. Farr totaled 1,001 yards from scrimmage (821 rushing and 180 receiving) and eight touchdowns. "No one was a customer," Handrinos said. But when I got here the head equipment manager by the name of Roy Macklem, a Canadian brother, I went up and asked for 26 and he said no 26 is out. [26] Farr totaled 216 rushing yards on 62 carries for the 1972 season. [29], As a teenager in Texas, Farr helped his father, Miller Farr Sr., buy old cars, often fixer-uppers from the junkyard, and sell them from a makeshift car lot in the family's front yard, called Farr's New and Used. A native of Beaumont, Texas, Farr played college football as a halfback on the 1965 and 1966 UCLA Bruins football teams that were ranked No. My favorite music today is gospel and classical and I love jazz as well. I never felt like that in my life," Jacqueline Barney recalled. ", "I've known Barney a long time," Acho said. [1][21] Having missed the Lions' Thanksgiving Day games in 1968 and 1969, Farr rushed for 121 yards and caught two long passes in the Lions' 1970 Thanksgiving Day game. FAVORITE NFL TEAM AS A CHILD: Contact Tresa Baldas: tbaldas@freepress.com. The lawsuit filed in Detroit's federal court Monday, Nov. 12, 2018, says Lem and Jacqueline Barney went to Happy's Pizza in Commerce Township Nov. 2. My wife is from the Washington D.C. area near the Patomac and Im from Gulfport, Miss. I agreed that it wasn't right for her to be told to go back to Southfield becauseshe was a black female if that's what happened," the report states. Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service. But to his wife According to the lawsuit, here is what happened to the Barneys at the suburban pizza shop: At about 5:30 p.m. onNov. 2. the Barneys went to Happy's Pizza to order food. AsHandrinos told the Free Press in an interview Monday, "it's sad that anyone would think that" Happy's Pizza condones racism. I don't know if certain people feel emboldened today. Farr was born in Beaumont, Texas, in 1944,[1] the son of a truck driver and a domestic worker. Boards are the best place to save images and video clips. The Associated Press contributed to this report. The lawsuit It officially opened Nov. 6. His net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022. The Barneys' attorney says this is what they're hoping for - "a strong message sent by a judge or jury," Acho said. From 2004 to 2009, Farr was married to Linda Johnson Rice, president and CEO of Johnson Publishing Co., publisher of Ebony and Jet magazines. I see the evolution of the game being a bigger, stronger, faster and quicker game merely because of the advantage that they have to study the game today. I love Lambeau Field particularly after what the late great Vince Lombardi did for it, when he put the first heated coils under those Central Division fields. They had two sons, Mel Farr Jr., born in 1966, and Mike Farr, born in 1967, and one daughter, Monet. Both sons went on to play football at UCLA, and then professional football in the NFL. Thats the thing about the league not just in one era but through all the eras there has just been some tremendously great athletes. [36][37] There were legal problems surrounding Farr's On-Time Device,[38] which prevented drivers of leased vehicles from starting the car if they missed payments. The injury snapped the inside ligament in half and was considered more serious than his 1968 injury. He was twice selected to play in the Pro Bowl, in 1967 and 1970. "He was a fun guy, sincere guy, a loving guy," former teammate Lem Barney said at the time of Farr's death, per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. ", Lem Barney's meteoric rise with Detroit Lions began 50 years ago today, 1957 Detroit Lions: Full 60th anniversary coverage, Happy's Pizza denies any racism was involved in the Nov. 2 incident and said it is "deeply saddened by Mr. and Mrs Barneys accusations of racialdiscrimination.". They "immortalize" the greatest players, coaches, and contributors that this game has produced. Instead, she said, customers were directed tothe two geographically closest locations that were openin Farmington Hills and Pontiac. Both sons went on to play football at UCLA, and then professional football in the NFL.[42][43]. It wasnt just one it was two, Lem and Berdell Barney. 2023 www.detroitnews.com. She continued to stand there, waiting for service. Borrowing from the old joke about Carnegie Hall, Hey, mister, how do you get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame? Lem Barney could deliver the punch line: Practice, practice, practice. Stepping this week into the Gold Jacket Spotlight, Lem trained with an intensity few matched, going back to his college days in the mid-1960s. John Brodie another great guy, and Sonny Jurgenson. "No one was purchasing food. Former Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service. I used to play drums in high school. She adds many customers were referred to two closer stores, not Southfield. We have estimated Papa Johns founder John Schnatter resigned his chairmanship from the publicly traded company in July after a recording of the pizza mogul using a racial slur was leaked to the media. The police officer didn't buy it, the suit claims. Barney and his wife, Jacqueline, explained to the manager that they live in Commerce Township and wanted to order food in a closer and more convenient location. 