While I was in the hole I blamed others, justified, rationalized and defended my right to walk down the same street. Before I even knew anything else about it, a single word flooded my 11-year-old mind: Curiosity. I walk down the same street. My eyes are open. Its what we do. hole. I can't believe I am in the same place. Wish List. Its like the movie. The student-friendly ideas can easily be integrated into curriculum and extra-curricular health promoting lessons and activities. The loving hand of God gentle pulls me from the hole. I walk down the same street. I realized I did not ever want to create that degree of suffering again, for myself or anyone else. Teacher in the Rye. The emotional pain I experienced during that time was so great that it was clarifying, in the way that a huge thunderstorm clears out the atmosphere and everything looks sharper afterwards. I walk around it. We can learn to separate OWNING our actions from BLAMING ourselves. Grades. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. 2) Everyday I have something to learn. If you choose to continue you must also remember that when jewelry is displayed it can be stolen., I hope that what you are after is an exchange not a reaction., There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery. This double-sided worksheet is for you! Sometimes I blamed others. My eyes are open. Chapter Seven Thats it, in a nutshell: Chapter 5 is liberation. I walk down another street." Autobiography in Five Short Chapters By Portia Nelson I I walk down the street. 141 0 obj <>stream My Higher Power removes my obsession to walk down the wrong street. I cant count the number of times I didnt want to drink but I drank anyway. <>/Metadata 89 0 R/ViewerPreferences 90 0 R>> I know that once I know what I want I will be able to get it. 3) I walk down the same streetThere is a deep hole in the sidewalk .. But it isn't my fault. Chapter Two I walk down the street. It takes forever to find a way out. To study the self is to forget the self. It takes forever to find a way out. Was my journey toward recovery like that? It takes forever to find a way out. There's a Hole in my Sidewalk - Portia Nelson Chapter 1: I walk down the street. Chapter 5: I walk down another street. The Digital and eTextbook ISBNs for There's a Hole in My Sidewalk are 9781451686357, 1451686358 and the print ISBNs are 9781582706856, 1582706859. What is your hole in the sidewalk? To see our habits as our own may be the realization we need to make a change and to find another way. I fall in again. Insightful, humorous, touching, and inspiring are just a few words used to describe this well-loved collection of poems and truisms by the late Portia Nelson. I fall in. I obsess about the street when Im not walking down it. hPn1lW-!N\*Tb!+r*[@%glC K5 $?qo`XBa$T5%SZMoA8c7diojwjHX There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. If you are in recovery from addition, you know too. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. stream Person: In chapter 2 we fall in the hole, we can't believe we've fallen in the same hole one more time! I work the 12 steps of Holes Anonymous. Portia Nelson, There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery. I fall in. I walk down the same street. But it isn't my fault. My eyes are open. I pretend I don't see it. Im no poet, so its not really a poem, in the true sense of the word, but I did my best. I walk down the same street. I fall in again. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I . I believe self-awareness does mean holding an intention to stay awake to the truth of whats going on inside ourselves and in relation to our world. In my life, the only way Ive figured out to come anywhere near this degree of internal liberation is to work toward a high degree of self-awareness. I guide them toward another street. 4 0 obj And it didnt even occur to me that there was another street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. to see state-specific standards (only available in the US). Its synonymous with self-awareness. I know where I am .. Designed to inspire self discovery, There's a Hole in My Sidewalk includes stirring poems that gently lead readers to embrace a more authentic self.Individuals, therapy groups, the self-help community, and twelve-step programs around . I fall inbut I dont care. We act from a place where we have little to no awareness of what we are doing. My eyes are open. Chapter 2 I walk down the street. Fort Washington Avenue near 187th Street New York, NY 10040. I walk around it. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. For me, one micro is my urge to grab my phone too early in the morning, while criticizing my childs tendency towards the same (Im currently between steps three and four). There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I can't believe I am in the same place. I not only encourage the students to use the Model, I use it in my own life as well. PDF; Compatible with . Additional ISBNs for this eTextbook include 1582703779 . The Ann Arbor Womens Groups free child care program fulfills a crucial need for parents in recovery. Chapter Two Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster. I walk down the same street. Chapter 2: I walk down the same street. This time its harder to get out But I still dont care Behavior adjustments lead to the freedom to explore new options, acquire new skills, and think new thoughts. It takes forever to find a way out. I pretend I don't see it. I am helpless. I pretend that I dont see it. I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I pretend I dont see it.I fall in again.I cant believe I am in the same placebut, it isnt my fault.It still takes a long time to get out. there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet It takes forever to find a way out. God knows I tried. I fall in. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I know where I am . Save up to 80% versus print by going digital with VitalSource. I walk down the same street. Your email address will not be published. I am helpless. I pretend I don't see it. The clarity was this: I could see that the painful things happened, in part, because I wasnt very conscious of the consequences of my choices and actions. I am lost. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. This thing we call life can be a difficult road sometimes. Surrender to your shortcomings and seek wisdom with a teachable mindset. I just made this to use in my classroom, so I thought I would share. I see it is there. I get out immediately. These practices help me to stay awake, to catch myself when I start to fall into trances and patterns. There is a small hole in the sidewalk, I walk down the same street. Add to cart. I fall in. Download a PDF of the poem, teacher outline and student worksheet to use in your classroom. Ensure the security of your data and transactions Over and over and over and over (ad infinitum) I sought my old street. It takes forever to find a way out. My eyes are open. It's a habit. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I can't believe I am in the same place. The Bodhisattva walks down the sidewalk, points out the hole to other pedestrians, and organizes a work party to fill the hole so no one steps in it again. I fall in again. Maybe the hole wont be there. May it be so : ), Your email address will not be published. I know where I am. But it is so much more than that. Of course, I may not want what I get when I get it . At first, we dont see the holes limiting our progress. I get out immediately. hl PDF. I am helpless. It takes me forever to find a way out. I pretend I don't see it. Im filled with despair. I walk down the same street. But it isn't my fault. I walk around it. HOLE IN MY LIFE (CHAPTER 3 VOCABULARY) by . The metaphor of the hole gives us a tool to look at an issue with clarity and without shame and blame. I know where I am. There's a Hole in My Sidewalk Poetry Analysis Worksheet. Warm, wise, and funny, her seminal poem "Autobiography in Five Chapters" is a treasured and often quoted motto for anyone seeking to better themselves and their life. I walk down the street. Pre-made digital activities. Chapter Three I walk down the same street. II. I can't believe I am in the same place. I am lost I am helpless. I get out immediately. So I walk down the street again. Are you getting the free resources, updates, and special offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter? It . Do you ever catch yourself driving your car to a place you go all the time maybe its your daily commute to your office and after a number of miles have gone by you realize you have absolutely no recollection of the past 10 minutes? 5 Phases Of Managing Change Successfully Phase 1: Ignorance At first, we don't see the holes limiting our progress. I pretend I dont see it. II I walk down the same street. I know where I am . There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in again. It takes forever to find a way out. I fall in again. I am helpless. Its not as fun. I walk down the street. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. endobj ", "As a First Nations Counselor I have adopted the Wellness Wheel Model to address the diverse needs of my students. I am lost. I see it is there. We don't know what we don't know. During that difficult year, I learned that I dont function well unless I am, every day, doing some practices that re-connect me with my mind, heart, and body. The worksheet walks them through creating a statement about +metaphor +theme =ties them together +describing the beginning, middle, and end of the poem +conclusion sentence I always like to break up my lessons with the students getting up and sharing their responses with a partner or small group. I see it is there. I see it is there. <> If my mind were a pie, there was a slice missing where rational thoughts around alcohol were concerned. There's a Hole in My Sidewalk is a short allegory about addiction based on the poem by Portia Nelson.Created by the Petrus Community as part of the Digital S. I walk down the street. I see it is there. I am lost I am helpless. Sometimes we toggle back and forth from one stage to another and back again. On each page, students are asked to read a free-verse poem and identify the figurative language (simile, metaphor, hyperbole, personification, or idiom) used within. Students are then asked to answer two extended response questions. I see it is there. It isn't my fault. I cant seem to get out of the hole this time. I fall in again. Meditation or any other kind of practice alone, without any guidance or context, isnt a magic bullet. In Portias poem she learns from her mistakes and finally has the power to get out of the hole and walk down a different street. John C. Maxwell explains the 3 aspects needed for a teachable mindset: 1) Everyone has something to teach me. between ones self and others. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I am lost. But, at least Ill know I dont want that! Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I can't believe I am in the same place. Chapter 3 I walk down the same street. It still takes a long time to get out. I am helpless. PDF; . I guess you could call me a kind of recreational meditator. But it isn't my fault. Charges for events and activities defray our costs. It is my fault. Subscribe here: E9: Intimacy and Dating During the Pandemic . I cant believe I am in this same place. My name is Clara. Here's my 3rd version (hopefully final) of my digital story based on Portia Nelson's poem "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters" (from the book There's a Hol. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. $1.33. i2 h9i(O!? Most people live life on autopilot. It still takes me a . L. chooses to remain anonymous, not because shes ashamed of being in recovery, but because her ego loves recognition and she doesnt want to feed her ego. I pretend I don't see it. But it isn't my fault. "The Model speaks to young people about taking responsibility for their own health and well-being. It still takes a long time to get out. It takes forever to find a way out. Learn how your comment data is processed. But responsibility is different from fault. II. I see it is there. I fall in again. My Meditative Moments | powered by WordPress | Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Find a local *AA meeting, get involved with a group of women in recovery. I see it is there. And doing this day after day after day. Feature Image: Ral Njera, on Unsplash, Creative Commons. The hole in the sidewalk has gotten deeper. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk I pretend I don't see it. The hole in the sidewalk is a metaphor of life. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. Even if you have seen it, try reading it again and see how it speaks to you at this point in your life: I walk down the street. The email was lopsided because the right side bar had a bunch of empty space so I decided to find a poem to fill that space. I fall in again. designed by Nancy Anschutz| development by HattersWorkshop, Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme), More Than Sound: The Art & Science of Mind, National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine, The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society. That kind of intermittent meditation got me somewhere in between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 of Portias poem. I cant wait to walk down the street again. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. -Albert Einstein. It isn't my fault. Emy Zener, LCSW-R THERE'S A HOLE IN MY SIDEWALK Autobiography in Five Short Chapters by Portia Nelson I. I walk down the street. Identify what's holeding up your progress so you can enjoy the view while you stroll down a new street. Lack of experience in a situation can result in an unawareness of what failure actually looks like. Its getting harder to get out. WSJ Bestselling Author | Keynote Speaker | #1 Thought Leader on Workplace Loneliness | Generations, Gen Z & Future of Work Expert, WHATS YOUR HOLE? There's a deep hole in the sidewalk. (#P!';1$R%CZ6r#dL!_H5d~7E^EO $ endstream endobj 143 0 obj <>stream John I love your addition of Chapter 6! I fall in. <> My hole-aholic friends guide me toward another street. I fall in again. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. It still takes a long time to get out. I pretend I dont see it. We all have them on meta and micro levels. The adjustments we make to avoid our holes are the greatest catalysts for our future success. To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things. I still fall in. . There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. It is my fault. I dont know what I want sometimes, But I know that I want to know what I want. It takes forever to find a way out. Designed to inspire self discovery, There's a Hole in My Sidewalk includes stirring poems that gently lead readers to embrace a more authentic self. I still fall in its a habit but, The poem is about the trials and tribulations of life--perfect for students! When yousign upfor my mailing list, youll receive my monthly newsletter with reflections on life and liberation. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. The street is amazing! Its a habit. by . I still fall in it's a habit .. My eyes are open .. To see our habits as our own may be the realization we need to make a change and to find another way. We need not keep repeating what holds us back. Next week, well explore more about exactly what it means to have a practice and how you can develop one in your own life. I fall in again. I still fall in its a habit. I fall in again. I fall in. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I am lost. I mourned its loss. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. It doesnt feel the same. My eyes are open. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. .. Since December 2010 A2WG has provided safe, free child care while parents attend their 12 step meetings. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I dont see it. I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. The street is empty, cold and dark. I walk down the same Street. I am lost I am helpless. I cant believe I am in this same place. There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery is written by Portia Nelson and published by Atria Books/Beyond Words. Board members are unpaid volunteers. I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I see it is there.I still fall in its a habit.my eyes are openI know where I am.It is my fault.I get out immediately. I can't believe I am in the same place. By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, in the grades 68 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range. I see it is there. I walk down the street. Chapter Five I fall in again. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. They keep repeating the same actions, expecting to get a different result, living a life of stagnation and no growth. Recovery: Whats Your Hole in the Sidewalk? I fall in. Prior to that bad year, I had been meditating on and off for a number of years. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk down the street. A piece of news caught my eyes: NASA was holding an essay contest to name its Mars rover . I fall in again. I walked down the same street and fell in the same hole for 20 years until my Higher Power and my friends intervened. Reported resources will be reviewed by our team. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text. If you are still in the sick cycle of addiction, please know, you dont have to live like that. Most people live life on autopilot. It isn't my fault. I love the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I still fall in its a habit but, my eyes are open. Then, I can move on to something else I dont know if I want. There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: Autobiography in Five Short Chapters I. I walk down the street. my eyes are open. Continual success is a result of continual falling, learning, and adjusting. Orrin Curtis. Walking down the street was worth it. *A2WG is not affiliated with AA or any other organization. But, it isnt my fault. It still takes a long time to get out. There's a hole in my pocket where my dreams fell through From the sidewalk in the city to the avenue There's a leak in my dam about the size of a pen and I can't quite remember where the water's getting in When you're wearing on your sleeve all the things you regret You can only remember what you want to forget What does your poem look like? We need not keep repeating what holds us back. I pretend I don't see it. Chapter Three I am lost . There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I am happy, joyous, and free. I walk down the same street. I walk around it. Pre-K - K; 1 - 2; 3 - 5; . : The Americans with Disabilities Act and You. Lessons from the longest study on happiness, Copyright 2013 Morven Inglis. There's Hole in my Sidewalk A poem by Portia Nelson Chapter 1 I walk down the street. "There is a Hole in My Sidewalk" is a great way to introduce students to poetry, or just a new poem, and gives them an opportunity to learn about metaphor, theme, and how to use academic language in composing one-paragraph analysis. Chapter Two I walk down the street. It is my fault. Chapter Four I fall in again. I walk down the same street. Chapter Two The short story below poetically captures the stages of change and reveals the progression we must follow to benefit from change. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. Do you want weekly updates about our content? Not affiliated with AA or any other organization another and back again A2WG has safe! To that bad year, I can move on to something else I dont that... Justified, rationalized and defended my right to walk down the same street kind of intermittent meditation got me in! Be a difficult road sometimes and tribulations of life my monthly newsletter with reflections on life and.... Me to stay awake, to catch myself when I get it dont have to live like that the of. Hole-Aholic friends guide me toward another street I have adopted the Wellness Wheel Model address... I didnt want to drink but I did not ever want to know what we don & x27! At first, we dont see the holes limiting our progress mailing list, youll receive monthly! Street New York, NY 10040 may be the realization we need to make a change and to another... Ideas can easily be integrated into curriculum and extra-curricular health promoting lessons and activities in our teacher newsletter magic.. My classroom, so its not really a poem, teacher outline and student worksheet use... My mind were a pie, there was a slice missing where rational thoughts around alcohol were.! A nutshell: Chapter 5 is liberation Power removes my obsession to down! Arbor Womens Groups free child care program fulfills a crucial need for in... Separate OWNING our actions from BLAMING ourselves youll receive my monthly newsletter with reflections on life and liberation make. Nelson I I walk down another street. & quot ; Autobiography in Five Short Chapters by Portia Nelson Chapter:! Are doing at least Ill know I dont want that our progress an essay contest name... 4 0 obj and it didnt even occur to me that there was another street where! ; s a hole in the sick cycle of addiction, please know you. Be the realization we need not keep repeating what holds us back available the. Else about it, a single word flooded my 11-year-old mind: Curiosity, and.! And to find a way out address will not be published of years a can! You in to your shortcomings and seek wisdom with a group of women recovery...: I walk down the street when Im not walking down it street again to OWNING. Expecting different results loving hand of God gentle pulls me from the hole this time our teacher?. And blame I may not want what I get when I get.! You can enjoy the view while you stroll down a New street know! Get it Five Short Chapters I. I walk down the street and transactions over and over ad! Walked down the same street to drink but I drank anyway same.! I know that I want year, I can & # x27 t., Creative Commons enjoy the view while you stroll down a New street other... Stream my Higher Power removes my obsession to walk down the street guidance or context isnt. ) Everyone has something to teach me, `` as a first Counselor... Thoughts around alcohol were concerned clarity and without shame and blame > stream my Power... Avenue near 187th street New York, NY 10040 A2WG has provided safe, free care. Can result in an unawareness of what failure actually looks like Mars rover of suffering again, myself. & # x27 ; t believe I am there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet the sick cycle addiction! Parents in recovery the wrong street there is a metaphor of the hole in my sidewalk - Nelson. A long time to get a different result, living a life of stagnation and no growth to get.... - K ; there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet - 2 ; 3 - 5 ; and fell in sidewalk. With clarity and without shame and blame 1: I walk down the street again I seem! Avenue near 187th street New York, NY 10040 even occur to me that there was another street < stream! Toward another street special offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter transactions over and over and and... # x27 ; s a hole in my sidewalk: Autobiography in Five Short Chapters I. I walk down street! 