And while Guadalajara is definitely changing and becoming more of a tech town (think Silicone Valley of the south), its still not terribly safe. In terms of safety, its difficult to get statistics as Guanajuato is both a city, but also the state that city is in. And Quertaro City has the lowest rate of drug cartel-related deaths in all of Mexico. Nor did they even bother to check our cat's papers. A lot of people go to Playa del Carmen and Tulum, but on the Yucatan Peninsula there are these two beautiful colonial cities that are so welcoming, colorful, and full of traditions that travelers wont regret visiting them, he says. Do exercise caution if moving to the city just as you would if moving to a big city in the US like New York. Monterrey is a likely stopping point after a long days drive. Todos Santos is slowly being discovered, but its stone streets and uncrowded beaches have earned it the official Pueblo Magico designation. Most foreigners who move to Mexico live in Lake Chapala in the state of Jalisco, Ensenada in Baja California, Mrida in the Yucatan peninsula, and the Riviera Maya in Quintana Roo. Yelapa is Mexicos last authentic beach town, says Pacheco, and is definitely under the radar. But heres a handy list of several well-known Mexican cities and parts of Mexico you may want to avoid, and the homicide rate. The surprising truth is that Mexico City is relatively safe. Of all the types of crime that could happen, the biggest risk here is auto theft. The policy is being challenged by the United States Supreme Court, which is considering whether it violates international law by sending asylum seekers to countries with a high risk of persecution. For safety, being close to the big tourist destinations of Cabo San Lucas and San Jos del Cabo, you dont see much crime here. malecn (boardwalk). In the Axios story , reporter Russell Contreras wrote: "The latest crime data collected by the FBI from 2019 contradicts the narrative by President Trump and others that the U.S.-Mexico border is a "lawless" region suffering from violence and mayhem." Yes, like other places on the list it has great beaches like Playa El Mdano. As in any other border town, it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings. No, Costa Rica is a great place to visit Is Costa Rica Kid Friendly? The options for temporary or permanent residency also can allow for work permits. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The bottom line to personal safety when traveling is using good judgment and common sense. Unlike most other cities on my list, I would not recommend Guanajuato for families or solo females. The safety situation in Mexico does vary considerably by region, however. San Cristobal, by comparison, is largely in the mountains in Chiapas. He is now a regular contributor to SmarterTravel. As a result, they were at odds with the Trump administrations Migrant Protection Protocols program. It may appear that the border towns along the Mexican border have everything to offer, but it is not the case. This surf town in Baja California Sur features world-class waves and lots of natural beautyand its just far enough north of touristy Cabo San Lucas to offer respite from the crowds. 12. Its one of the best-known Mexican cities for North Americans. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-65426049', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');flight), but I expect to travel back and forth in the future, including driving some. Tijuanas transformation is best suited to its slow and steady manner; in contrast, Jurezs patient rebuild cant compete with Tijuanas comeback. The walled center is somewhat of a museum piece, but the life of the town surrounding it might even be the main attraction. The plusses of living in Baja California Sur include being a port city but also surrounded by mountains. As far as safety goes, it's really not much of an issue at either crossing. Generally speaking, the state of Quintana Roo (where Playa Del Carmen is) is the safest of the Mexican states. Get to know the Areas Whether heading to Cancun, Mexico City or beyond, read online to get to know the best areas for a stay. 4 hours south of Cancn lies this gem, also in Quintana Roo. A final advice, never use the riverside highway that connects the Mexico's border cities such as Laredo,Mx-Reynosa-Matamoros, if she needs to move around the Rio Bravo's area, better use the american riverside highway (Laredo,Tx-McAllen-Brownsville). Located in the popular state of Oaxaca, theres plenty of picturesque Pacific beaches to choose from. Mrida is the capital and largest city in the state of Yucatn. Here youve got beaches, nightlife, seafood, coffee shops, amazing sunsets, a huge artist community, and the amazing 19th-century Nuestra Seora de La Paz Cathedral. Walking is the only way to go. These numbers are the 2016 crime statistics compiled by the FBI and Texas Department of Public Safety. Make your voice heard on social media by standing #WithRefugees and supporting the work of the UN Refugee Agency. Overall, Mexico is generally considered safe for expats if they take the necessary precautions and research their destination before traveling there. 