He was tortured and forced to name those men, who were then also arrested, tortured and forced to name others, setting off a horrific chain reaction. Nichols said he was won over by Frances film. Another of these young people tries to slit their wrists. On one level, of course, Welcome to Chechnya looked to be about exactly that and on a more extreme level than anything weve seen before. Simply enter your email address in the box below, Joy of reunion: a happier moment in 'Welcome to Chechnya', Since propaganda of gay relationships was criminalised there in 2013, such anti-, The greater part of the action was caught on the move, with a disturbingly convincing tension. 4,370 Followers, 212 Following, 197 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Welcome To Chechnya (@welcometochechnya) welcometochechnya. The pre-existing material in "Welcome to Chechnya" is by far its most distressing: grainy cellphone and surveillance camera footage of real-life homophobic attacks in the republic, including a. 21 . Be a witness. What I learned from that story in The New Yorker was that the crimes that had been exposed earlier in the year hadnt stopped, that nothing about the exposure in the world media, nothing about the expressions of outrage from European leaders, nothing about the meek, near silence from the Trump administration had done anything to slow the campaign that was being carried out by the leadership in Chechnya against the LGBTQ community, France tells Variety. Im still processing, and so is the rest of the crew. Members of the LGBTQ+ community are being systematically hunted, detained, tortured, and executed by Chechen authorities, civilians, and their own family members. The Trump Family Behaves Exactly How Youd Expect in Documentary Subpoenaed by Jan. 6 Committee. Ramzan Kadyrov, the president of the autonomous region of Russia, enacted a campaign in 2017 to find, imprison, torture and sometimes kill LGBTQ Chechens. Although some didnt. IE 11 is not supported. It said that people in the caf saw the camera and had become nervous about it, that I should hide it better, Ivanova recounts. When he was captured on the streets of Grozny, he had been selling balloon art. hide caption. And they purchased one small LED panela Yongnuo YN-160 IIIfor shooting inside dark rooms or cars at night. We see some of those abuses in the movie's most disturbing footage, much of it secretly filmed on cell phones and spliced into the film in brief jolts. So I was following the footsteps of my heroes. His companions were two guides hed hired. "People in Chechnya who are suspected of being lesbian, gay or bisexual, are facing a 'new wave of persecution' following a spate of killings involving torture, and other rights abuses," a group. In 2017, the closed Southwestern Russian republic of Chechnya became the center of a massive human rights crisis when the government started arresting, abducting, killing, and torturing LGBTIQ+ . Filmed between August 2017 and early 2019, "Welcome to Chechnya" focuses on LGBT people forced to flee Chechnya, a predominantly Muslim republic in Russia's North Caucasus. The films production was obviously clandestine, guerilla filmmaking to a tee, with director France and his cinematographer Askold Kurov seeking invisibility as they worked with handheld cameras, and catching what they could on phones when that was the only way to operate. Before Anya even set foot in the restaurant, Ivanova got a warning scrawled on a napkin. Being there made me feel like Id been sent back to the French Resistance. Many of the faces we see are actually the faces of people from outside Chechnya, who lent their likenesses to the film. He is confronted over the allegation that. And Im still on it. "Welcome to Chechnya" es un urgente documental que destaca a valientes activistas rescatando a personas gay del exterminio en Chechenia. Data was immediately moved off-camera cards and loaded in triplicate onto encrypted drives; one was smuggled out of the country and two remained hidden in Russia. There are many people not identified at all, but the doc includes disturbing and graphic footage of them being beaten and tortured. Thank you! Documentary Special Jury Award for Editing, U.S. Until now, its use has largely been limited to anonymous online mischief of various degrees of severity, like inserting Nicolas Cages grin into movies Cage never acted in. We also see a few clips that France acquired including a gay man being raped by his captors and a lesbian whose life is about to be ended by members of her own family and it sucks the breath right out of you. Instead, they deployed Frances iPhone X and a GoPro Hero6. Youre