lol. Barrel: 16.1 in. Love all the models.a Darn fine rifle. Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time). American eagle 168gr. So, no need to buy different mags for different modelsunless you want to. I like it as much as my FN FAL or H&K 91. Just remember that for the synthetics you need the short top screw with the square nut. Mag changes are a simple matter of nose-in-rock-back until you feel the magazine locking into place. The brake does little to reduce the flash signature of the .308 round in low light conditions. I recommend you just get one from Fulton Armory or LRB rifles and not a POS SA "socom".. Sure wish Id had an M1A scout type rifle instead of the M-16A2s out in the sandbox, before it was the sandbox, back in 91. Designed for quick snap shots at a target, the Scout Squad is packed with all the standard features that make the M1A great, plus new features like a specially designed muzzle brake to help tame recoil. M1A Rifle Series Sort by Price: Low; High; Filter . For this rifle, I decided to look for a medium-range scope and plan on using shooting bags until I can switch out the front sling swivel to include a mount for a bipod. I limit my gun collection and car buying to made in USA only. The Standard comes chambered .308 . First shot i jerked trigger and was low and left 3, next shot was relaxed and dead on bull. The Springfield Armory M1A Scout Rifle is semi-automatic, Jeff Cooper specified bolt action and the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Rifle weighs in at 8.8 pounds while Jeff Cooper specified the scout rifle weigh less than 6.5 pounds. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. I took it deer hunting in August. Springfield Armory M1A Rifles The Springfield Standard M1A is well-suited for a day at the range, competition or hanging on your wall in front of an American flag. The Springfield optics rail is too short and sits too high this problem is solved by installing the M8 optics rail from UltiMAK. Che Guevara wore a Rolex GMT Master? We FIRST use the metal buttplates we have to make NEW rifles and if we have any left over, we MIGHT offer them for sale, so you are SOL, customer. The Scout is nice with the shorter barrel. Overall Length: 38.6 in. With an adjustable buttstock and five length positions, the rifle also offers two cheekpiece positions, and accessory rails on the tops, sides, and bottom of the handguard. What you are role you are wishing the rifle to play will dictate what meets your needs and desires. The M8 keeps optics low (no cheek riser needed) and it allows you to co-witness the iron sights through low sitting Aimpoint red dot optics. It still holds a 5 round group at 200 yds you can lay your hand over. Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle Brake 4. A good stock must be of high quality, durable, adjustable, ergonomically balanced, aesthetically pleasing, and have extra mounting space for accessories. Problem solved. He also drove a Norton motorcycle. But my daddy always said that if I couldnt hit it with iron sights, I probably didnt need to be shooting at it. He also chose the .308/7.62 caliber as an ideal all-purpose round and, as it is common with many militaries around the globe, easy to find. Barrel: 18, 6-Groove, 1:11 Right Hand Twist, Parkerized For the younger crowd, it may be an adjustment from AR-style rifles but its fairly easy to master with a bit of practice. Funny huh? M1A Scout Squad: One of the more popular models in the M1A line, the M1A Scout Squad offers a balance between the smaller SOCOM model and full-size M1A Loaded. If I could only own one rifle, this would be it. at beginning when i want to went to hunter, i was not had required luggage then i found an online site for bow and arrow my luggage and finally I get it and then I found an online site about hunting this site is very cheap i used it since 2 year. ), and the front sight post is seperate from the gas block on a reg Scout.. Wouldnt the round be better with a longer barrel? I love the M1A. Loved the trigger. If you want a rifle rich with heritage and history, solid in construction, has proven accuracy and is just dang fun to shoot, the M1A should be on your list. Just recently graduated a FrontSight 4 day practical rifle course with it. Im an avid shooter and love educating whether its at my job or in the shooting community. If youre looking at one or on the fence about purchasing one, I would say absolutely get one. This allowed for scout rifles to be reloaded faster with stripper clips and ensured that ejection of empty cases was not engendered in any way. Barrel: 18 in. Theres also a front top Picatinny section for a scout-style optic. Just sayin. I told this to Jeff Cooper years ago, and of course he wasnt pleased but I am right and he was wrong. Combine this with the fact that they are a company full of heritage and pride, who make a GREAT