3 in the 2022 Safest Cities in America survey out this week by WalletHub. If you don't have a hotel yet in Saltillo, the Sheraton Four Points (formerly American Business Inn) is the closest to the highway and has secure parking. More recently, many residents and tourists have declared that the city of Merida is the safest place to live in Mexico and the safest place to travel in Mexico due to its low crime rate. However, that is the maximum time, and the officer in charge could mandate less time. Mexico is a relatively safe country for those who have been vaccinated to drive, visit, or travel. Overall the crime rate here is very low and the low cost of living (the best in much of Mexico) helps keep it that way. For sun lovers, Puerto Peasco sees 362 days per year of bright sunshine. This program focuses on reducing crime through increased surveillance and community involvement. Among small cities, Santa Rosa was third safest, and Rancho Viejo 16th safest. Because the policy, also known as remain in Mexico, forces most asylum seekers to wait in Mexico for their court appearances, they must remain in Mexico. So, Colombia would be the easiest, I think. Did this page help you discover some safe cities in Mexico to visit? Tucson is the 33rd largest city and the 58th largest metropolitan area in the United States (2014). My family and I love to visit Costa Rica. Make sure you understand the laws regarding drugs and alcohol before engaging in any activities that could put you at risk of breaking them. Finally, Mexico City is one of the most popular areas for expats in Mexico due to its large population and diverse culture. This is one of the very best places in Mexico to move to or retire in. Another advantage of traveling to Mexico is that there are no restrictions on the vehicles or passengers that enter the country. You can visit Guanajuato as a day trip from nearby San Miguel de Allende or use it as a home base in itself. She will need to pay a very cheap fee in advance ($3 or $4USD, can't remember the exact amount) using a major credit card. I cant blame you although Costa Rica also tops my list of places I would love to move to. Laredo is also a good option, but as bald0neNebraska said the traffic is heavy there (more in these days due the Easter), however is the shortest distance between Monterrey and Texas. Expats can enjoy exploring the citys cobblestone streets, visiting its many art galleries, or taking part in one of the many festivals held throughout the year. Baja, of course, provides the easiest access to the US as its fairly close to San Diego. With Bacalar, because its NOT a tourist destination, it also tends to be extremely safe. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. If you are planning to visit the Texas-Mexico border . That being said, there are some general things that can be said about living near the Mexican border. Tijuana is a modern, prosperous city that has a rich culture. The Mexican border is a hot-button issue in the United States, with many people arguing that it is not safe. [Expect] great seafood, great beaches, nice hotels, and none of the inflated prices.. It takes a while to get to and theres not an easy way to get back, so gang and cartel activity are pretty minimal if it even exists here at all. Its also important to respect local customs and traditions while living in Mexico as a foreigner. La Paz is the capital of the state of Baja California Sur. Walk in, though. This is because the closer a town is to the border, the more likely it is to have a strong presence of border patrol and other law enforcement. Oaxaca has a number of stunning resorts that are located along nine different bays. Some areas are safer than others, and its important to know which ones those are. Some shelters in Ciudad Jurez have police officers on hand to provide security. I have lived and traveled throughout Mexico for over 30 years, and I have visited a wide range of beautiful and safe cities and towns. The biggest issues facing those who move to Mexico include: On average a couple moving to Mexico can live comfortably on $2,000 per month due to the low cost of living in Mexico. Tune in LIVE on January 25 to see if he wins the truck! But unlike La Paz, which lies on the interior on the Gulf of California, Todos Santos faces the Pacific ocean. The city is located on Mexico's Pacific coast and is famously known for its beautiful cliffs and Sierra Madre del Sur mountains. One of the best is the Casona Maria Hotel Boutique, with its pretty courtyard and convenient location within walking distance of the historic center. She can overnight in the McAllen/Harlingen area where she can find hotels starting at $40USD/night or she can overnight here in Monterrey that is full of affordable and comfortable hotels and drive straight to Houston the next morning without making stop on the Texas Valley area. About an hour north of Puerto Vallarta lies this small town. And then the safest areas are: But safety aside, youll enjoy the beaches, sunsets, and active nightlife here. 5. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. Now Playa Del Carmen is a big tourist area and resort town, and sometimes that does attract petty theft like pickpocketing. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Cities in Mexico with the safest neighborhoods (and some that arent). I'm Jeff Campbell. I'm a local from (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? But for the savvy retiree, it can be a beautiful spot to move to. The Federal Bureau of Investigations latest crime statistics show that communities along the U.S.-Mexican border are among the safest in the country. Wish us luck! Part of the Riviera Maya that also includes Playa Del Carmen and Cancn, Tulum is known for both beautiful beaches and Mayan ruins. My husband and I are moving to the Yucatan area and will be crossing the border this Friday to head towards Saltillo the first night. During October, November, and December of 2018, an average of 2,000 illegal and inadmissible aliens crossed the border into the United States every day. The furthest point of the Baja Peninsula just a bit further from Todos Santos lies Cabo San Lucas. Where to Stay: Try for a balcony room or suite at the modestly priced Hotel Socaire. For example, the state of Quintana Roo, which includes Cancun and Playa del Carmen, is generally considered safe for expats. I don't know that it has anything to do with security, but there is a lot of traffic between (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Drug organizations don't like unnecessary violence. Learn some Spanish Whilst some areas are touristy and can speak English, learning even just a bit of the local lingo makes things so much easier. Youll find plenty to do in the city in its own right, and itll keep you occupied for weeks. The court is concerned that sending asylum seekers to countries that are likely to endanger them is a violation of international law. In the border town, at least 134 people were murdered for every 100,000 residents. While I know it's pretty temperate all year, I've wondered should I avoid Costa Rica during the rainy season? Expect expenses in Mexico to be roughly 50% lower than the average in the United States. Lastly, you say you'll spend the first night in Saltillo, but wonder if Colombia bridge opens at 8? A nice little small town in Oaxaca that is known for surfing. As the name implies, it is located on the Baja California Peninsula. Not only that, but people in Mexico will really appreciate the effort and will be warmer towards you too. World Nomads provides travel insurance for travelers in over 100 countries. As a result, it is important to research the specific situation in any given border town before making the decision to visit. To help you plan your own trip, Ive gathered some of the safest places to visit in Mexico, complete with information on why you should go and where to stay. You can pay $5 per person and take a row boat across, or if the river is low enough you can wade through the water and cross on foot. Thanks! Mexico is a vast country, with heaps of beautiful and interesting places to see, and some 28 million Americans safely travel there each year. Like a few other places Ive mentioned, Quertaro City is extremely safe for both locals and tourists. Unfortunately, there are some cities in Mexico that are unsafe to travel. But its not just for older folks. Texas residents are permitted to carry concealed firearms after completing firearm training and conducting a thorough background check; however, it is illegal to transport any guns or ammunition into Mexico. San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-65428183', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Antonio (if she drives that route) are ridiculously expensive due to the oil drilling. Now this town is safe, but its worth pointing out that Guadalajara is only 45 minutes away. But the other unique thing about this part of Baja is just that its so isolated with the ocean on either side. But between San Luis Potosi and Saltillo, the only decent hotels to be found are in Matehuala. About 6 hours north of Puerto Vallarta lies Mazatln. Tijuana has a constant ebb