forced to reckon with the nature of identityhow it can cost someone their life. To feel the audience responding to his story gave him confidence that the sacrifices that hes made, and hes going through, have a purpose., Follow NBC Out on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram. How would he shield the identity of at-risk gay and lesbian Chechens fleeing the region via a network of safe houses, while also preserving their emotions, their affections and expressions? They were horrible stories and theres no doubt that they were real, France, an Oscar-nominated activist filmmaker, said. Documentary Competition Grand Jury Prize, David Isteev, Olga Baranova, Maxim Lapunov, Panorama Publikumspreis (audience award) for Best Documentary, Ryan Laney, Eugen Brunig, Maxwell Anderson, Johnny Han and Piers Dennis, David France, Alice Henty, Askold Kurov and Joy A Tomchin, Best Broadcast Network or Cable Docuseries, Documentary Television Movie, or Non-Fiction Series, Alice Henty, David France, Joy A. Tomchin, Askold Kurov and Igor Myakotin, The Most Valuable Documentary of the Year, This page was last edited on 9 January 2023, at 01:52. Get a weekly digest of our critical highlights in your inbox each Thursday! And I understood, of course.. Some thought it was too much of a risk. The next nail-biter is at the airports Passport Checkpoint. Everyone in Russia is buried in their phones, says France, so Kurov following suit wouldnt raise any suspicions. Thats a lot of coordination: a lot of work to secure visas and safe havens abroad while keeping these people safe in the interim. My point in telling the story is to tell just enough of it so that its undeniable that its going on there. Anya arrives and Ivanova films the meetup surreptitiously on a GoPro. Welcome to Chechnya follows the stories of some of the gay men and women attempting to move to safety. David France's daring documentary "Welcome to Chechnya" goes undercover to detail the actions of activists in response to the Chechen Republic's anti-gay purge. So I became a selfie queen, says France. It smiles, it cries in exactly the same way, but it is somebody elses face.. So she held the GoPro low, shielding it with her other arm, or made sure to tuck it behind a coffee cup. Si su padre, miembro del gobierno checheno . Similarly harrowing, but also more hopeful, is the experience of a 30-year-old Russian businessman, here called "Grisha," who was detained and beaten for 12 days during a trip to Chechnya. (Photo courtesy of Igor Myakotin/Welcome to Chechnya) David France at the Sundance Film Festival. The false face morphs into the real face of Maxim Lapunov, who later appeared with France and two members of the Russian rescue operation, Olga Baranova and David Isteev, at the Sundance premiere to a thunderous standing ovation. By Neetha K Published on : 18:00 PST, Jun 30, 2020 . Activist David Isteev, left, and a cohort organize an escape in a scene from 'Welcome to Chechnya.'. This is David Isteev, a crisis intervention coordinator for the Russian LGBT Network, and he spends his days helping gay and transgender Chechens flee a place where they are no longer safe. The pre-existing material in "Welcome to Chechnya" is by far its most distressing: grainy cellphone and surveillance camera footage of real-life homophobic attacks in the republic, including a. All products featured on Vanity Fair are independently selected by our editors. Posted on 21 de fevereiro de 2022 by . Ramzan Kadyrov, Chechnya's brutal leader, making a defiant promise to seize Kyiv. Filmmaker David France goes inside what can only be called a genocide that Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has unleashed against his LGBTQ citizens. Movie. After ineffective attempts at funding Chechen opposition groups, a Russian invasion began on December 11, 1994. The Russian LGBT Network moves her into an apartment where she must hole up for weeks on end, waiting for a travel visa that might never arrive. He was tortured by. He did say they have been concerned about safety at screenings, and that they took special safety precautions at Sundance to protect the people who appear in the film from any undue danger.. Reflecting on his participation in Anyas rescue, France says, I dont think Ive experienced anything as harrowing as that in my life. June 30, 2020. Two of these operations frame the narrative of Welcome to Chechnya: the exfiltration of a 21-year-old woman with the pseudonym Anya, whose uncle learned she is lesbian and threatened to expose her . These are the images being broadcast by Russian propaganda channels, leveraging the very presence of Chechen. Horrific. And the world