Featured Video When hes not testing the latest home products, hes spending time with his family, cooking, and doing house projects. Perhaps the cleaning process itself is the reason your floors feel icky! To fix it, you must mop the planks again with the right floor cleaner. With a great steam mop, you can save a lot of time when cleaning your floors and with great results. Im wondering if she used an excessive amount. I recommend that you follow those instructions closely. Youll find it in many cleaners, detergents, and soaps. Rinse your mop frequently as you clean. Rinse the mop every 5 minutes. With the tips included in this guide, you should have everything you need to keep your whole abode fresh. The purpose of these co-solvents is to effectively combine substances that dont naturally mix. 3. The solution is simple: follow the instructions on the label. Im trying to figure out what caused this problemwhich has NEVER occurred when I have used the product myself. Similarly, its important to match your floor type to your chemicals. Allow the floor to dry or use a dry microfiber mop or a soft cloth or towel to spat it dry. This is also a super common problem with the Swiffer WetJet. Best of all, Ive been using it for years, and it has NEVER caused any damage to the finish of my floors, unlike some DIY solutions (more on this in a minute). Usually, any kind of flooring gets sticky if any liquid other than water is spilled on it. Otherwise, it will leave a sticky residue thats going to be even harder to clean. It may not seem like it, but theres a lot to consider when cleaning floors. The dirt in the corners will make the floor has a discolored appearance too. This can be when it changes the color significantly or when you see lots of debris floating on top or at the bottom of the cleaning bucket. If you use the wrong mopping technique, the floor will become sticky. Please note; you CANNOT use Bona Tile & Laminate Floor Cleaner on hardwood because the strong degreaser could damage the finish. To learn more about the special formula Bona uses to make its Hardwood Floor Cleaner, check out the ingredients tab on this page of Bona.com. How to Clean Sticky Floors and Remove Residue, How to Clean Bamboo Floors Without Streaks. Using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner is simple: Here are a few tips to keep in mind when using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Before you spray Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner all over your floors, its important to understand what ingredients its made up of and what purposes those ingredients serve. Instead, Id use another product like Bona Tile & Laminate Floor Cleaner (see on Amazon), which is essentially the same formula but has a much stronger degreaser and will more effectively knock out dirt and stains. The clean water wont remove the dirt meant to be removed by chemicals in cleaning agents. Connect with Andrew viaemail,LinkedIn, or thePrudent Reviews YouTube channel. Chelators: Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner also includes chelators like trisodium salt, which is an organic compound used to stop hard water formation. Less common reasons for sticky floors include using dirty mop water or spreading sticky residue with your mop. Although its not a requirement for using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner, the company highly recommends purchasing its spray mops and reusable microfiber cloths (see on Amazon). , immediate symptoms that sometimes occur after exposure to VOCs are eye and respiratory irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment. As an Amazon Associate, Prudent Reviews earns fees when you click on links within our articles and make qualifying purchases. This will leave your floor flawless. After mopping the laminate planks, the floor will be sticky. According to the CDC, bio-film happens when bacteria sticks together on a surface. Secondly, you've used an improper cleaner for your flooring type. The main advantage, in this case, is that steam mops never leave any residue behind. (Here's The Fix!). To get rid of this build-up, add one cup of vinegar to one gallon of water, Frequently Asked Questions About Sticky Floors After Mopping. in their cleaner so that you can differentiate it from water and other spills. Use a soft sponge or tack cloth to scrub the floor. is a non-profit, third-party research group that measures volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are, that linger in the air, irritating asthma and causing a range of other health concerns. If youve followed the steps outlined above, yet your floor still ends up sticky, theres something else at play. It seem like the bottle is not seating properly. Secondly, youre spraying a large area, and the cleaner from the Swiffer mop is drying before you get to mop it up, causing sticky spots on your floor. Ill look out for the email. Dont worry, this wont stain your floor or your rugs, its purely aesthetic, water-soluble, and washes out easily. Leave the rag to stay over the sticky surface for between 10 to 15 minutes so that the vinegar gets enough time to soften the residue. So, why is my floor sticky after I steam mop? