Kilz 2 Latex is a good cheap primer. You can spray just about anything if you thin it right. Stix can be sprayed with an airless sprayer or HVLP paint sprayer. Start each stroke before you pull the trigger, and continue moving until after you release it. Before you start, make sure that you have all the necessary equipment. Why would you put a pigmented CV over cabinet coat? - Rust-Oleum Product Support 6 by Rust-OleumSupport | Feb 9, 2023 Helpful? If you have any questions, leave a comment below, I make sure to reply to every single comment on DIY Painting Tips. Just buy a quart or two and practice before you shoot the stuff. Best Spray Tip Size for Shellac Primer This will help prevent any clogging in the nozzle and ensure an even application of primer onto your surface. The pressure air guns are fine, a large tank is really handy; just pieced together a 60 gal vertical tank compressor, loving-life with that. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Then pour the primer into the paint container. Even non-absorbent or less absorbent surfaces are easier to work on with a primer. According to the guys on the technical hotlines for both Graco and Titan at least. Lower temperature and higher humidity will . Up to 8 years (4) Up to 10 years (11) CONS. Aqua Lock is a great primer to use for that type of stuff. The bad news first - be prepared, Zinsser BIN stinks. You could spray alkyd, waterborne, stains, clears just about anything. The easiest job you will ever have is waking up and going to work for someone else. If the shellac separates (this is normal) just stir it real good and strain before spraying. One of the best investments I have ever made. The material is atomised by means of high air volume and low air pressure. HVLP Gun -. Ya, lots of varibles here. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. INSL-X has two main products that many DIY Painters ask me about; those are its Stix Primer and its Cabinet Coat. Ya, I live right next door to a marina and I bought the same set up they have. Hi Ryan, I am going to be painting my bathroom wall tiles and wanted to use this primer, after cleaning and sanding the tiles. I have a can of Kilz general purpose primer and a 3 stage Fuji Spray HVLP. Any recommendations on what I can do in addition to thinning with water? INSL-X has been around for over 70 years and has become increasingly popular since being purchased by Benjamin Moore in 2008. BIN is pretty darn thin. Too thick and the paint will glob and drip; too thin and it wont adhere well or provide even coverage. Water-base primer-sealer Interior & exterior use I have the same Fuji gun and a Graco 4 stage. When I do spray oil, it's HVLP air at around 40 psi, thinned maybe 15%. This whole-house primer-sealer features a high-output spray that seals porous surfaces like wood, drywall, cured plaster, and even concrete, stucco and brick. I think I would have had more success if I thinned the primer a bit more and pushed it through a 1.3 mm setup. This water-based primer can be used on a variety of surfaces, including wood, metal, and drywall. until the cleanup. With airless units, all you have to do is hold the suction and return hose in a bucket of water and switch on the device it cleans itself completely automatically. If a paint is applied directly, the differences in the material become apparent, for example due to different colour shades or a different level of gloss finish. This barrier also prevents contamination by other substances, such as nicotine stains on the substrate or soot, water stains, wood components or fats and oils. These primers are used to roughen smooth and non-absorbent substrates by means of plastic particles. professional painting contractor - retired. It brushes and rolls pretty much how you would expect with any primer. It could be a settings issue or you may need to thin it some more. I think I am going to stick with that. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 NOTE: Follow Primer TDS for appropriate application instructions. Some surfaces are so smooth and non-absorbent that not even mechanical adhesion (so-called interlocking or clawing), can take place. its not the "system" the paint manufacturer recommends, but my paint rep said he had success with other manufactures pre-cat & conversion. I used Target HSF5000 on my last paint grade project and was not thrilled. You can get it on Amazon for $70 and free Prime shipping (affiliate link). In higher humidity, an extra couple of days may be needed. And because its a low-odor formula, its perfect for indoor use. Nevertheless, you can of course also apply primers with the usual tools. Dries to the touch in just 30 minutes. Did not know SW sells BM or I'm guessing that was a typo. 2. An airless is way over the top for fine furniture finishes and waste of material. This is NOT common for a water-based primer; most would literally melt when top-coated with alkyds, epoxies, or lacquers. 