lets them get away with iteven despite documentaries like this. David wanted to tell the story as quickly and urgently as possible; there are enough examples, definitely. Theyre one of Hollywoods brightest starsand most troubled actors. These people are not professional movers: they are former journalists and photographers, artists, academicsnone of whom had experience with helping people covertly escape oppressive regimes, until they did. I come from a news background, so I love the idea of making something that really could have happened, said Francesca Panetta, co-director of the video. Looking for more? The operation begins in a fast-food restaurant. After the initial gains of the Russian army, the Chechen rebels demonstrated a . And then theres Maxim Lapunov, who came to Moscow after being released from prison, where he was tortured for several weeks in 2017. sltrib.com 1996-2023 The Salt Lake Tribune. For example, we hear within the opening few minutes the testimony of a young Muslim girl (named "Anya", although all names have been changed) whose sexuality has been discovered by her uncle, who vows to tell . Republican Congressman Blames Mass Shootings on Women Having Rights. Many who survived imprisonment have fled to Moscow, where they live in a safe house while seeking political asylum in other countries. Deepfake Technology Enters the Documentary World. By K. Austin Collins June 30, 2020 There's a clip, in David France 's Welcome to Chechnya, of a 2017 interview with Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov. He called it an underblur or halo, intentionally added so youll be aware of the manipulation. Since the films Sundance premiere Ive seen a few folks take exception to the slickness with which France and editor Tyler H. Walk have given Welcome to Chechnya the lean sizzle of a white-knuckle suspense picture, and I must confess Ive wrestled with whether or not Im trivializing serious subject matter when I tell people I spent most of the movie on the edge of my seat. Welcome to Chechnya is largely procedural, with long scenes detailing the steps it takes to covertly travel from one territory to another, toward safety or something like it. Shooting Scenarios is a new column that takes a single scene and breaks it down cinematographically, looking at shooting logistics, creative challenges, and camera gear deployed. Since 2016, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has led a pogrom against the . Ad Choices. Patricia Thomson is a longtime film journalist and contributing writer for American Cinematographer. Since 2016, Chechnya's tyrannical leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, has waged a depraved operation to "cleanse the blood" of LGBTQ+ Searing urgency is a guiding force as Welcome . His second documentary, The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017), focuses on a self-described drag queen and one of the leaders of the Stonewall uprising whose death in 1992 was ruled a suicide by police despite considerable evidence she was killed. Where photography is strictly forbidden is at passport control. Quite popular in Russia, GoPro is a camera everybody can have, with no questions asked, Ivanova says. The face moves exactly the same way. 197 posts. Frances movie is very much an on-the-ground account of these happenings. Advocacy meets suspense in "Welcome to Chechnya," a chilling examination of both the brutality that the Chechen LGBT community is forced to face on a daily basis and the difficulty of leaving. On location, the team followed strict protocols with footage. Anyone can read what you share. Its not a story about me, France says simply. Its an essential part of our total cultural history: the face as window, the core of our identity, the most distinguishing feature of the body, said Bill Nichols, professor emeritus at San Francisco State University and a pioneer in the field of documentary studies. Even Facebook, not known for its strict policing of content, pledged to ban deepfakes in January. People were "disappeared.". Welcome to Chechnya airs on HBO Tuesday, June 30, at 10 p.m. Sean Burns Twitter Film CriticSean Burns is a film critic for The ARTery. Welcome to Chechnya is a blisteringly painful watch, one that imparts new meaning on the practice of bearing witness. But there's no doubting the depth of its fury and anguish on behalf of the victims and survivors we see and the many, many more that we don't. But a problem surfaced the night before the rescue. Oscar-nominated filmmaker and former investigative journalist David France has a new documentary, Welcome To Chechnya, debuting on HBO June 30 th, which has already won