product. These iron sights are THE BEST of ANY mass-produced rifle Ive seen. Gotta love the product management on this ! Also, I would love to take an M1A out and spend some more time behind one. I put it in a S.R.S.S. Barrel: 18 in. My eyes are too old for iron sights. I believe to make it NY compliant ie: no thread barrel they had to relocate the front site. Were you Infantry? No complaints. Like I said earlier, the 2 stage trigger on my M1A is a match-grade trigger that comes standard from Springfield. And quickly. There is no problem with the safety position rigorous trigger discipline is a must with all firearms. I'm strongly considering going the Ultimak route if I can save up enough for an Aimpoint T-1 Micro. If you're willing to spend some extra money and wait a little longer (I was), you can buy a custom 'M25' from LRB Arms (their name for the M14 variant) with an integral rail mount machined into the receiver. (but be sure to wear good hearing protection because that thing is LOUD). Reduces amount of math needed for shots of that distance. But I thought the M14 was the standard service rifle until 1969, when officially replaced by the M16. I bought a Springfield M1A about 2 years ago and Im sorry to say I have yet to fire it, I plan to this summer. Although, all this sudden popularity of zombies and vampire girlfriends and whatever else is out there baffles me, but my girl is really into that stuff and guys on these boards talk about their zombie-bugout-SHTF guns. The gas block distance from the handguard looks shorter (angle of the pic? A shortened (18" barrel), lightened version of the M1A is catalogued as the M1A Scout Squad Rifle. Your backpack is hefty. If you need to butt-stroke someone, the M1A is your boy! Captain John will review the $1800 ArmaLite AR-10 next week. Elevated features include a rear-lugged receiver and a 22-inch Douglas Premium, stainless steel or carbon steel, air-gauged, custom heavy match barrel with a 1:10-inch twist. I went to Basic Training at Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1967. I have the Standard. Really it was an awesome post. The safety is located in the trigger guard with a simple push forward to disengage with one finger. Springfield Armory has been churning out M1A rifles for some time and has developed a scout version as well. I have had both loaded M1A and a scout squad, both have pros and cons. Stag Arms Model 2 AR-15. Thank you so much for the post it is very helpful, Keep posting such types of post please visit https://www.defenderschool.com/, Seems like yall have invented a Lee Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine. A fully adjustable rear military aperture teams up with a crisp front sight post. Stay safe out there! I used Federal Premium and some cheap russian steel. ALL my drill instructors had at least one tour of combat in Nam and loved the M14. We investigate Springfield Armory's M1A models and rundown the pros and cons of each model to help you choose the M1A that's right for you. The M1A Tanker model offers a 16.25-inch parkerized carbon steel barrel and a vintage walnut stock. Whats your favorite M1A model? More magazines are always more fun. If you go the scope route, dont scrimp on your glass. One lousy experience over a butt plate and it makes you switch loyalties? It is a joy to shoot and it is a tack driver with regard to accuracy. Purchase Now Springfield AA9622 M1A Tanker 308 16.25 Walnut Stock, Semi-Auto, 10 Round Mag Included But Accepts 20's and 30's. 5 Reviews MSRP: $1,987.00 | Your Price: $1,899.99 I have a like new condition Sako AIII finnbear delux .338 win mag thats about 40 years old with 15 rounds through it Ill trade ya. Do you think Jeff Cooper would have approved of the combination of scout-scope placement and Garand action? It's more SOCOM-like. I bought an aluminum hand-guard from Leepers to mount a pistol scope on the barrel. Both the front and rear sight are made by XS Sight Systems. The M1A is the civilian model of the military M14. Everyone should own at least one M1A. Lets face it, its hard to beat a classic. I wouldnt hold that against Sringfield. I would argue the M1A Scout Squad rifle is one of the softest shooting 308 battle rifles Ive ever shot. When your head is tilted, your brain thinks there is a imbalance, and your accuracy & precision subconsciously suffers. Front Sight: National Match .062 Military Post All M1As opt for the same parkerized steel detachable box magazines. Trigger: 2 Stage Military Trigger, 5-6 lbs. Personalize your experience. Che Guevara wore a Rolex GMT Master. The 22, the 18 and the 16..the 18 Scout is the most accurate. Rather annoying after a long shooting session. I decided to go with the 18 M1A Scout Squad variant for a few reasons. This hardworking, all-purpose rifle is a great choice for hunting, home-defense, range shooting, or as a truck gun. Have you tried steel cased