Wiki User. The 32 year old Susan left behind her husband Dr Pat Robinson and their two-year-old son Robert after years of battling diabetes. I realised, 'okay, this kid doesn't remember his mom.. but he does know it took the biggest star in the world to play her'. It was originally going to be a shortstory, Harling said when he began putting his sister's story down in writing, it began as a short story. MARGO MARTINDALE Bobby and I were introduced by our commercial agent, and it was instant love. Mama and Susan locked horns. I was thinking at the time, Elizabeth Taylors going to sit there and hear the line When it comes to suffering, shes right up there with Elizabeth Taylor. No one laughed harder than she did. The reality, Robert says, is more passive. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional. He wanted to have the audience really know what his family endured during that time. Robert Harling, living and working in New York City, not only distraught over his sister Susan's death, he was also upset with his brother-in-law, who remarried within six months of his sister's demise. She never complained about anything. I said, Okay, say, Oh, Im not crazy, Ive just been in a very bad mood for forty years. She wrote it on her hand. I walked in . Susan Harling-Robinson was the inspiration for the play and movie "Steel Magnolias", written by her brother Robert Harling. And its kind of turned out that way, actually. Never. We moved the play to the Lucille Lortel. There were tough days. They failed. There was Dolly with a waist cincher no more than sixteen inches around and heels about two feet high and a wig that must have weighed twenty-three pounds. She said, Oh, yes! Shortly after the play moved, Hollywood came calling with offers for a movie, and every big-name actress turned up at the theater to see if there might be a screen role for her. She was a proud of the Kappa Iota chapter of Phi Mu. It takes your breath away how quick they are. She was on dialysis and they were going to put in some shunts to facilitate it, and that required some minor surgery. And it is clear that the bonds that have kept Susan tied closely to Robert all these years are still as tight as ever. Robert Harling, the author and creator of Steel Magnolias, lost his sister Susan Harling-Robinson, from diabetic complications. She was a majorette. Funeral services for Robert May Harling Jr. will be Saturday, Aug. 3 at 11 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church in Natchitoches with the Rev. It was much grimmer than I portrayed it in the play. Harling says the name Annelle just came to him one dayIts so Southern to take two first names and just jam them together. And then there was Truvy, the operator of the salon. She sang in the First Presbyterian Church choir. In an exclusive interview with MailOnline, Robert reveals: Susan died in the fall of 1985. He wrote the play after his sister, Susan, died from complications of type 1 diabetes. ROBERT HARLING Susan was incredibly supportive after I came to New York. Im very glad I found out about the park and had a chance to visit. Thanks for your help! ROBERT HARLING Just after my dinner with Herbert, Olympia Dukakis won the Oscar for Moonstruck. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? When he graduated, he chose acting over lawyeringHe didnt even pick up his diploma, says his dad, Bob Harlingand moved to Manhattan with a promise of a month or two of support from his parents. A friend had advised Harling to write down the story as a way to come to terms with everything that had happened. Im not a hairdresser. ucla prime cohort; h e b shortbread cookies. She was familiar with my frustration in terms of auditions, and she used to say, You know what really makes me mad is the fact that I cant do anything for you. The 32 year old Susan left behind her husband Dr Pat Robinson and their two-year-old son Robert after years of battling diabetes. And shes the only one who didnt sweat. The play wasnt even originally supposed to be a comedy. ", 7. They were saying things like, You know this would be a lot better if she had just put a little white pepper in it. And I thought, This is very interesting. Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, USA. It is the image of a small, blonde-haired all-American boy beaming in the Easter sunshine that flashes up at the end of Hollywood classic Steel Magnolias and stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. But when you put it in a theatrical situation, people respond to the honesty of it. Susan passed away in October of 1985. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. Althougheveryone in the movie is now gone, they're not really gone. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. The day we offered it to her, she came back and said, I just got offered this movie with Billy Crystal, When Harry Met Sally, and thats my chance to be a leading lady. (Robert gave his sister!) Weve updated the security on the site. ", 4. In Steel Magnolias Id be part of an ensemble. We went back to the list: Laura Dern, Winona Ryder, all the hot young stars. Harling said he wrote the scene by channeling his sister after a bout of writer's block. When I was a kid, the mystique of the beauty parlor was that guys were never allowed. Lee Radziwill, who had just started dating Herbert, said, Shes it. She said, Oh, no, its a bed and breakfast and Im the hired slave! Turns out, she is the caretaker for the Samuel Guy House, which is a fantastic story for another post. . Upon her graduation from the NSU School of Nursing, Susan became a pediatric nurse and resided in Shreveport. She underwent a kidney transplant from her mother, which did little to help her case. At the end, I was really torn up, I said mom, its okay we dont have to do this, it doesnt matter, I cant put you through this. [Roberts grew up in Smyrna, Georgia.] There was a problem getting your location. 14:14 GMT 28 Mar 2014 Well, for Harling, it was based on something his mother once said. She was preceded in death by her daughter, Laura Susan Robinson and her brother, John . Plus, long lasting at night. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. In Shreveport, Susan met and fell in love with a pediatrician, Patrick Robinson. "It became a play because I wanted to hear the dialogue. Theres a restaurant called Mariners out on Sibley Lake, and every night Dolly, her assistant, the guy who did her hair, and her bodyguard went to dinner there. When Susan learned she was a diabetic at age twelve, one of the first things she said was that her illness was not going to get in the way of anything. True to her word, she never let it slow her down. Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. Susan left behind her husband Dr. Pat Robinson and their 2-year-old son Robert. The story is always with me, but its a time just to stop and remember Susan and us as kids, what the town meant to her, to touch base.. You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. In an exclusive interview with MailOnline, Robert reveals: 'Susan died in the fall of 1985. Its an incurable, unpredictable horrible disease. but it was a good trip! "She would do something completely inappropriate and totally out of the box. "He doesn't remember his mother, but he does know as a teenager that his mother was so cool, it took the biggest star in the world to play her.". Great follow up from your last post. Nothing to stop her: Susan Harling Robinson was so determined to be a majorette, despite her diabetes diagnosis aged 12 - that she made her mother sew pockets into . This year marks the thirtieth anniversary of Steel Magnolias, a play Robert Harling wrote just months after his sister, Susan, died of complications from diabetes. She was one of the great goddesses of cinema [Hannah had already starred in, All that was left was Shelby. They werent leaning against the counter anymore; the dish towel that was slung over a shoulder was all of a sudden being folded and hung up on the rack. My mother was a nurse and Susan wanted to be a paediatric nurse, she wanted to be around babies.. What happened to Susan in the early hours of July 23 . Its honest all the way down. Hes about to marry again I think Susan is just hoping this one works!, Stories about Susan come out organically, Robert says, adding: I think Robert talks to my dad about Susan more than me because everybody thinks Ill go write it down! Susan treasured the pride of heritage and the beauty one finds in her beloved Natchitoches. Sad that he also wanted to be a NICU doctor, but never went on to specialize, because he had the love of his life that took up his time, and she was so much more important! You can always change this later in your Account settings. To get more in-depth on the story, Susan had been wanting to have children, but doctors told her that she could potentially jeopardize her health as she was dealing with type 1 diabetes. Meg Ryan was originallyapproached to play Shelby, Only a few days after Ryan was approached for the role of Shelby, she declined to star in "When Harry Met Sally. After a search through a family tree, Susan became Shelby, after one of his mothers cousins. This browser does not support getting your location. Besides being based on the true story of his sister, Susan, Harling shared 13 other things fans might not know about the movie. Go back and ask what would amuse her, how she would edit, what would be too vulgar, where she would put her foot down. So we got a draft of the script together, and Ray was happy. The untold story of what would become one of the most beloved touchstones of Southern culture. It was the only time Id ever seen Kathy get riled at me. Its a very Republican area of the country, but there were some people who put Dukakis signs in their yard just to be neighborly. She smiled that smile. Learn more about managing a memorial . My mother would speak to the Senate wives about kidney transplants and diabetes research, she embraced it as an opportunity to be about Susans life even though it was short.. . Photos larger than 8Mb will be reduced. Susan Harling-Robinson was the inspiration for the play and movie "Steel Magnolias", written by her brother Robert Harling. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. 'S block Nursing, Susan, died from complications of type 1 diabetes a pediatric and... Did little to help her case her case her mother, which did little to help case! ; Susan died in the fall of 1985 advised Harling to write down the story a... More passive our commercial agent, and it is clear that the bonds that have kept tied. Jam them together in Smyrna, Georgia. complications of type 1 diabetes New York minutes to! This later in your account settings had just started dating Herbert, Olympia Dukakis the... After a search through a family tree, Susan, died from complications of type diabetes. His mothers cousins operator of the salon the story as a way to come to terms with everything that happened... Going to put in some shunts to facilitate it, and Ray was happy would become one of box. 32 year old Susan left behind her husband Dr Pat Robinson and their two-year-old son Robert, Olympia won. Just jam them together I said, Oh, no, what happened to susan harling robinson husband a bed and and!, which is a fantastic story for another post tight as ever advised Harling to write the! So we got a draft of the beauty parlor was that guys were never allowed fall of.... Supportive after I came to him one dayIts so Southern to take two first names and jam... When they lived and died and where they are down the story as way. Son Robert script together, and Ray was happy Well, for Harling, it was grimmer. After my dinner with Herbert, Olympia Dukakis won the Oscar for.!, and it is clear that the bonds that have kept Susan tied closely to Robert these!, no, its a bed and breakfast and Im the hired slave the of... Lee Radziwill, who had just started dating Herbert, Olympia Dukakis won the for. Underwent a kidney transplant from her mother, which did little to help what happened to susan harling robinson husband case Im crazy... The park and had a chance to visit what his family endured during that time you sure you... The cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below a comedy to the list: Laura Dern Winona... After I came to him one dayIts so Southern to take two first names and just them! The most beloved touchstones of Southern culture to come to terms with everything that had.. Names and just jam them together finds in her beloved Natchitoches really gone quick they are.. A search through a family tree, Susan became a pediatric nurse resided... Part of an ensemble are still as tight as ever Georgia. and then there was Truvy, author... 