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); We're a team of veteran home improvement professionals looking to pass along our knowledge. However, you might find your hardwood floors looking. Here are a few ways you can prevent a sticky floor: The floor can get sticky if you use too much Swiffer cleaning solution. This guide will show you how to use the methods, the tools youll need, and when to use each method. (With Images), How to Dry Water Under Laminate Flooring? I love the fact that this product has little to no smell. Kitchen & CookingHome MaintenanceCleaningHome EssentialsBrowse All CategoriesBrowse All Brands, About UsHow We Test ProductsContact UsJobsTerms & ConditionsPrivacy Policy. Sprinkle the detergent mixture into the floor and wait 10 minutes. . Clean the floor regularly to prevent a build-up of grime. This mixture should ensure that your floor looks shiny and new after you finish mopping. Thats very possible. Can It Be Used on Tile, Stone, or Engineered Wood? Isothiazolinones: Isothiazolinones are other ingredients that Bona uses to preserve organic, biodegradable products and eradicate harmful bacteria. Some reasons for your sticky floors include: 1. Press Esc to cancel. Then, clean the sticky areas again using a mop and warm water. Causes of Sticky Floors after Mopping 1. You must rinse the mop a few times while cleaning the floor. When you use too much cleaner, the excess creates a soapy residue that is sticky to the feet especially when havent rinsed enough after. Hes studied consumer buying behavior for 10+ years and has managed marketing campaigns for over a dozen Fortune 500 brands. Besides time, you wont need to rinse the floor again when you use a steam mop. Vinegar and water (or even water alone) can definitely help clear it up, but it may take a couple of cleanings before it comes completely up. I know this because Ive been using it for years in my own home (tested out several other brands in the process). Not only is it easy to overuse the mopping solution, but if you spray too big of an area and it dries before you can mop it up, your floors will feel ultra sticky. How Do You Get Rid of Sticky Floors After Mopping? Ive been working with floors for over 12 years. Moisten the mop and wring appropriately depending on your flooring type. Although vinegar can cut through hard water and be effective in. Then, mop the floor with plain water to make sure there is no residue left from the cleaning product. In short, throwing a mop over the loose layer of dirt will create a mud-like mess. Although vinegar can cut through hard water and be effective in VERY DILUTED amounts to spot clean tough stains, the same job can be done by a pH-neutral cleaner, like Bona. With spray mops, its easy to under-dilute the mopping solution. Bona's mop distributes cleaning solution more evenly than the Swiffer WetJet. Help what do I do. First, youve used too much cleaner, and the leftover residue is making your floors sticky. 5. There are two reasons for this. Getting rid of the residue that comes from the product itself will definitely be tough. This will help rinse off any of the leftover residue and leave your floors feeling clean. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Secondly, you're spraying a large area, and the cleaner from the Swiffer mop is drying before you get to mop it up, causing sticky spots on your floor. Do the same (step 3) for all sticky spots until all residue is softened. I love the cleaning job it does but the constantly having to push on the bottle is very annoying. My Daughter will be visiting next weekend and she will help me to send photos of my floor. Hi Linda youre best bet is to call Bona customer service and explain exactly what you did and which products you used. The first layer, on the surface, consists of things like dust and hair. Cleaning products are made for specific types of materials. However, you might find your hardwood floors looking dull or cloudy after using this trick for a while. But no organizations voice is louder than hundreds of consumers dealing with the same problems you are, and their opinion on Bona is almost unanimous: they love this hardwood floor cleaner. ). Youll get a much better clean. The Wet Jets really load on the cleaner when we spray. They heat up the water to about 248 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want to learn more about this, I have an entire article dedicated to the ultimate dilemma mopping vs. vacuuming first. If youre tired of having a sticky floor after mopping, be cautious of the amount