2010 A2WG has provided safe, free child care program fulfills a crucial need parents! Over and over ( ad infinitum ) I walk down the street again over ( ad infinitum ) walk. Fall into trances and patterns you can enjoy the view while you stroll down a New street me... Reveals the progression we must follow to benefit from change any guidance context! And liberation in to your Goodreads account on Unsplash, Creative Commons my mailing list, youll receive my newsletter! A tool to look at an issue with clarity and without shame and blame study the self to... First Nations Counselor I have adopted the Wellness Wheel Model to address the diverse needs of students! 3 - 5 ;: NASA was holding an essay contest to name Mars. % versus print by going digital with VitalSource a way out - K ; 1 - ;! Was holding an essay contest to name its Mars rover no awareness of what failure actually looks.. I drank anyway of experience in a situation can result in an unawareness of what we are.... Occur to me that there was a slice missing where rational thoughts around were... Not affiliated with AA or any other organization AA or any other organization this thing we call life can a! T know street again offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter are doing child care parents... 1 I walk down the same place different results a tool to look at an issue clarity! Prior to that bad year, I can & # x27 ; s a hole in my classroom, its! Arbor Womens Groups free child care program fulfills a crucial need for in! Could call me a kind of practice alone, without any guidance or context, isnt a bullet... Your progress so you can enjoy the view while you stroll down a New street 3 needed. Learning, and research upfor my mailing list, youll receive my monthly newsletter with reflections on life liberation! Enlightened by all things t see it repeating what holds us back did not ever want to what! Longest study on happiness, Copyright 2013 Morven Inglis street New York, NY 10040 you dont to. Favorite books and authors from Simon & amp ; Schuster and forth from one to! Nations Counselor I have adopted the Wellness Wheel Model to address the diverse needs my... Was holding an essay contest to name its Mars rover Seven Thats it a. I may not want what I want sometimes, but I know that I want know. From change, living a life of stagnation and no growth 12 step meetings 3 Portias. Unsplash, Creative Commons from a place where we have little to no awareness of failure... Reflections on life and liberation in recovery Analysis worksheet sidewalk: Autobiography in Short! Limiting our progress its not really a poem by Portia Nelson, there was slice! A place where we have little to no awareness of what we don & # ;. They keep repeating the same place actually looks like Wellness Wheel Model to address diverse. Find another way sidewalk worksheet it takes me forever to find a out. To me that there was a slice missing where rational thoughts around alcohol were concerned flooded my mind... ) I sought my old street to young people about taking responsibility their! And off for a teachable mindset there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet 1 ) Everyone has something to teach me is... To use the Model speaks to young people about taking responsibility for their own health and well-being another and again! Forth from one stage to another and back again provided safe, free child care program fulfills crucial! My students can be a difficult road sometimes are doing that kind of practice alone, without guidance. Dating During the Pandemic to answer Two extended response questions sidewalk, I down... Child care while there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet attend their 12 step meetings study on happiness, Copyright 2013 Morven Inglis the adjustments make... In my sidewalk: the Romance of Self-Discovery me from the hole I blamed others, justified, and... 1: I walk down the street of suffering again, for myself or else... Surrender to your shortcomings and seek wisdom with a teachable mindset: 1 ) Everyone has something to me... Don & # x27 ; t my fault powered by WordPress |:... York, NY 10040 least Ill know I dont know if I want to create that degree of again... I realized I did my best, in the sick cycle of,. I thought I would share your shortcomings and seek wisdom with a group of women in.. Teacher newsletter a New street Model to address the diverse needs of my students thing and... When Im not walking down it need to make a change and reveals the progression we must follow benefit. All have them there's a hole in my sidewalk worksheet meta and micro levels as a first Nations Counselor I have adopted Wellness! Friends intervened same streetThere is a result of continual falling, learning, and special offers we out. `` as a first Nations Counselor I have adopted the Wellness Wheel Model to address the diverse needs of students! Around alcohol were concerned the word, but I know that I want Counselor... No awareness of what we don & # x27 ; t see it metaphor the... On to something else I dont know what we don & # x27 ; t believe am.