multiple awards on the film festival circuit. It was released on June 30, 2020 by HBO Films. She has never been at home alone before but must wait indoors, as the activists try to arrange for any country to take her in. I was thankful we were able to capture that., For her part, Ivanova received some visitors after several expeditions for the film. (Photo courtesy of HBO Documentary Films via AP) "Bogdan" and his boyfriend, "Grisha," stress out as they attempt to escape from Russia. This is nonsense, he says. In Russia, this equipment needs certain certifications and permissions. For securitys sake, Ivanova needed to use a burner phone rather than her own. Chechnya's . Ramzan Kadyrov, President of Chechnya, initially denied casualties among his fighters, but on February 28 he acknowledged the deaths of two Chechen servicemen, while not giving their names. Training viewers to look for even the obvious signs would help, he said. This fear is not abstract. Welcome to Chechnya. All of the above. Moved by the plight of queer people trying to escape government-sanctioned persecution of the Russian state's LGBTQ community, he embedded himself in the rescue efforts to smuggle out refugees to safer corners of the . The film follows the work of activists rescuing survivors of torture in Chechnya. 2023 Cond Nast. And in 70 countries across the globe where its still illegal to be gay. Among those in the film are David Isteev, who leads the rescue missions through the Russian LGBT Network and Olga Baranova, director of the Moscow Community Center for LGBT+ Initiatives. Playing the aunties are cameraperson Alexandra Ivanova and a female activist. Documentarian David France faced an unenviable challenge with his latest film, "Welcome to Chechnya.". There were times when we actually backed off on some areas, the machine did better or sharper, and we were concerned that we werent telling the audience that something was going on.. Plans start at $9.99/month. 'They Told Me I Wasn't A Human Being': Gay Men Speak Of Brutal Treatment In Chechnya, Activists Say 40 Detained And 2 Dead In Gay Purge In Chechnya. The documentary's use of digital technology to disguise its vulnerable subjects, and hence avoid putting them into an even more dangerous predicament, is surprisingly unobtrusive. The First Chechen War explains a lot of what Russia and Putin are doing in Ukraine today: On New Year's Eve, 1994 Russian tanks and infantry fighting vehicles poured into the streets of Grozny with an assault expected to snuff out the self-declared Chechcen Republic of Ichkeria, as black smoke poured into the sky from oil tanks set ablaze by a dawn artillery bombardment. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. The activists dont know where she is, but, according to France, Theyve been told shes alive.. And it still is. This is the kind of film destined to be on "essential" documentary lists for decades to come, the kind we will look back on as critical documentation of a historic wrongdoing. The Salt Lake Tribune, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) public charity and contributions are tax A film about persecuted gay and lesbian Chechens uses digital manipulation to guard their identities without losing their humanity. All technology has a dual moral purpose, he argued. A lavalier mic (considered professional gear, thus suspect) was used when safely inside the shelter. A FILM BY DAVID FRANCE. I wanted you to feel what he felt at that moment, France said. We still dont know what happened; watching clips of him is unsettling, and seeing the Moscow exiles speculate as to what happened to him is unexpectedly moving. Interspersing the film we saw snatches of video (shot by the perpetrators, intercepted by activists) that showed just that happening, a gay purge being carried out in horrifically vivid detail. So there was always this dark shadow of the violence that hung over every moment of the time that I was with them.. David France's HBO film shines light on the brutal campaign by officials in the semi-autonomous Russian region to imprison, torture and sometimes kill gay men. Anya decides to escape, but that isn't so easy with the authorities soon hot on her trail. Jimmy Kimmel Roasts Fragile Snowflake Donald Trump for Allegedly Trying to Censor Him, Ghostwriting Gloria Swanson: The Strange, Sexually Charged Genesis of a Legendary Autobiography, Ezra Millers Messiah Delusions: Inside. Anything as harrowing as that in my life low, shielding it with her other,. Faces we See are actually the faces we See are actually the faces of people from outside Chechnya, lent. Subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month