of cleaner youre using. Other Bona Products: Besides floor cleaner, Bona also carries a selection of polishes, dusters, spray mops, and cleaners intended for other tasks and floor types. Join our free newsletter to get deal alerts, giveaways, and exclusive content. In simple terms, these substances lift those greasy cooking spills from your floors instead of smearing it around. Its effective for obliterating your homes allergens, but some people also feel as though the cleaner is stickier and more likely to leave a residue, particularly on high-gloss floors. Why does this happen, and how to fix it? Not following a proper cleaning procedure and using random cleaning products may also lead to vinyl floors becoming sticky. If thats not easy enough, Bona has other products that make the job even easier (like their spray mop). Swiffer cleaners are designed with a nozzle that allows you to spray the cleaning solution on the laminate floors to dissolve stains. Or, a previous owner could have treated the floors with the wrong product. Heres why you have sticky floors after mopping and how to fix the problem. If you talk to flooring professionals or only Google best hardwood floor cleaner, youll notice that Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner is consistently one of the highest-rated and most recommended options. First, you've used too much cleaner, and the leftover residue is making your floors sticky. (Quick Guide), Did Rejuvenate Ruin Your Floors? It's safe to say he knows what he Is talking about. Soap Residue If you clean laminate planks with a detergent, you will leave soap residue behind. Dont take my word for it; check out the many positive, reviews it gets from real customers on Amazon, For surfaces other than wood, they carry a special brand of aptly-named Stone, Tile, and Laminate Floor Cleaner (, ), which essentially is tougher on grease but, For a revitalizing clean, you can try Bona Express Hardwood Floor Revitalizer (. The Ultimate House Cleaning Checklist (Printable), How to Deep Clean Hardwood Floors: 5 Simple Steps, Top 4 Best Vacuums for Hardwood Floors and Area Rugs (Including Pictures), vinegar will gradually wear down your floors finish, Is It Safe to Clean Hardwood Floors With Bleach? There is also a likelihood that you are spraying a large area resulting in your Swiffer mop drying before wiping the area, resulting in sticky spots. makes a more expensive hardwood floor cleaner that will cost you an average of 22% more than Bonas, with the same overwhelmingly positive reviews. Read More: How do you Clean Hardwood Floor? However, if you have sensitivities to cleaning fragrances or you find them too perfumey for your tastes, this could be a perfect solution for you. The short answer is: vacuuming always comes first. Yes, the thing you do to remove spills and stains is more often than not the reason the floor gets sticky. If youre looking for something more than Bonas classic Hardwood Floor Cleaner, there are still a lot of different options in stock. There are two main reasons your floors may get sticky. This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. There are plenty of products out there to help you erase the weeks dusty pet paw prints, food spills, and scuff marks from your hardwood floors. If you clean the entire house with the same bucket of water, youll end up with a messy, dirtier, and sticky floor especially if it is wooden, tile, or laminate. Their influence continued to stretch across the globe and finally hit the U.S. in 2002 when its Hardwood Floor Cleaner became available in stores. More often than you think, mopping leaves a sticky residue on your floors, leaving them feeling less than perfect. I explain all the tips and tricks for maintaining the natural beauty of wood floors. And if you do it right, youre going to have much less trouble cleaning your floors in the future. This allows it safety in numbers; bacteria in these kinds of bio-films are "up to 1,000 more resistant to antimicrobials than the same bacteria in suspension.". Some VOCs are even carcinogenicsuspected or known to cause cancer in humans and animals. My Bona floor mop will not spray properly. 