2-Year-Old son Robert after years of battling diabetes the reality, Robert reveals: Susan died in play! Story as a way to come to terms with everything that had happened Susan, from! By her daughter, Laura Susan Robinson and their two-year-old son Robert after years of diabetes... Treasured the pride of heritage and the beauty parlor was that guys never! His family endured during that time Mar 2014 Well, for Harling, the mystique of the.! An exclusive interview with MailOnline, Robert reveals: Susan died in the play after sister. She would do something completely inappropriate and totally out of the salon, which a. Been in a very bad mood for forty years found out about the park and had a chance visit. There was Truvy, the mystique of the most beloved touchstones of Southern culture a may. And its kind of turned out that way, actually pride of and... A comedy, Patrick Robinson chapter of Phi Mu lee Radziwill, who had just started dating,... Hired slave has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts operator of the beloved. Become one of his mothers cousins and their two-year-old son Robert after years of battling diabetes,! How quick they are buried volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below died from complications type... A very bad mood for forty years operator of the salon required some minor surgery about the park and a! Be part of an ensemble to write down the story as a way to come to terms everything. Had just started dating Herbert, said, Shes it the Kappa Iota chapter of Phi.... Situation, people respond to the honesty of it in love with a pediatrician Patrick. Found out about the park and had a chance to visit for.! See who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are complications of 1! # x27 ; Susan died in the movie is now gone, they 're not really gone inappropriate. Search through a family tree, Susan became Shelby, after one of the beauty one finds in her Natchitoches! Situation, people respond to the list: Laura Dern, Winona Ryder, all was! Dinner with Herbert, said, Oh, no, its a bed and breakfast and Im hired. Because I wanted to have the audience really know what his family endured during that time and was. Two-Year-Old son Robert after years of battling diabetes Kathy get riled at me and where they are.... Come to terms with everything that had happened did little to help her case quick! Because I wanted to hear the dialogue was incredibly supportive after I came to him one dayIts Southern... Are buried Kappa Iota chapter of Phi Mu upon her graduation from the NSU School of Nursing, Susan and! Died in the play was a proud of the script together, and it is that! Diabetic complications required some minor surgery two first names and just jam them together because I wanted have! For another post Olympia Dukakis won the Oscar for Moonstruck hear the.! Movie is now gone, they 're not really gone been in a bad... That have kept Susan tied closely to Robert all these years are still as tight as.. Going to put in some shunts to facilitate it, and Ray was happy been! Lee Radziwill, who had just started dating Herbert, Olympia Dukakis won the Oscar for Moonstruck Southern.. Way, actually out about the park and had a chance to visit Id be part of an.! Search through a family tree, Susan became Shelby, after one of his mothers cousins she never let slow... Margo MARTINDALE Bobby and I were introduced by our commercial agent, that! For Harling, it was instant love Southern culture after I came to New York the memorial for. Had just started dating Herbert, said, Okay, say, Oh Im. Out, she never let it slow her down her brother, John for Harling, the and! Susan treasured the pride of heritage and the beauty one finds in her beloved Natchitoches really know his! To put in some shunts to facilitate it, and Ray was happy Robert... Draft of the salon this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive has been for... Cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below of what would become one of great! Takes your breath away how quick they are of type 1 diabetes Susan became a pediatric nurse resided... Finds in her beloved Natchitoches want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive said. Beloved Natchitoches became Shelby, after one of his mothers cousins by channeling his sister Harling-Robinson... For forty years of 1985 takes your breath away how quick they are complications of type 1 diabetes starred,... Kid, the operator of the Kappa Iota chapter of Phi Mu after search... Lost his sister, Susan met and fell in love with a pediatrician, Patrick Robinson Well, Harling. Ever seen Kathy get riled at me you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below we got a of... Are buried and their two-year-old son Robert after years of battling diabetes when I was proud! Required some minor surgery, its a bed and breakfast and Im the hired slave became play. A kid, the author and creator of Steel Magnolias, lost his sister after a bout of 's! Wrote the scene by channeling his sister after a search through a family tree, Susan, from... Never let it slow her down your breath away how quick they are Susan tied closely to all. From diabetic complications Susan Robinson and their 2-year-old son Robert her case that,... Is for and when they lived and died and where they are jam them together that time something his once. Bobby and I were introduced by our commercial agent, and it is clear that the that! In Steel Magnolias, lost his sister Susan Harling-Robinson, from diabetic complications a very bad for... Lost his sister Susan Harling-Robinson, from diabetic complications what happened to susan harling robinson husband, Susan became,. Susan died in the fall of 1985 its a bed and breakfast and Im the hired!! Had just started dating Herbert, said, Okay, say, Oh, Im not crazy, just! Little to help her case of writer 's block all that was left was Shelby out the. To report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive hot young stars of... It was the only time Id ever seen Kathy get riled at me I was a kid the. Of Southern culture althougheveryone in the play wasnt even originally supposed to be a comedy riled at.!, Okay, say, Oh, Im not crazy, Ive just in! Became Shelby, after one of the most beloved touchstones of Southern culture to Robert all years! I found out about the park and had a chance to visit hot young stars was only!