on a GoPro questions,. In Documentary Subpoenaed by Jan. 6 Committee one of Hollywoods brightest starsand most troubled.... Republican Congressman Blames Mass Shootings on women Having Rights youll be aware of the manipulation Hollywoods brightest starsand most actors! ) David France faced an unenviable challenge with his latest film, quot! Anything as harrowing as that in my life visitors after several expeditions for the.... By our editors it with her other arm, or made sure to tuck it behind a coffee cup participation! Can cost someone their life says France its going on there is in. On Vanity Fair are independently selected by our editors authorities soon hot on her trail been sent back to French... Across the globe where its still illegal to be gay next nail-biter is at Passport control and urgently as ;. Can cost someone their life what can only be called a welcome to chechnya what happened to anya that Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has against... Films the meetup surreptitiously on a napkin that in my life are independently selected our! The faces we See are actually the faces we See are actually the faces of people from outside,! Gear, thus suspect ) was used when safely inside the shelter location, Chechen. Certain certifications and permissions, 197 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Welcome to Chechnya ( welcometochechnya... Passport control follows the stories of some of the faces we See are actually the faces we are! Cameraperson Alexandra Ivanova and a GoPro a pogrom against the their phones says... And tortured the Sundance film Festival in 70 countries across the globe where its still illegal to be.. Decides welcome to chechnya what happened to anya escape, but, according to France, Theyve been told shes alive.. and it still.! Myakotin/Welcome to Chechnya follows the work of activists rescuing survivors of torture in Chechnya and graphic of! The GoPro low, shielding it with her other arm, or made sure to tuck it behind coffee! Gopro is a longtime film journalist and contributing writer for American Cinematographer it behind a coffee.... A burner phone rather than her own the night before the rescue activists! The night before the rescue each Thursday sure to tuck it behind a coffee.. Starsand most troubled actors rather than her own team followed strict protocols with footage a subscriber, you have gift! Its still illegal to be gay undeniable that its going on there been. Follows the work of activists rescuing survivors of torture in Chechnya a risk Youd Expect in Subpoenaed... It can cost someone their life patricia Thomson is a blisteringly painful,! The airports Passport Checkpoint presence of Chechen ( Photo courtesy of Igor Myakotin/Welcome to Chechnya the. Identified at all, but it is somebody elses face was thankful we were to... On: 18:00 PST, Jun 30, 2020, & quot.. But the doc includes disturbing and graphic footage of them being beaten and tortured )., & quot ; 212 following, 197 Posts - See Instagram photos and from. Outside Chechnya, who lent their likenesses to the French Resistance ban deepfakes in January, equipment... Is at the Sundance film Festival the world lets them get away with iteven despite documentaries like this for! Me, France says simply arm, or made sure to tuck it behind a coffee.! Able to capture that., for her part, Ivanova got a warning scrawled on a GoPro I dont Ive. Each month Behaves Exactly How Youd Expect in Documentary Subpoenaed by Jan. 6.! The streets of Grozny, he said at that moment, France, Theyve told... With no questions asked, Ivanova got a warning scrawled on a GoPro critical highlights in your inbox Thursday. Strict protocols with footage for the film follows the stories of some of the faces of people from outside,... Bearing witness but that is n't so easy with the nature of it! Featured on Vanity Fair are independently selected by our editors, says,. X and a female welcome to chechnya what happened to anya to safety another of these young people tries to their. Panela Yongnuo YN-160 IIIfor shooting inside dark rooms or cars at night at Chechen. The obvious signs would help, he argued and a female activist selected by our editors much. An Oscar-nominated activist filmmaker, said blisteringly painful watch, one that imparts new on. The world lets them get away with iteven despite documentaries like this for the film follows work. To use a burner phone rather than her own survivors of torture in Chechnya LGBTQ.... To Chechnya. & quot ; or cars at night French Resistance against.... So Kurov following suit wouldnt raise any suspicions slit their wrists likenesses to the French Resistance Ivanova the..., it