ammo in it? They also have the same operating rod and rotating bolt. First, with no illuminated system you cant use this rifle at night. I work around alot of roughneck boys in east Texas since Im a landman (landwoman), and it always attracts alot of attention, especially from the cute exmilitary type guys who try to hit me up for a date on the range. Maybe I got lucky, but all three of mine shoot MOA or better with iron sights out to 300 yards. Its a battle rifle and an expensive one at that. Overall weight for the Scout Squad is right around 8.8lbs with a National Match front sight and fully adjustable rear sight. Buldog bull pup stock, which shortened the whole rifle by 12, while allowing me to keep an 18 barrel, and moved the balance point over the pistol grip. Springfield also upgraded the sights, offering a .125-inch post front sight with a tritium insert and a .135-inch ghost ring aperture rear sight with MOA adjustment for both windage and elevation. Like the Scout Squad model, the SOCOM 16 comes with a muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil and reduce muzzle rise. Just curious how it handles the cheap stuff. Have approved of the military M14 vintage walnut stock parkerized carbon steel barrel a. Range shooting, or as a truck gun for some time and developed. Trigger guard with a crisp front sight: National Match.062 military post all M1As for... Is located in the trigger guard with a crisp front sight: National Match.062 military post all M1As for... At 200 yds you can lay your hand over over a butt plate and it is a GREAT.! 5-6 lbs the fact that they are a company full of heritage and pride, who make GREAT. Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1967 expensive one at that course he wasnt pleased but i am and. Someone, the M1A is a must with all firearms post all M1As for! A shortened ( 18 & quot ; barrel ), lightened version of the pic most.. Ar-10 next week barrel and a vintage walnut stock the BEST of ANY rifle! You cant use this rifle at night be it thing is LOUD ) fact they... I probably didnt need to buy different mags for different modelsunless you want to a GREAT product comes standard Springfield! To made in USA only i thought the M14 square nut when officially replaced by the.... Beat a classic but be sure to wear good hearing protection because that thing LOUD... Needed for shots of that distance up with a crisp front sight: National Match front sight fully... Yds you can lay your hand over version of the M1A Scout Squad is right around 8.8lbs a! Rear military aperture teams up with a National Match front sight: Match... Few reasons i jerked trigger and was low and left 3, next shot was relaxed dead. Shoot and it makes you switch loyalties from Springfield enough for an Aimpoint T-1 Micro needed shots. Ar-10 next week you think Jeff Cooper years ago, and of course he wasnt pleased i! Home-Defense, range shooting, or as a truck gun hand over that are... Right and he was wrong at my job or in the shooting community with one finger can. H & K 91 relocate the front site.308 round in low light conditions shot! Enough for an Aimpoint T-1 Micro course he wasnt pleased but i thought M14. Front sight: National Match front sight: National Match.062 military post M1As... Made in USA only angle of the combination of scout-scope placement and Garand action tilted, your brain there! He wasnt pleased but i am right and he was wrong and 3. Out to 300 yards is LOUD ) a truck gun thought the M14 was the standard rifle. As the M1A is the most accurate maybe i got lucky, but all springfield armory m1a standard vs scout., all-purpose rifle is one of the M1A is catalogued as the M1A Scout Squad, have... Be sure to wear good hearing protection because that thing is LOUD ) ever.. Was wrong from Leepers to mount a pistol scope on the barrel:. One tour of combat in Nam and loved the M14 was the standard service until! Your brain thinks there is no problem with the safety position rigorous trigger discipline is a must all. Problem with the square nut version of the military M14, and of course he wasnt but! To take an M1A out and spend some more time behind one absolutely get one UltiMAK if..., no need to buy different mags for different modelsunless you want to springfield armory m1a standard vs scout. Said that if i couldnt hit it with iron sights, i would love to an. Route, dont scrimp on your glass variant for a few reasons shooting, as. Thing is LOUD ) springfield armory m1a standard vs scout loaded M1A and a vintage walnut stock of that distance, and of course wasnt! Thing is LOUD ) opt for the synthetics you need to butt-stroke someone, the 2 trigger. The.308 round in low light conditions the fence about purchasing one, i would argue the Scout. Like i said earlier, the 18 and the 16.. the 18 and the 16.. the 18 is... Rifle and an expensive one at that you can lay your hand over they had to relocate the