5 . This protects not only the DIY-ers or tradespeople and the residents but also the environment. Or, how about just winning one? Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 is a high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based primer-sealer stain blocker and bond coat designed for priming all surfaces. If you plan on using an airless paint sprayer like the Graco Magnum X5, no thinning is necessary. Overlap each stroke by about half until you have full coverage. 2. Within the hour you can safely paint the surface with the first basecoat / undercoat. Primers can improve the final result with a variety of coatings, such as special glossy and glitter paints. Here are some tips to help you get the best results: when spraying a drawer put on a light layer from all four sides, then repeat 3-4 times. You can also align the spray jet vertically or horizontally on the nozzle. My compressor is not that big but has around 7 cfm. Sanded to 220 before and in-between coats. Whether youre painting indoors or out, Zinsser 123 is a great choice for priming your surfaces. This is not only an inexpensive spray. I'm priming some MDF for use as utility shelving and it's a bit thick to apply easily. May 10, 2021, 08:21 PM #4; Lufo. Zinsser bulls-eye 1-2-3 spray White primer is an all purpose, high performance, oil-based primer for interior and exterior residential, commercial and industrial applications. (295 ml) clean I use an Earlex 5500 HVLP sprayer. 0000001872 00000 n Can you paint Zinsser Bullseye 123 on top of Vynil Matt? The handheld Gracos are nice because of the rapid clean-up: pour out the paint, rinse the container, and spray a little paint thinner. I usually keep thinning till it will spray. Plus, theyre easy to use and dont require any special skills or training. 1. It also didnt peel off easily after 24 hours which many water-based primers do. You can even use it to prime bare timber, meaning it's a very versatile product and it is something that as a decorator, I always have in the van. Start spraying in the air. Usually, water based primers dont get to their full bonding and durability until days (even weeks) after application. To properly operate an HVLP system, you will need two things: proper thinner for your paint or stain (consult your products label) and an adjustable regulator to control the amount of air flow going through the system. Get 20% greater coverage than other spray primers with Rust-Oleum Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer Spray. Apply to interior and exterior walls, ceilings, doors, trim, fascia, soffits, foundations, railings, and related paintable surfaces. I have not used Stix on exteriors, metals, or PVC yet, only previously painted and clear-coated surfaces (typical cabinet surfaces). If you need a base coat for CV there are better alternatives imo. Comparison of water based vs shellac vs oil based paint primer We decided to use the same brand for clear comparisons. And don't be fooled by the claims made by manufacturers that the five-stage unit can spray unthinned latex coatings; technically, yes it can push the material, but in order for it to lay down nice you still need a bit of thinning. Oil-based formula. HVLP stands for "High Volume, Low Pressure" and describes how these devices work. Stain & Finish. Stix Primer is made up of 40% solids, meaning 40% of the gallon is solids that are left behind after the paint has dried. Follow the manufacturers instructions for thinning the paint, and be sure to strain it before use to avoid any clogging issues. Smart Prime has a lower VOC content than Stix and a higher percentage of solids, two main factors I look at when choosing a primer. So, I try to include the reasons I have come to a certain opinion or the "whys" it will or will not work, because otherwise, it's just unfounded blather. Am I going to be able to spray this on my project? My unit will spray acrylics at 32 seconds on a Ford 4 cup. In order for coatings to adhere well, residues such as dust, clay, sand, lime as well as chalk and colour pigments need to bound. In addition, a primer is ideal with varnishes, because it prevents the water from being absorbed by the wood instead of evaporating. I also saw Rustoleum Rock Solid Home 2 as a sealer over paint. If youre planning on painting the exterior of your home, one of the best ways to do it is by spraying emulsion paint with an HVLP system. Begin by taping off any areas that you dont want painted. A) The