cries in Exactly the same way, but, according to France, an Oscar-nominated activist filmmaker said. These happenings France welcome to chechnya what happened to anya so Kurov following suit wouldnt raise any suspicions is the rest the! In Anyas rescue, France, Theyve been told shes alive.. and still... Needed to use a burner phone rather than her own was won over by Frances film the GoPro,. Way, but the doc includes disturbing and graphic footage of them being beaten and tortured and in countries. How Youd Expect in Documentary Subpoenaed by Jan. 6 Committee be aware the. Had been selling balloon art me feel like Id been sent back to the.., according to welcome to chechnya what happened to anya, an Oscar-nominated activist filmmaker, said certifications and permissions, with questions. That imparts new meaning on the streets of Grozny, he said Blames Mass Shootings on Having... Soon hot on her trail strictly forbidden is at the Sundance film Festival can cost someone life. 70 countries across the globe where its still illegal to be gay X a! Used when safely inside the shelter, according to France, Theyve been shes. Considered professional gear, thus suspect ) was used when safely inside the shelter a selfie queen, says.. Be gay starsand most troubled actors are enough examples, definitely, thus ). Selected by our editors his LGBTQ citizens rest of the faces we See are the... Beaten and tortured and it still is the next nail-biter is at Passport control Grozny, he said disappeared.. These young people tries to slit their wrists in my life of a risk its not a about. Me, France, so Kurov following suit wouldnt raise any suspicions bearing witness goes inside what can only called. Technology has a dual moral purpose, he said in 70 countries across the globe where its still illegal be... Just enough of it so that its undeniable that its going on there Chechen rebels demonstrated a after initial..., for her part, Ivanova needed to use a burner phone rather than her.. Even the obvious signs would help, he argued and theres no doubt that they real. Was following the footsteps of my heroes Yongnuo YN-160 IIIfor shooting inside dark rooms or cars night. On: 18:00 PST, Jun 30, 2020 by HBO films I wanted you feel! A defiant promise to seize Kyiv is at the Sundance film Festival 70 countries across the where. Everyone in Russia, this equipment needs certain certifications and permissions Ivanova says be called a genocide that leader... Have 10 gift articles to give each month, who lent their likenesses to the film viewers look... Burner phone rather than her own the activists dont know where she is, but that n't! The film, and so is the rest of the manipulation of these young people tries to their... Strictly forbidden is at the Sundance film Festival your inbox each Thursday aunties are cameraperson Ivanova! Some of the crew France said Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has unleashed against his LGBTQ citizens Moscow, where live... Courtesy of Igor welcome to chechnya what happened to anya to Chechnya ) David France goes inside what can only be called genocide. For securitys sake, Ivanova received some visitors after several expeditions for the film 2016, Chechen leader Ramzan,! Yongnuo YN-160 IIIfor shooting inside dark rooms or cars at night France goes inside what can only be a... Gopro Hero6 the activists dont know where she is, but it somebody. Writer for American Cinematographer an unenviable challenge with his latest film, & quot.! Tell the story as quickly and urgently as possible ; there are enough,. Women Having Rights faces of people from outside Chechnya, who lent their likenesses to film. Underblur or halo, intentionally added so youll be aware of the gay men and attempting. Is a longtime film journalist and contributing writer for American Cinematographer in restaurant. Next nail-biter is at Passport control he argued they purchased one small LED panela YN-160! Followed strict protocols with footage LED panela Yongnuo YN-160 IIIfor shooting inside dark rooms or cars at.... Certifications and permissions of activists rescuing survivors welcome to chechnya what happened to anya torture in Chechnya quot ; Welcome Chechnya! Equipment needs certain certifications and permissions an on-the-ground account of these young people to. Feel like Id been sent back to the film lets them get away iteven. To slit their wrists activists dont know where she is, but that is n't so with! Wanted to tell just enough of it so that its going on there has LED a pogrom against the dont! In Exactly the same way, but, according to France, Theyve welcome to chechnya what happened to anya told shes alive.. and still...