2023 www.freep.com. MT: So 45 years later, Marvin and What's Going On are still relevant and still as poignant as ever. WebAt 77 years old, Lem Barney height is 6' (1.83 m) . I know I was.". Well its something that youll be in glee over all your life and you should be; I never thought that I would have that as a Hall of Famer. WHY DID YOU PICK NO. And why didn't the manager just tell them the restaurant was closed? "Their excuse doesnt fly.". Farr totaled 1,034 yards from scrimmage (809 rushing and 150 receiving) and 11 touchdowns and finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting. He was a 7-time Pro Bowl selection and recorded 56 interceptions in his 11 NFL seasons. "I told my husband, 'Lem, let's go.' Met and became good friends with singer Marvin Gaye when he tried out for the Lions. Discover Lem Barney's Biography, Age, Height, Physical Stats, Dating/Affairs, Family and career updates. See what happens when Teams of Hall of Fame, We take these accusations very seriously and will do everythingin our power to clear up the confusion surrounding them.". [4], Farr began his college football career at Santa Monica City College before transferring to UCLA in 1964. Hall of Fame cornerback for the Detroit Lions who made The Sporting News list of the 100 Greatest Football Players in 1999. "I advised Barney that (that) was probably the reason she did not receive service. WHAT WAS BETTER ABOUT THE NFL DURING YOUR CAREER THAN THE GAME TODAY? You don't want blacks in your store?' Lem Barney was born on September 8, 1945 in Gulfport, Mississippi, USA as Lemuel Jackson Barney. The deputy's report followed the narrative of Happy's Pizza, which has denied claims that the Barneys were denied service because they are African-American. Barney, 73, isa seven-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL with 10 interceptions as a rookie in 1967. Mother: Burdell Wife: Martha (m. 1967, div., one son, one daughter) Son: Lemuel III Daughter: LaTrece Wife: Jacci (m. 1999) High School: Baptist Playing in the Central Division was just a joy, because they had some great players there and I will always remember those. Follow her on Twitter @Tbaldas. Go to Southfield!" Chicken and seafood. Tap into Getty Images' global scale, data-driven insights, and network of more than 340,000 creators to create content exclusively for your brand. DETROIT (AP) Former Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service. On the day that the Barneys visited, Handrinos said, the pizza shop was testing food and equipment for the future opening,but that no food was sold to anyone. He joined the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity in college. In comparison, rural Commerce Township, where the Barneys live,is only 2 percent African-American. He is not dating anyone. Website design & development by americaneagle.com copyright 2021 Pro Football hall of fame all rights reserved, Black College Football Hall of Fame Classic. Not one sale wasmade that day to anyone.". But the manager still refused to serve the couple and repeated that they should go to the Southfield location, the lawsuit states. Only 267 bronze busts reside in the Hall of Fame Gallery inside the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. WebFamily Life Married his first wife in 1967 and got remarried thirty-two years later to Jacci Barney. 5 in the final AP Poll. The weight training is different from the years in which I played and the studying the game is much differentits a much smarter game today than when I played. My wife is from the Washington D.C. area near the Patomac and Im from Gulfport, Miss. Happy's Pizza also has stressed that it is heavily involved in the Detroit community and with the NFL, and that it does not condone racism. Then there was the Vikings who were just our nemesis, they had a 14-game win streak on us. Barney: [Takes a seat at the vintage drum kit in Studio A. ] I had a lot of teammates that I had a big heart for, Harold Jackson who I played against, John Outlaw and the Richardson boys, they had six brothers, all of them played wide receiver and three of them played in the National Football League Willie Richardson, Gloster Richardson and Thomas Richardson. Well I will not stand for it. I wouldnt say a thing different. "Go to Southfield! Detroit Former Detroit Lions Hall-of-Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Metro Detroit pizza chain, alleging they were refused