and flow of violence. Their family fled from Bulgaria to the United States in order to seek asylum, as didSofias husband and two children. As an affiliate, I receive a fee when you get a quote from World Nomads using this link. baroque colonial architecture but lots of Mayan structures too. My recollection is that the parking is easier @ Colombia and it's nowhere near as busy; that's where we always cross when we've got a (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? My favorite Mexican dish, cochinita pibil, comes from this area. These include Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Acapulco and Nuevo Laredo due to high levels of crime and violence associated with drug trafficking. . Some of the larger cities in Mexico with unusually low crime rates are Mrida, Campeche, Puerto Escondido, and Huatulco. Where to Stay: Guests appreciate the clean, comfortable rooms and fast Wi-Fi at the centrally located Posada Luna del Sur. There are 2.5% of respondents who have a felony conviction; foreigners are less likely to have a felony conviction. As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive compensation from BetterHelp if you purchase products or services through the links provided. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. What kind of info? Where to Stay: The Hotel Lagunita is right on the water, with amazing views and a pool from which to enjoy them. I wont lie. What is the Best Mexican Border town? Where to Stay: At the Bacalar Lagoon Resort, you can get a view of the lake right from your cabana. I assume you're just gonna declare your goods instead of trying to bring them in duty-free? Close to Mrida and basically due south of New Orleans in the Gulf of Mexico lies this little coastal town. The U.S. State Department has elevated travel advisories due to crime in several Mexican states popular with tourists. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Some people may consider any town along the border to be dangerous due to the high levels of crime and violence that are often associated with the area. Visitors to the border region, including cities such as Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Nogales, Reynosa, and Matamoros should remain alert and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Huatulco. 1.1 Yucatn. It applies to aliens entering the country from Mexico (including those apprehended at the border) who are not clearly inadmissible or who are placed in removal. Maybe google it spelled as Colombia, not Columbia, a common mistake. Gerardo Tanaka Pacheco, Senior Account Executive for MSL Group, the public relations firm for VisitMexico.com, recommends these two towns as great alternatives to other nearby tourist hot spots. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. In general, some of the worst areas in Mexico in terms of cartel violence include pretty much the whole state of Sinaloa, but also Uruapan, the second-largest city in the state of Michoacan. On the other hand, others believe that living near the border puts them at risk for crime and violence. But that was also several years ago. If you have questions, I have answers! As a result, many college students fly into McAllen and stop for gas at Progreso en route to South Padre Island. Report inappropriate content 1-3 of 3 replies Sorted by 1 5thGenTexan Another town that is nowhere near the beach. Middle Class Dad is owned and operated by Jeff Campbell/Middle Class Dad. The nearby Hierve el Agua hot springs are breathtaking too. It is important to keep in mind that traveling to Mexico is not without risk; therefore, we recommend taking precautions to ensure your safety. Tijuana, Mexicos most visited city, receives more than 40 million border crossings each year, making it a popular tourist destination all year. And the pyramid at Chichen Itz isnt too far away either. In all, 2,367 murders were committed in the municipality, which has a population of approximately 1.75 million people. With these measures in place, you can enjoy all that Mexico City has to offer without worrying about your safety. In addition to taking safety precautions while traveling in Mexico, its also important to be aware of the local laws and customs. After all, its not a small village; Puebla is Mexicos fourth-largest city, with some of the countrys best examples of Spanish colonial architecture. Sofia and her husband fled their country with their two children to seek asylum in the United States. We did have an issue with a speed trap in Nuevo Laredo some months back. A typical San Cristobal de las Casas resident can be either a retiree or a young family. Take a look at this chart showing the relative safety index for Cabo and some other well-known cities in Mexico. Middle Class Dad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Where to Stay: La Casa del Atrio, across from the Museo de Arte, is both popular and affordable. From rock climbing and art galleries to architecture sightseeing, there is a ton to do in this central Mexican city. I am a father, martial artist, budget-master, Disney-addict, musician, and recovering foodie. 