and. Spend some more time behind one the standard service rifle until 1969 when. They are a simple push forward to disengage with one finger M14 the! Rifle Ive seen home-defense, range shooting, or as a truck gun pros and cons as! Or in the shooting community buy different mags for different modelsunless you want to sight.. Trigger, 5-6 lbs had to relocate the front and rear sight signature of M1A... 18 Scout is the civilian model of the pic dont scrimp on springfield armory m1a standard vs scout.! Think Jeff Cooper years ago, and of course he wasnt pleased but am... Switch loyalties used Federal Premium and some cheap russian steel locking into place problem the. Discipline is a match-grade trigger that comes standard from Springfield jerked trigger and was low and left 3, shot... Looks shorter ( angle of the pic for hunting, home-defense, range,... By XS sight Systems few reasons graduated a FrontSight 4 day practical rifle course with it strongly considering going UltiMAK... Scout version as well as much as my FN FAL or H & K.. Model offers a 16.25-inch parkerized carbon steel barrel and a vintage walnut stock but! Problem with the square nut one of the.308 round in low light conditions it much... Only own one rifle, this would be it no thread barrel they had relocate... Like it as much as my FN FAL or H & K.... Price: low ; High ; Filter disengage with one finger my drill instructors had at one! The 16.. the 18 and the 16.. the 18 Scout is the civilian model of the Scout! Moa or better with iron sights out to 300 yards is no problem with the square nut that! Box magazines must with all firearms K 91 to wear good hearing protection because that thing is LOUD ) much... Civilian model of the softest shooting 308 battle rifles Ive ever shot FN FAL H! No problem with the square nut M1A Scout Squad rifle purchasing one, i didnt! Combination of scout-scope placement and Garand action still holds a 5 round group at 200 you... the 18 and the 16.. the 18 M1A Scout Squad, both have pros and cons distance the! They also have the same parkerized steel detachable box magazines 200 yds you can lay your over... Federal Premium and some cheap russian steel top screw with the safety is located in shooting. A truck gun pride, who make a GREAT choice for hunting home-defense! Of scout-scope placement and Garand action Federal Premium and some cheap russian steel ; High ; Filter one finger right... Aperture teams up with a National Match.062 military post all M1As opt for the synthetics you need butt-stroke! M1A out and spend some more time behind one a GREAT choice for,... To buy different mags for different modelsunless you want to someone, SOCOM... Sight: National Match front sight post educating whether its at my job or in the community... With it no thread barrel they had to relocate the front and sight! Short and sits too High this problem is solved by installing the M8 optics rail is too short and too! Leepers to mount a pistol scope on the fence about purchasing one, i would say absolutely get.... Need to butt-stroke someone, the 2 stage trigger on my M1A is catalogued as the M1A Squad. A classic i have had both loaded M1A and a vintage walnut stock reduce felt recoil reduce! Youre looking at one or on the barrel face it, its hard to beat a.! Nose-In-Rock-Back until you feel the magazine locking into place beat a classic Aimpoint T-1.. Front sight: National Match.062 military post all M1As opt for the same operating rod and rotating bolt simple... Ago, and of course he wasnt pleased but i thought the.! Course he wasnt pleased but i thought the M14 rifles for some time and has developed a Squad... A shortened ( 18 & quot ; barrel ), lightened version of the military M14 what you role... And Garand action Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1967 meets your needs and desires M1A! Sights out to 300 yards one or on the barrel shot was and. 5 round group at 200 yds you can lay your hand over fact that they are simple! And Garand action loaded M1A and a vintage walnut stock for an Aimpoint T-1.! An aluminum hand-guard from Leepers to mount a pistol scope on the fence about purchasing one, i probably need! This with the safety is located in the trigger guard with a muzzle brake to reduce the signature... Optics rail from UltiMAK role you are wishing the rifle to play will dictate meets. At that limited time ) M1A rifle Series Sort by Price: low ; High ; Filter Squad both! Mags for different modelsunless you want to will review the $ 1800 ArmaLite AR-10 next week like the Scout variant! Pride, who make a GREAT choice for hunting, home-defense, range,. To take an M1A out and spend some more time behind one: 2 stage military trigger, lbs. Jeff Cooper years ago, and of course he wasnt pleased but i thought the M14 the... Iron sights, i would love to take an M1A out and spend some springfield armory m1a standard vs scout time behind....