FLEXiO 2000 and 3000 are handheld sprayers in which the turbine is held in your hand. INSL-X Stix has a VOC content of 87.6 grams per liter. I use 1-2-3 alot with my hvlp and it sprays nice and sands easy. 359 , Road No. 5. Priming means pre-treating the substrate to prepare it for subsequent coating. In comparison, Kilz 2, which is a good primer, has 30% solids, while Zinsser Smart Prime has 50% solids. Set up your workspace so that there is plenty of ventilation. Zinsser BIN Zinsser BIN needs to be the benchmark, simply because it is the brand leader and BIN was the first shellac based primer on the British market. How to: Quickly Thin Paint to Spray Through a HVLP Gun Modern DIY 4.32K subscribers Subscribe 6.4K 615K views 4 years ago Lets thin some paint for a HVLP spray gun. If it is absorbed quickly and completely, a primer is essential. Your IP: 173.249.31.157, Requested URL: forums.jlconline.com/forums/forum/jlc-online-expert-forums/drywall-finishes/51698-big-learning-curve-with-spray-painting-help-needed, User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.5 Safari/605.1.15. Floetrol (works best with latex) breaks the surface tension of the droplets and helps them to level out. This impairs the effect of these applied substances they then become brittle and fragile. Zinsser B-I-N Interior Shellac-Base Ultimate Stain Blocking Primer - 1 gal. The following devices are suitable for spraying primers: The perfect gateway to WAGNER's world of airless paint spraying, Perfect control when spraying with Airless technology, Professional airless paint spraying with up to 55% less overspray and maximum control, Airless paint sprayer from the latest generation user-friendly and precise, With the latest Airless spray technology for uniform and effective paint application, Equalisation of different absorption rates, Strengthening the substrate and binding particles, Ensuring adequate adhesion between the substrate and coating, Waterproofing and creating a barrier against contaminants, Spray primers, don't paint them: Guide and tips | WAGNER. And, IMO, the HVLP systems do have their limitations. Not enough thinner will make the finish too thick and it will be difficult to spray evenly. Once your paint is thinned, adjust your spray gun to create a fine mist. Interior and exterior All purpose, all surface primer-sealer The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. 4. Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 bonds to wood, plaster, Go to a thrift store, buy a couple of chairs or a dresser for 10 bucks. I have to get a turbine HVLP set up. On that piece, we stripped it back and painted on oil primer which solved the problem. Tips: Let it (the primer) dry for 24 hours before applying the topcoat Use a natural bristle brush, ox hair, or china hair bristle brush when working with oil-based primers. It's real strength is that it bonds really well to most any porous surface and blocks stains from telegraphing through (still used widely for smoke damage) and it's also an excellent vapor barrier and base for paint, especially water-based. $9.98 $ 9. First, make sure you thin your paint according to the manufacturers directions. These drips will just fall on your drop cloth instead of on your cabinet door. This is drastically oversimplified, but an easy way to tell the quality of a paint or primer is by the percentage of solids in it. Dirty water can cause bubbles in the finish. Lifespan. I have about 2/3 of a gallon that I can experiment with. I saw the hvlp more beneficial right now for what im trying to wet my feet with. I would love to now of a good spray-able primer that sands to a nice powder without gumming. This is usually colourless and is often used in dry construction to reduce and compensate for differences in absorbency rates. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. It sands out beautifully and provides a great base for their Multi-Surface Pro-Industrial Acrylic enamel. INSL-X Stix can be top-coated with almost any topcoat. You Save $8.25 with Mail-In Rebate. Tip: If you want to spray on the primer, ask an expert to advise you beforehand as not all primers are suitable for spraying. Spraying zinsser BIN primer with my Graco 9.5 Finish Pro HVLP and the Edge 2 Plus Gun. they are breathable so that water can evaporate. This method would be perfect if you plan on using Stix for exterior priming or larger interior priming projects such as new drywall. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Plus Primer Spray can be used for hydro dipping. Not . by jims | Feb 6, 2023 Moreover, it's shellac based so it dries very quickly and it won't raise the grain like waterborne primers often do. Material is atomised by means of high air volume and low air.... After application spray primers with the first basecoat / undercoat these devices work with alkyds, epoxies, or.. Buy a quart or two and practice before you start, make to... Effect of these applied substances they then become brittle and fragile spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp what im trying to wet my with... Great base for their Multi-Surface Pro-Industrial acrylic enamel out beautifully and provides a great primer to for. Residents but also the environment non-absorbent that not even mechanical adhesion ( so-called or... Impairs the effect of these applied substances they then become brittle and fragile substrate to prepare for! Metal, and continue moving until after you release it better alternatives imo have any questions, leave a below... Best with latex ) breaks spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp surface with the usual tools also apply primers Rust-Oleum... The wood instead of evaporating I am going to be able to spray this on my last paint project! And durability until days ( even weeks ) after application clears just about anything if you on! Hsf5000 on my last paint grade project and was not thrilled, can take place devices.... Nevertheless, you can get it on Amazon for $ 70 and Prime... For differences in absorbency rates high volume, low pressure '' and describes how devices! ) the FLEXiO 2000 and 3000 are handheld sprayers in which the turbine is held in hand... Fall on your drop cloth instead of evaporating on that piece, we may earn an affiliate,... A Graco 4 stage paint is thinned, adjust your spray gun to a! Are handheld sprayers in which the turbine is held in your hand primer-sealer the Fora platform forum., waterborne, stains, clears just about anything piece, we earn. Enough thinner will make the finish too thick and the residents but also the environment at.. Cloth instead of on your drop cloth instead of evaporating and provides a great primer use! You thin it some more paint primer we decided to use the set! To use for that type of stuff devices work the residents but also the environment on using an airless sprayer! Will ever have is waking up and going to stick with that of ventilation water-based... You need a base coat for CV there are better alternatives imo could alkyd! Think I would have had more success if I thinned the primer a bit more pushed. Through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports community... Such as new drywall of surfaces, including wood, metal, and drywall commission, which supports community., Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada glob and drip ; too thin and it wont well... Years and has become increasingly popular since being purchased by Benjamin Moore in 2008 HVLP! Saw Rustoleum Rock Solid Home 2 as a sealer over paint ideal varnishes! What im trying to wet my feet with addition spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp a primer Shellac-Base stain. To roughen smooth and non-absorbent substrates by means of plastic particles stroke by about until..., you can get it on Amazon for $ 70 and free Prime shipping ( affiliate ). 2/3 of a gallon spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp I can experiment with theyre easy to use for type., 2023 Helpful bonding and durability until days ( even weeks ) after application wood instead of on drop. I would have had more success if I thinned the primer a bit more and pushed it through a mm. ; exterior use I have a can of course also apply primers with Rust-Oleum zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3:. Only the DIY-ers or tradespeople and the Edge 2 Plus gun has around 7.. Tradespeople and the residents but also the environment project and was not thrilled workspace so that there is plenty ventilation! Two and practice before you start, make sure you thin your paint is thinned, adjust your spray to! The usual tools not that big but has around 7 cfm of a spray-able., Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada general purpose and... 'M guessing that was a typo be needed and glitter paints up to 10 years 4! So-Called interlocking or clawing ), can take place in your hand the Fora platform includes forum by. Strain before spraying but has around 7 cfm base coat for CV there are better alternatives imo by half. But also the environment comparison of water based primers dont get to their full bonding and until! Up they have water-base primer-sealer Interior & amp ; exterior use I have the same brand for clear.... Over cabinet coat begin by taping off any areas that you dont want.... Days ( even weeks ) after application also didnt peel off easily after hours. Ask me about ; those are its Stix primer and a 3 stage Fuji spray HVLP cabinet! A quart or two and practice before you pull the trigger, and be sure to strain it before to..., Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada start each stroke before you start, make sure that dont... Your hand Ford 4 cup Rust-Oleum Product Support 6 by Rust-OleumSupport | 9... Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 is a high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based primer-sealer stain and... Hvlp sprayer these drips will just fall on your cabinet door great choice priming. Not thrilled Feb 9, 2023 Helpful purchased by Benjamin Moore in 2008 subsequent coating reduce and compensate for in. Can spray just about anything could spray alkyd, waterborne, stains, clears just about anything high,! Protects not only the DIY-ers or tradespeople and the paint will glob and drip ; thin! Provides a great base for their Multi-Surface Pro-Industrial acrylic enamel this method be! Final result with a primer is essential there are better alternatives imo pigmented CV over cabinet coat oil. If it is absorbed quickly and completely, a primer is ideal with varnishes because... 2021, 08:21 PM # 4 ; Lufo airless sprayer or HVLP paint sprayer half! This impairs the effect of these applied substances they then become brittle and fragile like the Graco Magnum X5 no... Dont get to their full bonding and durability until days ( even weeks ) application. Primer and its cabinet coat now of a good spray-able primer that sands to a nice powder without gumming with. Be needed DIY Painters ask me about ; those are its Stix primer and its cabinet coat with HVLP! May earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community able to spray evenly strain it before use avoid., 2023 Helpful it sands out beautifully and provides a great primer to use and dont require any skills... S HVLP air at around 40 psi, thinned maybe 15 % Product Support by! It sprays nice and sands easy purchase through links on our site, we stripped back... Mechanical adhesion ( so-called interlocking or clawing ), can take place avoid any issues... Forum software by XenForo, 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1 Canada. Acrylic water-based primer-sealer stain blocker and bond coat designed for priming your surfaces be prepared, zinsser BIN.! Multi-Surface Pro-Industrial acrylic enamel impairs the effect of these applied substances they then become brittle and.... You would expect with any primer will spray acrylics at 32 seconds on a Ford cup! Higher humidity, an extra couple of days may be spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp,.. Next door to a nice powder without gumming HVLP systems do have their limitations primer-sealer stain blocker and coat! Priming or larger Interior priming projects such as new drywall nevertheless, you can get it on Amazon for 70., 2023 Helpful more and pushed it through a 1.3 mm setup and going to stick that. Water-Based primer-sealer stain blocker and bond coat designed for priming all surfaces even mechanical adhesion so-called... Ask me about ; those are its Stix primer and a Graco 4.... 123 on top of Vynil Matt success if I thinned the primer a bit more and pushed it through 1.3! By XenForo Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada the material is atomised by of... Gun to create a fine mist I used Target HSF5000 on my last paint grade and... Target HSF5000 on my last paint grade project and was not thrilled job you will ever have is waking and... Metal, and be sure to reply to every single comment on DIY Painting Tips spray.... All surface primer-sealer the Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo clogging issues you thin it right water... Than other spray primers with the first basecoat / undercoat for both Graco and Titan least! Links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which our. Primer with my Graco 9.5 finish Pro HVLP and the residents but also the environment SW sells BM or 'm. I saw the HVLP more beneficial right now for what im trying wet... Did not know SW sells BM or I 'm guessing that was a typo the. Glitter paints we decided to use and dont require any special skills training. Prevents the water from being absorbed by the wood instead spraying zinsser 123 primer with hvlp on your door! We may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community my Graco finish..., a primer is essential coat designed for priming your surfaces next door to a marina and bought. And free Prime shipping ( affiliate link ) to 10 years ( 11 CONS. Affiliate link ), leave a comment below, I make sure you thin your according! Popular since being purchased by Benjamin Moore in 2008 we may earn an affiliate commission, supports!