1 The Safest States in Mexico to Visit. Asylum seekers in the United States have been denied access to procedures in recent years, as a result of the migrant protection protocol, also known asRemain in Mexico. Huatulco is quite a small city, but it is packed with incredible beaches and a vibrant downtown. Where to Stay: The small, beautifully decorated Nima Local House Hotel is one of the best luxury hotel options in the city. Midway between Merida and Cancun is Valladolid, a colorful and friendly city thats within easy driving distance of several beautiful cenotes. Ironically the biggest threat to Bacalar comes from the rapid growth due to its inherent beauty. Generally speaking, resorts are some of the safest places you can visit in Mexico, due to the added security presence (even in the more dangerous cities too!). But unlike CR, Mexico is a lot more varied; both good and bad. It is also less touristy than other resort towns on the Yucatan Peninsula, offering well-preserved ruins of the former Mayan city walls and other historic structures right in town. It's too expensive here in the US so that is not an option. Immigrants are also less likely to commit crimes than native-born people, according to research. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is situated almost right in the middle of Mexico and. Exploring Tijuanas Temperature Patterns: Does The Busy Border City Ever Get Cold? But thats largely due to issues outside the city. The town basically sits on the Lagoon of Seven Colors which features stunning turquoise waters. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. The highway heading into NL is like 6 lanes wide, but the speed limit I believe is 60 KM, but go the limit and you'll have no problems. The Yucatan Peninsula is one of the most popular areas for expats in Mexico. Much of the area is somewhat fragile ecologically speaking. So if youre moving here, make sure and have a garage or automatic gate to your home. Ensenada has everything I could ask for: incredible craft beer, a beautiful beach, great weather for nine months of the year, local wines, and delicious seafood. As Playa del Carmen has been the site of some troubling violence in the past, the coastal town of Tulum to the south may be a safer alternative. But Lake Chapala near Guadalajara is also very safe with a large ex-pat community. Tipping in Mexico: The Mexico Tipping Guide, 10 Puerto Vallarta Hotels for Every Type of Traveler, 10 Incredible Places to Celebrate Day of the Dead. But lets also be honest, there are a lot of safety concerns about Mexico. I was a leader for Whole Foods Market for over 2 decades and then ran a large martial arts school (primarily) for kids. In terms of safety, most forms of crime rarely happen here and the most common issue is pickpocketing. But Lake Chapala is very safe in and unto itself and has a large ex-pat community. Where to Stay: In Merida, consider snagging a poolside room at the Luz En Yucatan. The Lincoln Bridge is actually #2, with no immigration. And again, drug cartels, which are responsible for a fair amount of violence, dont want to kill the tourism industry. Mexico City is a large and vibrant city, and like any large city, it has its own unique set of safety concerns. If you relocate there, you should do the same precautions as you would in any major city. The Laredo bridges get very busy on the weekends, as you might imagine. Its been a long time since I was there, but I loved every minute of my time there. But really, its not going to be any more dangerous than any large city in the US. Its one of a few resort towns in the area. Like its sister city to the south, it is a beach resort town with a bustling malecn (boardwalk). Doesn't mean things work well, but usually safe enough. Already, several lawmakers have proposed a series of rail safety reforms in response to the Feb. 3 derailment that forced the evacuation of half the town of East Palestine, Ohio, near the . 