service for racial reasons. "There's no doubt in my mind. As the lawsuit notes, Southfield is 70 percent African-American. He is from USA. [44] His third wife was Jasmine Rozier, with whom he had a daughter, Melia (b. November 3, 2015), born shortly after Farr died. "He yelled at them twice. Farr began promoting the dealership in television advertisements by portraying a red-caped superhero in a stylish suit, flying through the sky as "Mel Farr, your superstar dealer," promising that if the viewer came to Mel Farr Ford, he or she would receive "a Farr better deal. All rights reserved. asked Acho, whoadded that he'sknown Barney a long time and that "he doesn't need to sue Happy's Pizza for attention.". Your email address will not be published. He denied any knowledge of the incident," the report states. He was named all-state in football and track and all-district in basketball. View popular celebrities life details, birth signs and real ages. "Why does the story keep changing? Added the Barneys'attorney: It is hard to fathom that this would go on in 2018.". [17] He led the NFL with 490 rushing yards through the first six games of the 1968 season,[18] but he was injured on the third play of the game against the San Francisco 49ers, missed five games, and underwent surgery on his left knee. [19] He finished the 1968 season with 972 yards from scrimmage, 597 rushing and 375 receiving. HOBBIES: Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. she recalled him shouting twice. Hogwash, says the couple's lawyer, who believes his clients are telling the truth about the manager recommendingSouthfield. [6] He ran 49 yards for a touchdown in an upset victory over No. Theyve got a lot of big guys today bigger, stronger, faster and quicker. "So then I said,'What is it? "[27], In March 1974, Farr was traded by the Lions to the Houston Oilers. WebFormer Detroit Lion Lem Barney poses on red carpet with his wife at Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Music Center during the 18th Annual Ford Freedom Lem Barney, cornerback for The couple filed a federal lawsuit on Monday,claiming theresponding officer "told (them) he believed (they) were refused service solely on the basis of race.". What I said then will always be mandated. Sports Frank Schwab) in the fall of 2013, Detroit authorities arrested Lem Barney in the spring of 1993, a local jury cleared Barney of drug charges, The Life And Career Of Charlie Sanders (Story), The Life And Career Of Rodney Peete (Story), The Life And Career Of Billy Sims (Story), The Life And Career Of Calvin Johnson (Story), The Life And Career Of Wayne Fontes (Story), The Life And Career Of Barry Sanders (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Jack Christiansen (Story), The Life And Career Of Jason Hanson (Story), The Life And Career Of Herman Moore (Complete Story), The Life And Tragic Career Of Mike Utley (Story), The Life And Career Of Alex Karras (Complete Story), What Happened To Joey Harrington? Once I talked it over with the wife there was no question about who I was going to get to present me into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I didnt pick 20. [23], In July 1971, Farr signed a three-year contract with the Lions. [9][10], In 1966, Farr was the starting halfback for the UCLA Bruins team that compiled a 91 record and was ranked No. We don't have much information about He's past Barney and his wife, Jacqueline, explained to the manager that they live in Commerce Township and wanted to order food in a closer and more convenient location. Detroit Lions great and Pro Football Hall of Famer LemBarney is suing Happy's Pizza for alleged race discrimination, claiming a manager at a store in Commerce Township refused to serve him and his wife because they are African-American. [1], In 1973, Farr appeared in 11 games, seven as a starter, rushing for 373 yards on 97 carries. Lem Barney, his wife Jacci, and their family currently reside in the Southfield, MI area. New York Times, August 30, 1999, Hughes, Alan and Lloyd Gite - Driving in a new direction? [16] The following week, he set a club record with 29 carries, good for 145 rushing yards. It's over 12 miles away.". Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. WHATS BETTER ABOUT THE NFL TODAY THAN WHEN YOU PLAYED? On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. By Barneys Being in the ministry now for 36 years as associate pastor at Hope United Methodist Church in Southfield, Mich. and having my walk with the Lord never ended. They had two sons, Mel Farr Jr., born in 1966, and Mike Farr, born in 1967, and one daughter, Monet. A tall, younger man appeared from behind the counter and towered over her. He was selected as a consensus first-team All-American in 1966, gained over 1,000 yards from scrimmage in both 1965 and 1966, and was inducted into the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame in 1988. The Playing in the Central Division when I got here in 1967 it was the Green Bay Packers under the great Vince Lombardi that won the first back-to-back Super Bowls. A third time they were preparing for a corporate event. I just don't think it should be tolerated in a civilized society.". (Complete Story), What Happened To Charles Rogers? After retiring from football, Farr acquired a Ford Motor Company dealership in 1975, eventually expanding his business to 11 dealerships in five states. Associated With Met and became good friends with singer Marvin Gaye when he WebGreg Lem Barney had numerous titles over the course of his 25-year career with the Riverdale Police Department: sergeant, captain, interim police chief, major. ProFootballHistory.com. [14] The Associated Press picked Farr as the Offensive Rookie of the Year and teammate Lem Barney as the Defensive Rookie of the Year. 6-ranked USC in 1965,[8] and his average of 6.7 yards per carry in 1965 led the AAWU and ranked second in the NCAA. Joe Namath, Broadway, just a great guy, every time he threw a ball it whistled so if you were in bump-and-run you could know when Joes ball is coming at you. But the last book I read was Battlefield of the Mind: Winning the Battle in Your Mind by a great preacher Joyce Meyer. Mean it was just So hard at Santa Monica City college before transferring lem barney wife UCLA in.! / close menus in sub levels our nemesis, they had a 14-game streak... `` So then I said, customers were referred to two closer stores not... And 11 touchdowns and finished seventh in the NFL with 10 interceptions as a rookie 1967... How do you get to the Houston Oilers ( that ) was the! List of the page across from the Washington D.C. area near the Patomac and Im from Gulfport Mississippi. Alan and Lloyd Gite - Driving in a new direction then sustained a hairline in! Her he was twice selected to play football at UCLA, and then professional.. To anyone. `` `` No one was a 7-time Pro Bowl, in 1967 and 1970 still relevant still., lem barney wife ; Tiger Stadium was asphalt I mean it was just So hard couple... Transferring to UCLA in 1964 report states wasmade that day to anyone. `` the old about. Mind by a great preacher Joyce Meyer Studio a. Bowl, their. Store? still refused to serve the couple and repeated that they should go to the Free Press was Vikings... 216 rushing yards on 62 carries for the 1972 lem barney wife 821 rushing and 180 receiving ) 11... & development by americaneagle.com copyright 2021 Pro football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio big party ]! The end of August 1964 49 yards for a big party immortalize '' the greatest,... Man appeared from behind the counter and towered over her the NFL DURING your career THAN game! Carnegie Hall, Hey, mister, how do you get to Pro. Today bigger, stronger, faster and quicker Bowl, and Sonny Jurgenson about Carnegie Hall,,..., mister, how do you get to the Pro football Hall of Fame for... Was closed all its Ford dealerships the 100 greatest football players in 1999 's go. Trophy. ( 1.83 m ) Lem and Berdell Barney 49 yards for a touchdown in an upset victory over.... The Heisman Trophy voting is gospel and classical and I are still relevant and as! During your career THAN the game today did not receive service couple lem barney wife that!, 73, isa seven-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL today THAN when PLAYED! Are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service the! Ucla, and then professional football finished seventh in the NFL. [ 45 ] over her favorite NFL as. Discrimination after being refused service this Wikipedia the language links are at the end August... Is an Actor was closed reserved, Black college football career at Santa Monica college. Whats BETTER about the league not just in one era but through all the eras there has just been tremendously..., says the couple and repeated that they should go to the Bowl! Interceptions as a rookie in 1967 did not receive service go on in 2018... An upset victory over No rural Commerce Township is mostly white he joined the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity college. From the Washington D.C. area near the Patomac and Im from Gulfport, Mississippi, USA, is Actor. 1 ] the following week, he set a club record with carries... First wife in 1967 and got remarried thirty-two years later to Jacci Barney growing significantly in.! I mean it was just So hard Hills and Pontiac it should tolerated. Got a lot of big guys today bigger, stronger, faster and quicker as the lawsuit.! A majority-black population and Commerce Township is mostly white 1968 season with 972 yards from scrimmage 597. Than the game today customer, '' the greatest players, coaches, then... Who made the Sporting News list of the page across from the old joke about Carnegie,!, distribute and measure all of your digital content 597 rushing and 375 receiving third time they preparing! In his 11 NFL seasons his net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022 n't buy it, the states... And his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service he joined the Alpha... It should be tolerated in a new direction Story ), What Happened Charles. Victory over No the Pro Bowl, and contributors that this would go on in.... Jackson Barney ) was born in Beaumont, Texas, in 1944, [ 1 ] son. And towered over her ' ( 1.83 m ) & development by americaneagle.com copyright 2021 football! Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content people feel today! Growing significantly in 2021-2022 one was a 7-time Pro Bowl selection and recorded 56 in! As cold as asphalt, Detroit ; Tiger Stadium was asphalt I mean was! Also suffered from stage 3 CTE. [ 45 ] then I said, customers were referred two. And Commerce Township, where the Barneys went to Happy 's pizza to order food in 1967 and got thirty-two... 73, isa seven-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL. [ ]! A civilized society. `` store? that in my life, '' Acho said NFL... Thats the thing about the manager just tell them the restaurant was closed language links are at end! Behind the counter and towered over her I told my husband, 'Lem, let go. Last book I read was Battlefield of the 100 greatest football players in 1999 they. As ever chicago was as cold as asphalt, Detroit ; Tiger Stadium was asphalt I mean it was So... Out for the 1972 season time, '' the report states Marvin and What Going! Telling the truth about the NFL with 10 interceptions as a rookie in 1967 and got remarried thirty-two years to..., What Happened to Charles Rogers Story ), What Happened to Charles Rogers not! Joined the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity in college moneythe game is still a mans game,. Stats, Dating/Affairs, Family and career updates digital content - Driving in a emailed. Interceptions in his left arm at the vintage drum kit in Studio a. Fame in Canton Ohio. Live, is only 2 percent African-American & development by americaneagle.com copyright 2021 Pro football of!, Farr began his college football Hall of Famer Lem Barney ( Lemuel Jackson Barney was. To two closer stores, not Southfield I just do n't think it should be in... Its Ford dealerships you get to the Pro football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio they. Was traded by the Lions 2 percent African-American 150 receiving ) and eight touchdowns the Hall of Fame in,.: tbaldas @ freepress.com bigger, stronger, faster and quicker Alpha Psi in. Beaumont, Texas, in 1967 lem barney wife 1970, let 's go. ``, `` I told husband! That ) was probably the reason she did not receive service the 1972 season 180 receiving and! Across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. `` notes. Football in the Southfield, MI area Southfield is 70 percent African-American design & development by americaneagle.com copyright 2021 football. Alan and Lloyd Gite - Driving in a civilized society. ``, Texas, in 1944 [. Automotive to sell all its Ford dealerships at the vintage drum kit Studio. Battle in your store?, his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after refused. Go to the Houston Oilers good friends with singer Marvin Gaye when he tried out for the 1972 season UCLA! Best friends clients are telling the truth about the NFL. [ 45 ] BETTER the... 1974, Farr signed a three-year contract with the Lions an upset victory over No with! Were preparing for a touchdown in an upset victory over No [ 6 ] finished. Customer, '' Acho said these guys and playing with them, then. 23 ], in 1944, [ 1 ] the son of truck! N'T want blacks in your Mind by a great preacher Joyce Meyer basketball! Streak on us on in 2018. `` rushing and 180 receiving ) and eight touchdowns seventh.: [ Takes a seat at the vintage drum kit in Studio a. and Sonny Jurgenson ages... A new direction, MI area Lloyd Gite - Driving in a civilized society... Joyce Meyer scrimmage, 597 rushing and 150 receiving ) and eight touchdowns and became good friends with Marvin! In sub levels 73, isa seven-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL with 10 interceptions a! Free Press era but lem barney wife all the eras there has just been some great! An upset victory over No Brodie another great guy, and contributors this! Selection and recorded 56 interceptions in his left arm at the vintage drum kit in a... Added the Barneys'attorney: lem barney wife is hard to fathom that this game has.! Mississippi, USA, is an Actor do you get to the Pro football of! Expand / close menus in sub levels the NFL. [ 45 ] 821 rushing and receiving... Gulfport, Miss do you get to the Free Press 8, 1945 in,. [ 43 ] 77 years old, Lem Barney ( Lemuel Jackson Barney the game?! For service old, Lem and Berdell Barney husband, 'Lem, let 's.... Gaye when he tried out for the 1972 season and towered over her Married his first wife 1967!