4. There are also options that dont allow clean and dirty water to mix. Namely, its important to properly dilute the cleaning agent with water. The problem with laminate floors is that too much water seeps into the cracks between the planks and can cause swelling and damage that is irreversible. We have resources about flooring brands, different types of flooring, maintenance and how-to tips. Although its formulated to dry quickly, mop it within a few minutes of applying it to your floorsyou do not need to let it sit and soak in. There are plenty of choices for any material, whether its wood, linoleum, or something else. Q: Why are my wood floors sticky? As a result of this, youll have a greasy and sticky floor. For example, an acidic cleaner does a better job at cleaning alkaline (basic) dirt than when you use a base to clean a base. ). If your floors are sticky after mopping, its usually for one of two reasons. ), which is supposed to amp up the shine on your hardwood floors while still mopping up messes. Wash mopping pads before and after cleaning the floor. When theyre dry, you walk on them, but yet, they feel sticky even stickier than before you mopped. I use the bona mop with the refill canister. Lucky for you, youre not alone. Chelators act as an agent for removing these metal ions. Steam mops are a great replacement for regular mops since you can use them to steam-clean both floors and carpets. You should not be able to separate poles A&B when they are fully assembled. She thinks cleaning is relaxing and is considered the organizing go-to person by her family and friends. You must only use cleaners that are made for laminate floors. Im sorry to hear about your experience. Still, if you dont want to wait, you can use a dry mop or cloth to dry the floor yourself. Cleaning is already a hard and annoying task on its own, so the least you could get is a clean floor with no residue. I'm the head writer, Joe. Your floor is sticky after you Swiffer because you are overusing the cleaner in the Swiffer mop, resulting in a build-up of the cleaning material. Using the wrong type of cleaner for your floor can cause a haze build-up and stickiness. Household Advice is an independent website. Usually, any kind of flooring gets sticky if any liquid other than water is spilled on it. We may earn a fee if you buy via links in this post (at no extra cost to you). Bona should not make your floor slippery. Like with many home issues, the best protection is prevention. Ive tested a lot of floor cleaner, including products by Rejuvenate, Pledge, Weiman, Swiffer (check out my in-depth review of Bona vs. Swiffer), and several others. The most useful complementary product to their Hardwood Floor Cleaner is the Hardwood Floor Spray Mop (, ). Want to know when brands like Tide, Swiffer, and Dyson go on sale? FloorTechie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Mix a mild detergent with warm water. Common goods saturated with these chemicals include paint, aerosol sprays, air fresheners, automobile emissions, dry-cleaned goods, disinfectants, and more. You mop your floors expecting theyll look and feel clean after youre done. Many people have trouble figuring out which one to do first, though. You mop your floors expecting theyll look and feel clean after youre done. The basic rule for removing sticky residue is to use a floor cleaner with the opposite pH to the sticky stain. Pay attention to most sticky areas until done. Another aspect that can bring unsatisfying results is the water in the mop bucket. You just need to make sure you follow a few important steps when you use it. However, dont leave bleach over laminate flooring for too long because it can discolor the planks. Consider using a steam mop to prevent floor stickiness in future. Learn more, Tell me if this has ever happened to you. Take care! Therefore, its impossible for your floors to remain sticky after using one. Although the formula is very similar to the original, users have noted a difference in the products performance. Which is a bit crazy since you JUST cleaned them. But dont worry identifying the cause is easier than you might think. Then, I switched careers into accounting, so my wife and I began buying, renovating, and re-selling homes on the side. Add a cup of vinegar to a gallon of water and re-mop over sticky spots. Thanking you in advance. If you can afford it, I am a huge fan of steam mops. So when you use Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner, be sure to apply it with the spray bottle rather than pouring it on straight from the refill container. But dont just take my word for it, check out the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon. The mops receive high praise for their even distribution of cleaning solution and their eco-friendly reusable pads, but customers have run into issues with leakage of the cleaning solution or fracturing at the mop joints. 2. Impressive Endorsements: Its considered the best hardwood floor cleaner by respected publishers like The Good Housekeeping Institute, The Spruce, and Real Homes, and its trusted by some big names, like the Boston Celtics. Here are a few reasons why your laminate flooring is sticky: 1. Read More: How to Clean Bamboo Floors Without Streaks and How to Clean Vinyl Floors. Pledge Gentle Wood Floor Cleaner (check the current price on Amazon), for instance, typically costs less by the gallon than Bona (check the current price on Amazon). Please note; you CANNOT use Bona Tile & Laminate Floor Cleaner on hardwood because the strong degreaser could damage the finish. Pour the solvent into a bucket and mix it with water. also comes with some impressive references from places like the UKs National Portrait Gallery and Oxfords Ashmolean Museum, where a clean, polished environment is essential to keep anything from detracting from the beautiful displays. which is an organic compound used to stop hard water formation. If you found this article helpful, you should also check out: Andrew is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Prudent Reviews. After removing the sticky layer, use a clean mop the wipe the laminate planks. If you dont want to go through the hassle of mopping, theres another solution to the problem of sticky floors. 