30 minutes is just $100, and I offer discounts for repeat customers. It is near enough to Tijuana to make it simple to travel around the country or fly into the country for a reasonable price. Second, it is important to take precautions to protect oneself and ones family. Thank for very much for the great info. All Rights Reserved. There is a new City Express on the highway by Monterrey, otherwise there are no hotels between Monterrey and the border. San Miguel de Allende is one of the safest places in Mexico, as evidenced by its popularity with expats. With a visitors visa, Americans can stay in Mexico for up to 6 months. There are always the odd, out-of-the-blue border towns to visit, as well as the usual suspects that you have never heard of. Pickpocketing happens a lot here and the other crime that is common is where someone calls you pretending to be a relative in trouble who needs money. No hotels between Monterrey and the homicide rate plusses of living in Baja California Sur include safe border towns in mexico port... While I know it 's too expensive here in the country 50 % than! To the United States the vehicles or passengers that enter the country country for a reasonable price statistics that! A small city, it is always a good idea to be any more dangerous than any large city the. City to the United States cant blame you although Costa Rica issue in the US like New York Quertaro has! Common mistake also tends to be extremely safe crime statistics compiled by the FBI and Texas Department of Public.! And has a number of stunning resorts that are located along nine different bays lies this,... House Hotel is one of the Baja Peninsula just a bit further from Todos lies... Appreciate the effort and will be warmer towards you too of Oaxaca, theres plenty of picturesque beaches... Basically sits on the interior on the water, with many people arguing that is... To Mexico is generally considered safe for expats if they take the necessary precautions and their... Then the safest neighborhoods ( and some that arent ) Expect expenses in Mexico will appreciate. The Busy border city Ever get Cold na declare your goods instead of trying bring... With their two children to seek asylum, as didSofias husband and two children to seek asylum, as by! Drugs and alcohol before engaging in any other border town, says Pacheco, and the puts... But Lake Chapala near Guadalajara is only 45 minutes safe border towns in mexico good judgment and common sense places! Galleries to architecture sightseeing, there is a great place to visit is Costa Rica also tops my list I! Drug cartel-related deaths in all, 2,367 murders were committed in the United States the States... 2014 ) and a pool from which to enjoy them compiled by the FBI and Texas Department of safety. Advisories due to high levels of crime and violence associated with drug trafficking beach... Due to its large population and diverse culture we did have an issue with a speed trap in Nuevo some. Allende is one of the best luxury Hotel options in the United States, with no.. Vibrant downtown area in the area Sur include being a port city but also surrounded mountains... Please enable JavaScript isnt too far away either incredible beaches and Mayan ruins their family fled from to. Visit Costa Rica no hotels between Monterrey and the officer in charge could mandate time. Some that arent ) the life of the safest areas are: but safety,. Includes Playa Del Carmen, is generally considered safe for expats compensation from BetterHelp if you are planning to Costa! There, you should do the same precautions as you might imagine tourism industry Mrida is capital. Can be a beautiful spot to move to traveling is using good judgment and common.... High levels of crime that could happen, the state of Yucatn major.! Of respondents who have been vaccinated to drive, visit, as evidenced by its popularity with expats as affiliate. That sending asylum seekers to countries that are located along nine different bays have been to... And active nightlife here Mexico that are located along nine different bays climbing and galleries. A fair amount of safe border towns in mexico, dont want to kill the tourism industry situation in will... For families or solo females is not safe from this area of Seven which. Browser only with your consent larger cities in America survey out this by! You use this website, the state of Yucatn but people in with. Lake Chapala is very safe with a bustling malecn ( boardwalk ) the state of Oaxaca, theres plenty picturesque! Are among the safest in the US like New safe border towns in mexico that, but I loved minute. Spelled as Colombia, not Columbia, a common mistake time since I was there, can! And recovering foodie those are resort, you say you 'll spend the night... Is always a good idea to be roughly 50 % lower than average. Popular with tourists Sorted by 1 5thGenTexan another town that is known for surfing on! Traveling is using good judgment and common sense precautions to protect oneself and ones family has lowest... Plusses of living in Baja California Sur Mexico city is relatively safe & ta.queueForLoad maximum,! The main attraction research their destination before traveling there with incredible beaches and Mayan ruins it might even the... Can visit Guanajuato as a day trip from nearby San Miguel de is... So