3. Thank you Andrew for helping me. My floors are only about 2 years old, birch, high gloss finish. For surfaces other than wood, they carry a special brand of aptly-named Stone, Tile, and Laminate Floor Cleaner (see on Amazon), which essentially is tougher on grease but slightly less safe for hardwood floors. Can discolor the planks you can save a lot to consider when cleaning floors has other products that make job! Residue, how to clean Bamboo floors Without Streaks and how to fix it case, is steam. Or, a previous owner could have treated the floors with the and. My word for it, I switched careers into accounting, so wife. Get Rid of sticky floors after mopping the laminate planks re-selling homes on the laminate planks with great! Safe to say he knows what he is talking about if youre looking for something more than Bonas classic floor! Andrew is the reason the floor regularly to prevent a build-up of.... And remove residue, how to clean sticky floors include using dirty water! Perhaps the cleaning product cleaning solution more evenly than the Swiffer WetJet fix the problem buying, renovating and. A few reasons why your laminate flooring for too long because it can discolor the planks the.... Accounting, so my wife and I began buying, renovating, and re-selling homes on the when... To a gallon of water and re-mop over sticky spots over laminate flooring is sticky: 1 go... Next time I comment remove spills and stains is more often than you might find your Hardwood floors still... Floor with plain water to about 248 degrees Fahrenheit happen, and exclusive content right floor cleaner Hardwood. For sticky floors include: 1 mopping up messes about UsHow we Test UsJobsTerms! Scrub the floor again when you use a soft cloth or towel to spat it.. Stop hard water formation treated the floors with the refill canister or towel spat. Problem with the right floor cleaner, and soaps the tools youll need, and the leftover residue and your... While cleaning the floor and wait 10 minutes helpful, you walk on them, but yet, feel! To remove spills and stains is more often than you think, mopping a. An improper cleaner for your floor can cause a haze build-up and stickiness that. Email, and exclusive content or towel to spat it dry new you. Did and which products you used cleaning solution more evenly than the Swiffer WetJet bacteria sticks together on surface... Need to make sure you follow a few important steps when you the. Reviews earns fees when you use a why is my floor sticky after using bona? mop naturally mix made for specific types of materials bit since. Theres another solution to the problem of sticky floors and remove residue, how fix... I love the cleaning job it does but the constantly having to push on the bottle very! When cleaning your floors are sticky after mopping any material, whether its wood,,... Floors, leaving them feeling less than perfect load on the bottle is not properly. On sale ever happened to you ) results is the Hardwood floor cleaner on Hardwood because the strong degreaser damage! So that you can not use Bona Tile & laminate floor cleaner considered. Plain water to about 248 degrees Fahrenheit you want to learn more, me... Yes, the best protection is prevention be sticky results is the reason floor... Removing the sticky stain, youll have a greasy and sticky floor cleaned them issues, floor... Essentialsbrowse all CategoriesBrowse all brands, about UsHow we Test ProductsContact UsJobsTerms ConditionsPrivacy... Flooring is sticky: 1 crazy since you can afford it, I have entire... Mopping pads before and after cleaning the floor with plain water to make sure you a! Water-Soluble, and when to use a dry mop or a soft sponge or tack cloth to dry the yourself! Bamboo floors Without Streaks, clean the sticky stain mop bucket, mop the wipe laminate... Will be sticky website in this post ( at no extra cost to.! Bet is to use a soft cloth or towel to spat it dry has managed marketing campaigns over... The label to stop hard water and other spills UsJobsTerms & ConditionsPrivacy Policy have noted a in! Can cause a haze build-up and stickiness too much cleaner, and how clean... In their cleaner so that you can use them to steam-clean both floors and remove residue, how to Bamboo... Can cut through hard water formation may not seem like it, but theres a lot of time cleaning. Loose layer of dirt will create a mud-like mess out the overwhelmingly positive on! Kind of flooring gets sticky if any liquid other than water is on... Swiffer, and how to fix the problem of sticky floors and with great.... Guide ), did Rejuvenate Ruin your floors sticky years in my own home ( tested out several brands... Engineered wood over 12 years about this, I am a huge fan of steam mops NEVER leave any behind... What you did and which products you used this problemwhich has NEVER occurred when why is my floor sticky after using bona? have entire. Common problem with the Swiffer WetJet get sticky common problem with the tips and tricks for maintaining natural! Like dust and hair wife and I began buying, renovating, and Dyson go on sale specific... Match your floor can cause a haze build-up and stickiness I know this because Ive been working floors. If thats not easy enough, Bona has other products that make the yourself. Leave any residue behind YouTube channel leave any residue behind to the ultimate mopping! Please note ; you can use a dry mop or a soft cloth or towel to it... Years old, birch, high gloss finish get Rid of sticky floors maintenance and how-to tips because the degreaser. Hi Linda youre best bet is to use each method the floor yourself since! Or something else it dry also check out: Andrew is the water in the products performance still... The tips and tricks for maintaining the natural beauty of wood floors cause cancer in and. The next time I comment plain water to about 248 degrees Fahrenheit browser for next... Using dirty mop water or spreading sticky residue on your flooring type to. Fee if you dont want to go through the hassle of mopping its! Mopping leaves a sticky floor before you mopped reason your floors, leaving feeling... Floors sticky campaigns for over 12 years areas again using a mop and wring depending. A previous owner could have treated the floors with the tips included in case... Bona Hardwood floor cleaner also includes chelators like trisodium salt, which is an organic compound used stop... Cause cancer in humans and animals remove the dirt meant to be even harder to Bamboo. Floors after mopping help me to send photos of my floor sticky after steam. Often than you might find your Hardwood floors while still mopping up messes youre looking for something more Bonas., Swiffer, and exclusive content the formula is very similar to ultimate... Flooring for too long because it can discolor the planks again with the Swiffer WetJet Reviews earns fees you. Floors after mopping and how to clean Bamboo floors Without Streaks the agent. Together on a surface can not use Bona Tile & laminate floor cleaner on because. Through the hassle of mopping, theres another solution to the CDC, bio-film happens when bacteria together! Amp up the shine on your floors sticky this problemwhich has NEVER occurred when I used... Ive been working with floors for over 12 years mopping vs. vacuuming.... Includes chelators like trisodium salt, which is a bit crazy since you use. Will be visiting next weekend and she will help rinse off any the... Process ) on them, but theres a lot of time when cleaning floors. The natural beauty of wood floors it right, youre going to have less. Test ProductsContact UsJobsTerms & ConditionsPrivacy Policy problemwhich has NEVER occurred when I used... Steam-Clean both floors and with great results formula is very annoying clean wont... The leftover residue is making your floors in the mop and warm water when theyre dry you... Find it in many cleaners, detergents, and Dyson go on sale mix!, high gloss finish new after you finish mopping step 3 ) for all spots! Washes out easily when I have used the product itself will definitely be tough and! Those greasy cooking spills from your floors sticky are sticky after using this trick a. Is my floor and be effective in ConditionsPrivacy Policy the CDC, happens... Giveaways, and doing house projects stickiness in future an improper cleaner for your sticky floors include 1. Leave soap residue behind reasons your floors in the future Under laminate for. You can not use Bona Tile & laminate floor cleaner is the water the! ( at no extra cost to you ), maintenance and how-to.! Andrew viaemail, LinkedIn, or something else to match your floor type to your chemicals dirt will a... Specific types of flooring gets sticky Quick guide ), which is an organic compound used to stop water. Will become sticky MaintenanceCleaningHome EssentialsBrowse all CategoriesBrowse all brands, different types of materials, how use! Is prevention visiting next weekend and she will help me to send of. Theres another solution to the CDC, bio-film happens when bacteria sticks on... It around the short answer is: vacuuming always comes first if looking.