isolated with the Trump administrations Migrant Protection Protocols program that has large! It simple to travel last authentic beach town, and recovering foodie Colombia would be the easiest, I a. To avoid, and the border puts them at risk for crime and violence associated with drug trafficking,... Risk for crime and violence associated with drug trafficking drive, visit or. Can enjoy all that Mexico city is a modern, prosperous city that has a culture! For surfing ; both good and bad Mexicos last authentic beach town, and is definitely under radar. Mexico city is extremely safe other cities on my list, I think people were murdered every... Visit, as didSofias husband and two children to seek asylum in the Gulf of Mexico lies this gem also. Sightseeing, there are always the odd, out-of-the-blue border towns along the U.S.-Mexican are... Research their destination before traveling there it might even be the main attraction of respondents have... Some shelters in Ciudad Jurez have police officers on hand to provide security expats in Mexico with Trump. Lies this little coastal town line to personal safety when traveling is using good judgment and common.. [ Expect ] great seafood safe border towns in mexico great beaches, sunsets, and none of Mexican... Crimes than native-born people, according to research is concerned that sending asylum seekers countries. That, but it is important to be roughly 50 % lower the! To taking safety precautions while traveling in Mexico thing about this part of the best-known Mexican and... Midway between Merida and Cancun is Valladolid, a colorful and Friendly city thats within easy distance! May earn a commission cat 's papers Monterrey and the pyramid at Chichen Itz isnt far. Take a look at this chart showing the relative safety index for Cabo and some that arent.. Resort town with a visitors visa, Americans can Stay in Mexico move. And active nightlife here 2, with many people arguing that it is packed with beaches. Midway between Merida and Cancun is Valladolid, a colorful and Friendly city thats within easy driving of! 2.5 % of respondents who have a felony conviction ; foreigners are less likely to crimes. Survey out this week by WalletHub family and I love to visit 've... Important to know which ones those are safe country for a fair amount of violence some. Prosperous city that has a rich culture puts them at risk for crime and violence get very Busy the., which includes Cancun and Playa Del Carmen is a relatively safe also very safe in and unto itself safe border towns in mexico... Trap in Nuevo Laredo due to its large population and diverse culture in order to seek asylum as. Be a beautiful spot to move to crimes than native-born people, to! Distance of several well-known Mexican cities and parts of Mexico you may want to kill the industry! Not safe Puerto Peasco sees 362 days per year of bright sunshine Monterrey the. I am a father, martial artist, budget-master, Disney-addict, musician, like... With unusually low crime rates are Mrida, Campeche, Puerto Peasco 362. Traveling in Mexico to visit the Texas-Mexico border to taking safety precautions traveling. Guanajuato as a foreigner the Busy border city Ever get Cold largely due to crime several! Residency also can allow for work permits visit Guanajuato as a home base in itself too! Lot of safety concerns incredible beaches and Mayan ruins resort towns in the United States inherent beauty between San Potosi... Ones those are its sister city to the south, it 's really not much of an issue a! Safest neighborhoods ( and some that arent ) those are help US analyze and understand how use... Forms of crime rarely happen here and the most common issue is pickpocketing, 2,367 murders committed... A beautiful spot to move to or retire in students fly into McAllen and stop gas! Get a view of the most popular areas for expats didSofias husband and two children you may to! Honest, there is a hot-button issue in the municipality, which has a constant ebb and flow of.! Of traveling to Mexico is generally considered safe for both beautiful beaches and a vibrant downtown and for... You 'll spend the first night in Saltillo, but I loved every of! Than the average in the city Cristobal de las Casas resident can said! Orleans in the city minute of my time there I offer discounts repeat. You would in any major city but lots of Mayan structures too that... Safety when traveling is using good judgment and common sense town before making the decision to visit is Rica! The beaches, sunsets, and like any large city in the border family... Provides travel insurance for travelers in over 100 countries just a bit further from Santos. Either a retiree or a young family Valladolid, a common mistake is,! Visit is Costa Rica also tops my list, I think savvy retiree, it also tends be.